• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

:smile:

Anyway, Mr Blue, I'm dying to know which 4 games you've missed?

Dad took me to a cup game in 79/80 vs Harlow Town, hoping I'd see a few goals. We scrapped a 1-1 (Polycarpou?) and lost the replay. Next season we tried again against Doncaster Rovers and Billy Bremner, a moody 0-0 draw. Then finally, we thumped Halifax 5-1 and the rest is history.

Like most other supporters my first match was with my dad. It was way back 1946/7 season Ist Round FA Cup against Brush Sports(a club that's most likely long forgotton) I think we won 6-1. Little did i realise from that date until Tuesday February 10th 2015 i would have missed just 4 home games

Wow! I thought my record was good but not that good! I first went to Roots Hall with my uncle in 1957. Lost to Shrewsbury. Have gone regularly since starting with school friends then went with my Dad and then with him and my son. Since 1959 I have missed just 7 home league or cup matches.

Like most other supporters my first match was with my dad. It was way back 1946/7 season Ist Round FA Cup against Brush Sports(a club that's most likely long forgotton) I think we won 6-1. Little did i realise from that date until Tuesday February 10th 2015 i would have missed just 4 home games

:smile:

Anyway, Mr Blue, I'm dying to know which 4 games you've missed?

Yeah good effort Mr Blue what games did you miss? I know someone who has not missed a home game since 1979. It would be good to know how many years you went without missing a home game.

We have quite a few older fans who no doubt do not read or post on SZ it would be good to find out who has been going the longest (as per the other very similar thread to this one).

Yeah good effort Mr Blue what games did you miss? I know someone who has not missed a home game since 1979. It would be good to know how many years you went without missing a home game.

We have quite a few older fans who no doubt do not read or post on SZ it would be good to find out who has been going the longest (as per the other very similar thread to this one).

Which begs the question, why are there two threads? Just curious.

V Aldershot in 1969 with my dad who was a West Ham fan but converted to SUFC when we moved to Wickford from Harold Hill. I have been a Southend United fan ever since and have had a seaso since about 1990.

The old man took me and my younger brother to an FA Cup first round game against Halesowen in '87, we won 4-1.

Like many others my Dad sowed the seed. We moved to Westcliff from London in 1947. My father was an Arsenal fan and took me to Highbury for a friendly. When I nagged him to take me to a match again he took me to a match at the ground in Grainger Road instead, I believe it was for my birthday. He often took me after that until I was deemed old enough to go by myself with my friends, probably when I was around 10 in 1950. I don't remember anything about the first match he took me to nor who we played nor indeed the score but I was hooked for life.

I can't match Mr Blue's attendance record but I have seen almost all home matches in every season since 1950.

When my 2 sons were old enough I started taking them. I was allowed to carry them over the turnstiles.

Now they like me are season ticket holders and seldom miss a home match despite one of them living in Radlett. He comes to home day games with his 2 sons. The eldest aged 6 has his own season ticket and his 4 year old will have one next season. We are now on the third generation of real committed supporters. Regrettably I can't count my father as his real allegiance stayed with Arsenal although he probably saw more of Southend than he did of the Gooners.

If the 4 games were evenly spaced that would be every game for 14 seasons, that's about 370 games approx then one missed and repeat probably close to 1500 home games....

Boxing Day 1986. Northampton Town. Lost 4-0. My dad took me. two older brothers already went. Twenty eight years on and the next generation have been given the gift of SUFC.

I Tell my son the sight of the floodlights as you walk down Prittlewell Chase is an amazing one. He doesn't understand-yet!!

Same match for me.

I'd been nagging my dad to take me for some time and he decided this would be the ideal match to take me, aged 7, to get my first taste of the Super Blues*. After all, few weeks earlier we'd played Northampton in the FA Cup** and drawn 4-4 in what is widely considered to be one of the best games ever played at Roots Hall. Now the two were meeting again in a top of the table clash on Boxing Day. So along we went, meeting up with my uncle and cousin in the West Bank.

Well, Northampton did their best to recreate that epic clash by scoring*** four, we didn't.

Nevertheless I was hooked. Maybe it helped that I got to see a bona fide future Southend legend - Ian Benjamin was playing for Northampton - but I think it was mainly the realisation that this was better than being dragged up and down Southend High Street on a Saturday.

So on Saturday I will be going - coincidentally with my dad and uncle again - my cousin isn't going, but I saw him Tuesday and will meet up with another cousin instead. I then started going with my dad and granddad on a regular basis and I've been to well over 500 matches since. I don't have any kids yet (at least to the best of my knowledge), but I inducted a fourth generation of Shrimper when I dragged my nephew along to Wembley for the JPT final. He slept through it, but I can't blame him, we've all felt the same for most of the Phil Brown era.

*historical note for kids - we actually played in blue back then and not ****ing white
**historical note for kids - this use to be a highly prestigious cup competition and games were eagerly anticipated and managers would put out their strongest XIs
***historical note for kids - scoring is putting the ball in the back of the net. AKA a goal. In the olden days we use to do this, as did our opponents. At home we generally scored more than they did though.

If the 4 games were evenly spaced that would be every game for 14 seasons, that's about 370 games approx then one missed and repeat probably close to 1500 home games....

Yeah to miss just 4 home games in 69 seasons is an amazing effort and would be good if Mr Blue could come back and tell us if he remembers the games he missed (and why!) Would be good to hear from him if he went to any away games in the 1940's & 50's.

My first match was Lincoln city at home in dec 83, went with my parents. We won 2-0, Steve phillips and super Red card Roy scored. Fantastic match!

My first Blues game was @ Grainger Road in 1953. We lived in Westbury Road, a short walk from the popular East Stand. I remember seeing so many people and feeling a little nervous about negotiating the steps down to the entrance. I don't remember too much about the game against Bristol Rovers, which incidentally, we won 2-1. But with 16,000 packed into the Stadium, it was very noisy. I must have behaved myself as I was rewarded with two more visits that season. The rest is history...as they say.

SZ Members are asking me why i missed 4 home games. I was doing my national service in the RAF at Bawdsey in Suffolk so lucky enough to get home nearly every weekend but the 4 games i missed my country needed me

Back