• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's it going to be?

Two more managers become free agents. Ross has gone at Sunderland and Stendel from Barnsley. Sunderland were 6th in the league...and they sack him!!

Two more managers become free agents. Ross has gone at Sunderland and Stendel from Barnsley. Sunderland were 6th in the league...and they sack him!!
apparently he was lucky not to go at the end of last season, apparently automatic promotion was the target set last season, this year would be harder as they off loaded most of the prem contract players, so 6th is a good start in my opinion.

Surprised he lasted the summer. When you’re paying Cattermole 30k a week and several players over 10k a week, you surely have to get promoted. However unfair that may be considering the player turnover he would have needed to oversee...

But am sure he was paid rather nicely for his troubles!

Last edited:
apparently he was lucky not to go at the end of last season, apparently automatic promotion was the target set last season, this year would be harder as they off loaded most of the prem contract players, so 6th is a good start in my opinion.
6th in League 1 for Sunderland a good start hahahaha

Ross was very lucky to retain his job after the debacle in the play-off final. He made the same mistake so many managers do, trying to protect a lead instead of increasing it. This resulted in the numerous 1-1 draws we ran up, cost us promotion against Charlton in May and has now cost him his job.

Ross was very lucky to retain his job after the debacle in the play-off final. He made the same mistake so many managers do, trying to protect a lead instead of increasing it. This resulted in the numerous 1-1 draws we ran up, cost us promotion against Charlton in May and has now cost him his job.

I suspect the truth is that the Sunderland board discovered he had applied for the Southend job.

Is it me or is this a new thing?

I'm sure years ago managers never took a forward off for a defender / midfielder to protect a slender lead, they just went on as before?

Now it appears de rigueur.

7/2 sol Campbell you watch his odds go up lol
I really do think it’s time we drew a line under all this discussion, by finishing up,as per usual, with A.O.B.
This of course reads: AnyOne but Barrett ! Please !
That said Sol Campbell is a (big) bit of a loony and wouldn’t stay long anyway.

I really do think it’s time we drew a line under all this discussion, by finishing up,as per usual, with A.O.B.
This of course reads: AnyOne but Barrett ! Please !
That said Sol Campbell is a (big) bit of a loony and wouldn’t stay long anyway.
I still think Ron is holding out for Barrett I can’t see him getting the job at Millwall

Latest from TheSackRace...

Adam Barrett 4/5
Henrik Larsson 13/8
Neil Harris 8/1
Sol Campbell 10/1

Everyone else - including Waddock - is 33/1 or higher.

Is it me or is this a new thing?

I'm sure years ago managers never took a forward off for a defender / midfielder to protect a slender lead, they just went on as before?

Now it appears de rigueur.

Yet everyone was delighted when it paid off at MK Dons....

It might not be all clear and transparent BUT it adds up to AB.
The Millwall turbulence muddles the timing; and for AB he either gets the M'Wall job or he gets a good compensation kiss goodbye....win win for him.
BUT the silliness is Ron having to wait longer to get the man he is after when the Wombles game is a HUGE potential season changer.

Ross was on thin ice before the season started, based on their forum he likes to park the bus if they are drawing the match, not exactly what you want in charge when you are aiming for the autos. They're getting rid early whilst the gap between them and 2nd isn't too large.

It might not be all clear and transparent BUT it adds up to AB.
The Millwall turbulence muddles the timing; and for AB he either gets the M'Wall job or he gets a good compensation kiss goodbye....win win for him.
BUT the silliness is Ron having to wait longer to get the man he is after when the Wombles game is a HUGE potential season changer.
He only gets the kiss goodbye if he stays till they get their replacement and they don’t want him, otherwise if he leaves before he gets nothing,
SKy Bet have AB at 10/11, SC at 5/2 and HL at 3/1

Can we please drop this idea that managers are only good at coaching the position they used to play? Barret being a defender doesn't mean he'll be a defensive manager, or even a good defensive coach.
Wenger and Pochettino were defenders, their teams hardly play(ed) defensive football

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank was a striker, and a very, very good one. His teams play dire defensive football. Because he knows, as a striker, you keep a clean sheet and one goal wins it.
Wenger's playing career is hardly work speaking about.

Stendel got Barnsley promoted in his first full season there, & also ( allegedly ) lost a couple of teeth after a tunnel bust up with Joey Barton?.
Now paying the price for 10 winless games. Maybe more clubs should have the philosophy of Steve Gibson at Boro.
He acknowledges Jonathan Woodgates task is more longer term than short term to rebuild them, & although currently near the bottom in the Championship, tells fans they have to be patient.
But as we know, most fans aren't & all expect their clubs to be challenging?.
Usually 2 of the 3 teams promoted from our league, hover around the bottom third in the championship, sometimes coming straight back down.
I doubt anyone outside of Barnsley expected them not to be in a relegation struggle, so good luck to his successor.
Shame it didn't happen a few weeks ago, as he might have been on our shortlist?.

Latest from TheSackRace...

Adam Barrett 4/5
Henrik Larsson 13/8
Neil Harris 8/1
Sol Campbell 10/1

Everyone else - including Waddock - is 33/1 or higher.

A couple of hours later and Barrett's odds have lengthened slightly to 11/10, and Campbell's have shortened significantly to be second favourite at 15/8, Larsson 11/4, Harris 9/1 and then lots on 33/1 (including Waddock, Chris Powell(!) and Mark Milligan)

A couple of hours later and Barrett's odds have lengthened slightly to 11/10, and Campbell's have shortened significantly to be second favourite at 15/8, Larsson 11/4, Harris 9/1 and then lots on 33/1 (including Waddock, Chris Powell(!) and Mark Milligan)

Larsson; Should national news source be believe, he's part of a huge consortium bid now.
Harris; Should a good local news source to be believed, he has ruled himself out.

Makes sense for their odds to widen and So'ls to drop.

Back