• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
It's very rare that you can brutally assess and pass judgement on a football club, as this column did with Tottenham Hotspur two weeks ago, and still be able to come back one match later with plenty of new material. Tottenham, though, are a glorious curiosity for the neutral, but an excuse to binge-drink for their supporters. It is rather gratifying though that, in an age of chronic mismanagement and lunacy, the boys at White Hart Lane just keep pushing the bar higher and higher.

Only Tottenham could sell three of their four strikers in a year and replace them all with one who is apparently so similar to the poor bloke that stayed, that they can't possibly play them at the same time. Only Tottenham could recognise that they were strong on the right wing and weak on the left, and then go out and spend a fortune on another right winger. Only Tottenham could come up with a management structure so flawed that the only reason there aren't rioting crowds outside the stadium is that no-one is quite sure who to blame. Then again, when you make as many bad decisions as chairman Daniel Levy, maybe that policy was simply his survival instincts kicking in.

However, as amusing as this all is to the neutral, it has to stop now. We've all had a laugh, but something really needs to be done otherwise Tottenham are going down and, with their wage bill and in this financial climate, I doubt they'd reach Christmas in the Championship before exploding in a cloud of hastily-scribbled IOU notes.

So, as it seems that Tottenham themselves are out of answers, here's a few hints and tips just in case Levy and Juande Ramos are reading.

1, Daniel, for the love of God, you have to get rid of Damien Comolli. If Martin Jol can be fired for a ropey start with an injury-ravaged squad, than Comolli can go purely for signing Kevin Prince-Boateng. It's nothing personal, but it's clear that the fractured power structure is causing problems and, if you can't sack Ramos, you can certainly sack the bloke who's buying his players.

2, Juande, go back to the 4-4-2 that served you well when you took over. It's no coincidence that Spurs played their best football at the weekend after Gareth Bale had been dismissed and Ramos had been forced to go 4-4-1. It's simple, it's effective and everyone knows what they're doing. In times of crisis, it's best to give footballers as little to think about as possible.

3, Daniel, I can tell without looking that you've got your fingers round the axe-handle. Take a deep breath, count to ten and let your manager get on with his job. He's won two UEFA Cups and he made Sevilla look good in La Liga. You caused enough problems with that axe last year.

4, Juande, enough of this nonsense about not being able to play Roman Pavlyuchenko and Darren Bent in the same team. It's quite clear that you're having a dig at the madness of the transfer policy, but you have to take responsibility now. They're both decent players. Stop giving them excuses by convincing them that they can't do it, and force them to believe that they can.

Right then, that's that sorted. And if that mysterious Singaporean consortium are reading, my fees are very low....

Ha ha, I keep saying it on the off-chance that this consortium buy Newcastle/Spurs/Charlton and think, "Who shall we get to run this club? Hmmm, that bloke in our tabloid seems to know what's going on..."

I can and will laugh at Spurs. Sack the guy who would have been the only manager for God knows how long to stop one of the big four making the Champions' League? Madness. Charge the second highest amount for tickets in the Premiership? See how much sympathy those guys have with the club. Spurs probably only need one significant unfortunate blow and it could easily be Leeds all over again.

For some reason Premiership teams assume that they can reap the premiership for every penny it's worth and then expect sympathy from the wider football league when everything goes Pete Tong. A lot of people had no sympathy for Leeds because it was Leeds.

I hoped it was a sign that top clubs aren't invincible and there is a point in everyone playing after all. When Hull win the Premiership itll herald the new dawn...

When Hull win the Premiership itll herald the new dawn...
They play Chelsea at home in two weeks, win that and they'll have beaten all 5 London clubs!

As for Spurs, why not laugh? They're architects of their own downfall just like Leeds were, it's not like they've had some sort of gross misfortune. They were a game away from the Champions League and since then have simply been mismanaged by the owners and their lackeys.

I say - hahahaha!

Spurs are in the **** bigtime and have no-one to blame but themselves, They have Bolton at home next week then Arsenal (A), Liverpool (H) and Man City (A) after that, potentially after 12 games they could be quite a few points adrift.

Nothing went right for them yesterday even Gomes took two attempts to take out Corluka!!

As for Spurs, why not laugh? They're architects of their own downfall just like Leeds were, it's not like they've had some sort of gross misfortune.
Not sure I completely agree with this. Leeds went out of their way and paid mega-bucks for any player they could find and paid them ridiculous sums of money. Which they did not have.

Spurs made one massive mistake in sacking Martin Jol - that is very clear.

