• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who were you in the playground?

In reality, I was a slightly better version of Drewe Broughton who could clap my hands and shout encouragement with the best of them, but could control a ball further than I could kick it and had the mobility of an asthmatic ant weighed down with shopping. Its a sobering thought to think that if I had worn wrist bands I could have been a professional footballer.

I'm afraid I can't see you scoring the goal that took us to Cardiff.

;)

I liked to think I was Steve Tilson an all-action goal-scoring left-sided midfielder, who could also play up front, central midfield and left-back, maybe even in goal at a push with a sweet left-foot and the greatest ever slide-tackling technique.

In reality, I was a slightly better version of Drewe Broughton who could clap my hands and shout encouragement with the best of them, but could control a ball further than I could kick it and had the mobility of an asthmatic ant weighed down with shopping. Its a sobering thought to think that if I had worn wrist bands I could have been a professional footballer.

You are Tony Richards and I claim my £10 reward.

Being a right sided midfielder at the time I looked up to the barnstorming performances of Paul Byrne before he got fat and disappeared!
If I keep up my current beer intake Im going to start looking like him.

Sad to say that I didn't really get into SUFC until the Wignall year(s?), thus I was *failing* to be one of Berkamp, Owen, Gerrard, Beckham, Cantona, Giggs or any other top-notch midfielder/attacker.

Suffice to say that my complete inability at the time to kick a ball straight meant it all went a little pear-shaped.

When very small I followed QPR, so I was always Dave Thomas or Don Givens.
After discovering SUFC in my teenage years then I would become Martin Ling or David Crown. Unfortunatley I never had thier dribbling skills and so all attempts at spectacular solo efforts tended to end with me flat on my face.

Dave Martin for me. All action, goal scoring midfielder who liked to put the boot in a bit as well. He also had the best song 'Oh Martin takes no...no sh&t..'

...but you aren't ginger?:D
True...but a lot of the kids thought we were related so it was good way of kidding them on, plus it also helped blank out the only real sporting personality I actually had any real familiy connection with at the time.
In fact this is bringing on a lot of bad childhood memories!

David Beckham.

Now I'm gonna be in goal next season, I'll be Flahavan.

I was George Best. Everybody was. Whether they supported Man U or not. There was a damn lot of 8 year olds with beards in those days IRRC. lol.
Fave SUFC player at the time was his namesake Billy Best.

I was always Ricky Otto, Then when he left and I started watching spanish football I was Predrag Mijatović

Mark Overmars- don't know why but always was, 24 goals in a season from LM isn't a bad turnover :)

Me and my brother were obsessed with the giants of international football from an early age, so I was always Paulo Rossi, Michel Platini, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Eder or Zico

In junior school, Andrei Kanchelskis.

That was due to a mixture of the first names being similar, me being a fast right winger with a powerful shot and the fact I liked to wear similar boots with the big white floppy fold over tongue. ;)

Back