• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First started watching the Blues in 1978-79 season, my Grandad used to take me to home games, we used to travel on the 251 bus from Rayleigh. I am not sure which was my first ever game, but i do recall the 80-81 season when we won the 4th division Championship and shortly afterwars we played a friendly against Wolves. I remember it as the players threw signed balls into the crowd, i caught one thrown by Ron Poutney, iIRC, i still have that ball ! The rest they say is history, watched SUFC through thick n thin(mainly thin), don't get to many games these days as i just do not have the time, busy life !

I was born opposite the Stadium in 1952, I'm told my Dad used to take me to midweek afternoon matches at the Stadium in my pushchair, I remember going to see Southend v Bury at Roots Hall in 1960 when we had relatives staying. There was never any choice of who to support as the whole family were Southend fans, my granddad and Uncle form Kursaal days, my dad, mum and other uncles aunties from Stadium days.

First matches not being taken by family was in 1962/3 watching firstly Southend Boys at Jones Memorial Ground beating Walthamstow 9-1 and then later rounds at Roots Hall by now I wanted the real stuff and as an eleven year old and I went by myself to see Swindon at Roots Hall, as my Dad had stopped going.

Basically sums up my life too. Despite what Dad may say was born into supporting SUFC. Dad took me to first game in I think 1987 - we lost 6-2 away. Following month Dad said we could watch Forest vs Spurs or Chesterfield vs Southend. Picked southend and since 1987 never wanted to watch anyone else. Son now 4 says he supports Southend. Again given him no choice as something's in life you cannot choose.

Basically sums up my life too. Despite what Dad may say was born into supporting SUFC. Dad took me to first game in I think 1987 - we lost 6-2 away. Following month Dad said we could watch Forest vs Spurs or Chesterfield vs Southend. Picked southend and since 1987 never wanted to watch anyone else. Son now 4 says he supports Southend. Again given him no choice as something's in life you cannot choose.

That was Notts County away, one of the worst times I have ever known watching Southend.

We lost 8-1 at Gillingham,
lost 2-1 at home to Preston,
lost 6-2 away at Notts County,
lost 3-2 at home to Brentford,
lost 4-1 away at Port Vale,
lost 1-0 at Mansfield
and then beat Derby County of the First Div 1-0 in the League Cup!!

We also lost the Chesterfield game you went to 3-1.

1970 went with a group of friends from Wickford, stood at he back of the North bank soaked in the atmosphere and been hooked ever since.

Used to live next door but one to the leg end David Crown in Eastwood and used to go round regularly to watch 'look through the keyhole' ha ha. He had a few hat-trick match balls in his living room and was cool going to watch him play live.

Slightly different angle, I grew up in Southend and always followed the Blues but moved to North Wales in 1974 and found it difficult to get to Roots Hall but managed a few. Mainly saw Southend at away games and took my son to a Stockport game in 1970's with Brett Angell playing. He was hooked and despite going to school surrounded by Wrexham, Chester, Everton and Liverpool fans, he is a loyal Southend supporter. He even wore his Southend shirt to school on occasions.
He is 34 now and is Southend fan forever, despite never living in Southend.
All dads should indoctrinate their children at earliest opportunity.
Great memories of being at Bury for that Ian Benjamin goal, our seasons in Division 1 (Championship now ) 2 LDV visits to Millennium and then Wembley and so many others.:happy:

Born within sight and smell of Roots Hall, taken along by my dad aged 10 in 1972, no idea what the match was but was totally smitten.

I was first taken to the hall with my local cubs group many years ago .Once I went and loved what I saw that friday night .Been going ever since.

