• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's it going to be?

I'm struggling to understand this. Between his managerial experience and his well documented outbursts and trail of drama he leaves in his wake, I cannot see this being a great appointment. I am leaning massively towards wanting Barrett at this point (given the candidates we know that are in the mix), but it's not my decision to make and if Campbell gets the nod, I'll definitely get behind him.

View attachment 9328

The figures supplied there don't show the context of his managerial reign at Macclesfield. He went and motivated and drilled a team that were 7 points adrift and not getting paid to football league survival.

The trail of drama you speak of can't all be attributed to him. The Macclesfield and Notts County scenarios were cases of broken promises and him walking away.

I've seen his interviews post Macclesfield and the desire he has to prove himself in management as well as the playing environment he created at Macclesfield which was part of his ethos and I buy into it. He seems like a guy with a clear plan and one that is realistic for this level.

Surely a former forward knows how a defensive unit should work to make it difficult for opponents. I don't get this thing where only ex-defenders can sort out the back line. A professional, qualified manager who has spent most of his (or her) life in the game one way or another should have a good understanding all over the pitch. It's like saying we won't score goals if we have a former defender in charge. Also, a manager has a team of coaches at his disposal.

Alex Ferguson was a striker. But he knew that solid defences win you titles.

The figures supplied there don't show the context of his managerial reign at Macclesfield. He went and motivated and drilled a team that were 7 points adrift and not getting paid to football league survival.

The trail of drama you speak of can't all be attributed to him. The Macclesfield and Notts County scenarios were cases of broken promises and him walking away.

I've seen his interviews post Macclesfield and the desire he has to prove himself in management as well as the playing environment he created at Macclesfield which was part of his ethos and I buy into it. He seems like a guy with a clear plan and one that is realistic for this level.

Indeed, those figures show a team achieving enough points to avoid relegation comfortably, something that seemed extremely unlikely when Campbell walked in.
I think the Southend job would be the best fit of the several now vacant. I wouldn't mind him at Sunderland but can't see him being considered and he'd be wise to avoid our managerial graveyard.

A fair point, but if your comment neutralizes his statistical records, then we're back to square one since we have no other data or examples to draw upon.

How will this fare at Southend? Ron is notorious for blowing hot air and it's been well documented that we've not paid players and staff in the past. Wouldn't that make us a fairly "iffy" combination with Sol Campbell?

Hopefully Adam is the preferred choice. There will be lots of legal and financial issues around him leaving Millwall and coming here. Hopefully Ron is on reasonable terms with Steve Kavanagh and they can broker a deal. Maybe these negotiations have contributed to the delay in appointing AB.

Hopefully Adam is the preferred choice. There will be lots of legal and financial issues around him leaving Millwall and coming here. Hopefully Ron is on reasonable terms with Steve Kavanagh and they can broker a deal. Maybe these negotiations have contributed to the delay in appointing AB.

Delays are normally down to an agent trying to squeeze every last penny, especially as they know the Chairman really wants that man for the job.

A fair point, but if your comment neutralizes his statistical records, then we're back to square one since we have no other data or examples to draw upon.

How will this fare at Southend? Ron is notorious for blowing hot air and it's been well documented that we've not paid players and staff in the past. Wouldn't that make us a fairly "iffy" combination with Sol Campbell?

And what positive data samples do we have for the other candidates to draw from? We don't. We can only compare what is available to us and if the alternatives are Barrett or Larsson then we have a bad track record and a non existent one.

The Ron issue would be a risk, but I can't see any manager taking well to broken promises. Don't see this as a risk unique to Sol.

And what positive data samples do we have for the other candidates to draw from? We don't. We can only compare what is available to us and if the alternatives are Barrett or Larsson then we have a bad track record and a non existent one.

The Ron issue would be a risk, but I can't see any manager taking well to broken promises. Don't see this as a risk unique to Sol.
I think it substantially increases the chance of him walking the first time the players don't get paid on time and who could blame him after what he's seen at Macclesfield. A manager who hasn't experienced that scenario before could be somewhat more tolerant.

Adam Barrett: Win% = 100

Statistical data is always useful in a meaningful way only when analysed with context, which Ricky Otto did very clearly.

While my heart says Barrett my head tells me we’d have a far better chance of survival with Campbell than any other candidate. I’m hoping for Campbell - Barrett is for the future once he’s cut his managerial teeth somewhere else.

Harris and his assistant left but Barrett was kept on, which suggests they rate him there. He has been given an opportunity to stake a claim for a big job in the Championship. I know he loves the club but if he swaps that for us, he is likely to find himself managing in League 2 next season when he could do a good job with Millwall and potentially put himself on the ladder for a bigger job.

Harris and his assistant left but Barrett was kept on, which suggests they rate him there. He has been given an opportunity to stake a claim for a big job in the Championship. I know he loves the club but if he swaps that for us, he is likely to find himself managing in League 2 next season when he could do a good job with Millwall and potentially put himself on the ladder for a bigger job.

I don't think they would have instantly dismissed him the moment Harris and Livermore resigned though - where would that have left them for the next game? I strongly believe Adam Barrett will not be the next Millwall manager...still none the wiser as to whether or not he will be ours though!

Ron's obviously been busy recovering some CV's from the shredder and sticking them back together.

Agree it's now beyond ridiculous and that statement being put on the OS and pulled a few hours later speaks volumes.

Ron's obviously been busy recovering some CV's from the shredder and sticking them back together.

Agree it's now beyond ridiculous and that statement being put on the OS and pulled a few hours later speaks volumes.

3 managers at least have been sacked/resigned since Bond left. Perhaps they've now come into the frame.

Back