• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Home game against Rotherham. Wish I remembered the year but I expect it was 1989ish and I think we won 2-1. I seem to remember Angel scored. Maybe both.

Whenever we play Rotherham now I always think back to my first game. I think we stood in the East (did there used to be a bit down the front for standing?)

My grandad took me. We lived in Westcliff then by Hamlet Court Road but my grandad and all his brothers and sisters grew up living down Colchester Road and Wallis Avenue so when we went to Roots Hall we'd stop at his sister's on the way down Colchester Road for tea and toast and then at the chip shop (now closed) on Milton Road opposite the Cricketers for chips on the way home.

Good times. Miss my old grandad :-(

Yes, it was called the paddock.

went on my own,11 years old, v Brentford.,1967.....my dad done a "runner"(just after the wcf 66),we left Elm rd,ended up in a flat above P&K,corner of Hamlet court rd..From there you could see the" bright lights","stars of David","the 4 shining diamonds in/of the night sky"....i was hypnotised,hooked..must go..even before i entered Roots Hall,i knew,..i lived in Southend,i was going to be a Southend supporter, i am part of Southend... "Mohammed" Mark went to the mountain and could never leave( not in spirit.loved every minute,dont regret this love

Firat game was a friendly with Dad - V Spurs who debuted Ossie/Villa & had Crooks etc as well - 1-1 if i recall.
First official game was v Aldershot in 84 with my then mate - we won 1-0 at the end with Gymer scoring ,
Don't see the lad I wet with anymore but we had a couplr of years when we went when we could afford it & a couple of away days too.

About 11 year's ago,Bill Garner was coaching us and told us to try out Roots Hall,some of us did .

First ever game was on 6th.Jan.1962 2-1 home win against Torquay. A couple of weeks later we drew 0-0 with Brentford, I was taken along by my cousin Graham to these matches and after the draw with the Bees he said that's it for him, but for me the damaged had been done and for over 50 years & more than 1,200 matches come rain or shine my life was changed for ever as a twelve year old.

Boxing Day 1971. I stood on the south bank with my dad and saw us beat Lincoln City 2.1 . The beginning of a lifelong love affair.

First game was against Scarborough at home in the 03/04 season. Sat in the south lower, lost 1-0 (i think?). I said I was never going to come to a Southend game ever again, woops.

My first game was on my first trip back to England as a 17 year old. The game was on a Friday night in February 1983, against Wigan, a 2-0 win. I think Otulakowski scored. I went to the match by myself and stood on the South Bank.

I have only been back here six times but since 1983 I always listened to BBC World Service on a Saturday night to get the results. Since the advent of the internet and in particular Blues Player I listen to most games live. Like most on Shrimperzone this is where I get most of my Southend news.

I've been to eleven matches in total and only seen Southend win. I am going to the game Saturday and hope to keep my 100% record in tact.

Boxing Day 1986. Northampton Town. Lost 4-0. My dad took me. two older brothers already went. Twenty eight years on and the next generation have been given the gift of SUFC.

I Tell my son the sight of the floodlights as you walk down Prittlewell Chase is an amazing one. He doesn't understand-yet!!

Strap line below says it all.

Firstly with my Dad on the old South Bank, then from 69-70 with some mates from school, who still attend today.
Then through the 80's and 90's back with my Dad and my father-in-law in the West, then with my two sons added on as they arrived.
Since the passing of my Dad and then my father-in-law, neither of whom saw us go to Wembley, (that made that a pretty emotional day), still in the West but now proudly alongside my sons in W Block.....

It was a 1-0 win against Middlesborough and Ricky Otto scored, my dad took me as I was bothering him to go to football and it was cheaper than West Ham, think he regrets it now. Southend and Ricky Otto won my heart. Think it was 92 or 93 I was about 12, was West Ham before that but never had any kind of affinity with them.

Like most other supporters my first match was with my dad. It was way back 1946/7 season Ist Round FA Cup against Brush Sports(a club that's most likely long forgotton) I think we won 6-1. Little did i realise from that date until Tuesday February 10th 2015 i would have missed just 4 home games

Like most other supporters my first match was with my dad. It was way back 1946/7 season Ist Round FA Cup against Brush Sports(a club that's most likely long forgotton) I think we won 6-1. Little did i realise from that date until Tuesday February 10th 2015 i would have missed just 4 home games

Close the thread we have a winner,you are my hero.

http://www.fchd.info/BRUSHSP.HTM

Link to Brush Sports page on the Football Club history Database

That was their first season in the FA Cup having changed their name from Loughborough Brush just before the war, They beat Shrewbury 5-1 in the previous tie

Went with my Dad and his brother to see us play Gateshead at the Stadium. Must have been about 1953/54. My dad became a season ticket holder at the Hall. My two sons and my daughter are Blue through and through but hardly see a game as they they are scattered around the world. Highlight will always be one Saturday when Chris Powell turned up on our doorstep in deepest Kent with a signed ball and tickets for the next day's game against high-flying Derby which we won thanks to some Andy Ansah magic. Chris gave our daughter his shirt and we met Ricky Otto who joked about what he called his "crossy-cum-shoty" when he scored an amazing goal at Barnsley that season. Still one of the most amazing goals I have seen from a Blues player. Anyone else remember it?

Last edited:

Nobbler,you have just lost your "crown":winking:

Back