Spurs lost their one of their biggest players days before the start of the season, and then arguably their biggest player a matter of minutes before the end of the transfer window! They also made a massive mistake in selling Defoe too. Spurs main issue has been selling, not buying like Leeds!

However, Berbatov throwing possibly the biggest sulk I've ever witnessed in my lifetime to get his "dream move" has a lot to answer for. Personally, I think Manc U are complete scum over the way they handled that transfer. Especially considering they had the cheek to moan about Real Madrid trying to steal Ronaldo. I really really hope he leaves them in January. Would be a shame for English football (even if he is a :censored:!), but would give Manc U something to think about. I think Berbatov is a prime example why the Premiership is more about money than football these days.

If I could hope for anything in football (non-southend related) then it would that Man Utd never win a single thing in football again.

Not sure I completely agree with this. Leeds went out of their way and paid mega-bucks for any player they could find and paid them ridiculous sums of money. Which they did not have.

Spurs made one massive mistake in sacking Martin Jol - that is very clear.

Spurs lost their one of their biggest players days before the start of the season, and then arguably their biggest player a matter of minutes before the end of the transfer window! They also made a massive mistake in selling Defoe too. Spurs main issue has been selling, not buying like Leeds!

However, Berbatov throwing possibly the biggest sulk I've ever witnessed in my lifetime to get his "dream move" has a lot to answer for. Personally, I think Manc U are complete scum over the way they handled that transfer. Especially considering they had the cheek to moan about Real Madrid trying to steal Ronaldo. I really really hope he leaves them in January. Would be a shame for English football (even if he is a :censored:!), but would give Manc U something to think about. I think Berbatov is a prime example why the Premiership is more about money than football these days.

If I could hope for anything in football (non-southend related) then it would that Man Utd never win a single thing in football again.

The problem is, Berbatov had his strop weeks before the transfer window shut. There was never any way they were going to make a stand for the good of football and have a sulking millionaire on their books so why did they wait for so long to sell him?

What's more, they had only a short while earlier sold Robbie Keane to Liverpool with no apparent replacement. If Pavlyuchenko was brought in to replace Keane and Frazier Campbell was brought in to replace Berbatov, they should find out pretty quickly whose bright idea this was and stick them in the nearest MHU. Pavlyuchenko clearly had the Diouf effect from the Euros and Campbell was quite good...for Hull in the Championship.

What's even worse still, was that they sold a prolific striker midway through last season and never suitably replaced him. Enough about Barnard, though, where was the replacement for Defoe?

It's a big shambles that relied on the combination of Bentley, Modric and dos Santos somehow conjuring up magical weaving passing moves every game and then hoping Darren Bent would stay on form long enough to claim he's a top striker. To be fair, Bent's done his part but the other three have been woefully anonymous.

The best bit of it all is that they got one of their points in the hardest game in the Premiership at Stamford Bridge!

I must stop now, I'm starting to laugh again....

However, Berbatov throwing possibly the biggest sulk I've ever witnessed in my lifetime to get his "dream move" has a lot to answer for.

At least he appeared happy to be at his "dream" club when he scored on Saturday.

I think the funniest, sorry, not-funny-at-all-when-you're-supposed-to-be-objective bits is that they bought the wrong Russian! Pavlyuchencko is the understudy. Had Pogrebnyak been fit, Pavlyuchenko would never have got a game for Russia in the summer. He's the one who's been scoring all the goals. Pavlyuchenko is just an Ivica Olic/Dirk Kuyt/Dean Windass type of uncomplaining frontman who will miss more than he scores by a factor of about six.

I would love to know what Comolli does all day, becuase it certainly isn't watching ****ing football matches.

I think the funniest, sorry, not-funny-at-all-when-you're-supposed-to-be-objective bits is that they bought the wrong Russian! Pavlyuchencko is the understudy. Had Pogrebnyak been fit, Pavlyuchenko would never have got a game for Russia in the summer. He's the one who's been scoring all the goals. Pavlyuchenko is just an Ivica Olic/Dirk Kuyt/Dean Windass type of uncomplaining frontman who will miss more than he scores by a factor of about six.

I would love to know what Comolli does all day, becuase it certainly isn't watching ****ing football matches.

I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt on this but it is hard to fathom, even with Euros goals, how anyone watching him can have possibly slapped that price tag on him.

Presumably Spartak will snap up some uncapped Brazilian and some Russian somewhere will get a bit richer!

PS, Windass probably has more flair in his little finger than Pavlyuchenko.

Back