Being Born in Rochford, had to follow my local club, first went in 1975 and never looked back...through thick and thin , good and bad,90 minutes out of the day to shout and yell and come away with so many mixed emotions......that's the beauty of following the Blues

Slightly different angle, I grew up in Southend and always followed the Blues but moved to North Wales in 1974 and found it difficult to get to Roots Hall but managed a few. Mainly saw Southend at away games and took my son to a Stockport game in 1970's with Brett Angell playing. He was hooked and despite going to school surrounded by Wrexham, Chester, Everton and Liverpool fans, he is a loyal Southend supporter. He even wore his Southend shirt to school on occasions.
He is 34 now and is Southend fan forever, despite never living in Southend.
Great memories of being at Bury for that Ian Benjamin goal, our seasons in Division 1 (Championship now ) 2 LDV visits to Millennium and then Wembley and so many others.:happy:

Almost identical story as my own:

I grew up in Southend and always followed the Blues but moved to Leicester in 1975 and found it difficult to get to Roots Hall but managed a few. Mainly saw Southend at away games and took my son to a Notts County game in 1980's . He was hooked and despite going to school surrounded by Leicester fans, he is a loyal Southend supporter. He even wore his Southend shirt to school on occasions.
He is 35 now and is Southend fan forever, despite never living in Southend.
Great memories of being at Bury for that Ian Benjamin goal, our seasons in Division 1 (Championship now ) 2 LDV visits to Millennium and then Wembley and so many others

All I remember is cold, wind, rain. I believe we lost. I cried the whole time. Don't think I went back to Roots Hall for a year or so. This time I remember Luke Guttridge scoring a 30 yard belter and thought "Looks like this is the team for me". Lucky for me my first real season supporting Southend was the one where we lost to Blackpool at the Millenium. Then obviously the two next season. I though it was going to be like this every season. Living in Germany at the time, I only got to a few games a season. That made it all the more special though. All my mates "supported" Man U and Chelsea and I was so proud to be supporting Southend. I remember when we beat Man U I went into school the next day spitting abuse at every Man U fan there. UTB.

Almost identical story as my own:

I grew up in Southend and always followed the Blues but moved to Leicester in 1975 and found it difficult to get to Roots Hall but managed a few. Mainly saw Southend at away games and took my son to a Notts County game in 1980's . He was hooked and despite going to school surrounded by Leicester fans, he is a loyal Southend supporter. He even wore his Southend shirt to school on occasions.
He is 35 now and is Southend fan forever, despite never living in Southend.

Great memories of being at Bury for that Ian Benjamin goal, our seasons in Division 1 (Championship now ) 2 LDV visits to Millennium and then Wembley and so many others

If he ever came on here he could be known as SoPTS (Son of Pete The Shrimper):tease::dim:

My dad took me when I started to play football. First game was a 1-0 loss to Kingstonian and even though I remember having to stand at the back of the family bit because someone refused to move so we could get to our seats, it was quite an interesting experience.

Wanted to go more often and took several games to see my first win, was actually on my birthday, a 2-0 win with Wayne Gray scoring is what I can remember.

That was also my son's first game. He fell asleep at half time along with everyone else in the East Stand.

Sept 1967 v Newport County. I was mostly taken by my Dad with a couple of family friends to Friday night games but missed some saturday games due to his refereeing commitments. Thank god for fri night games back then.

Would have been 75/76! couldn't say for sure,with my father and grandfather.
Do remember they went to a cup game away against Derby and being allowed to go.
Like many it's all i've ever known (had years of,"yeah,but who do you really support").

Simple, its been the family team for 62 years (dad), first match i ever saw age 7.... 35 years later the rest is history. Now my son age 10 is in his 4th season as a season ticket holder

Sat on my Stepdads shoulders in the middle of the North Bank in 1974 during a 4-1 win against Grimsby Town. Immediately hooked and still have the bug now, though living away from Southend for the last 25 years means getting to games is always a challenge. But see you all Saturday!

It was, and again is, my local league team. My dad took me when I was 8 (1955)

Home game against Rotherham. Wish I remembered the year but I expect it was 1989ish and I think we won 2-1. I seem to remember Angel scored. Maybe both.

Whenever we play Rotherham now I always think back to my first game. I think we stood in the East (did there used to be a bit down the front for standing?)

My grandad took me. We lived in Westcliff then by Hamlet Court Road but my grandad and all his brothers and sisters grew up living down Colchester Road and Wallis Avenue so when we went to Roots Hall we'd stop at his sister's on the way down Colchester Road for tea and toast and then at the chip shop (now closed) on Milton Road opposite the Cricketers for chips on the way home.

Good times. Miss my old grandad :-(

Back