• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why wait to start a new club?

Wow seriously! We are not in any situation that teams like bury were in. We have had a poor start to the season but we aren’t going out of business. Bet half you lot moaning on here are the same people who have almost a full tank of petrol and have been queuing up to put the bare minimum 2 litres in.

Problem is you split the fanbase. Life without Ron is what all of us want, but the reality is a Phoenix club would not gain a significant number of fans if Southend United are still playing football in the National League, and there may even be animosity between the two factions which would probably be irreparable in the long term.

I haven't got a clue what is the best thing to do in the current situation for the fans. Things are better off the pitch now (they couldn't get much worse), our reputation is still in the gutter and that won't change overnight but the new CEO is working very hard to repair the damage done over the past couple of years. That in itself is a step forward, but we won't see the benefits for a while. Believe me, all the gripes about tickets and programmes are minor compared to some of the issues he has had to spend his time sorting out.

Results on the pitch - well we were always going to have a tough start. We've probably been worse than I expected but the fortnight off might have given us a chance to regroup. I don't like or rate Brown but I also don't like us sacking managers every eight months, and he knows things aren't right yet and is trying to address them (even if some of the answers are not to people's liking).

Would there be any talk of protests or phoenix clubs if we'd won the game against Torquay?

That said, we're now in a vicious cycle of toxicity that looks very tough to break. The first season in a division like this is almost always very tough for ex league clubs, and patience is required particularly as we've had a change of manager and a rebuild.

Problem is, the fans have no patience left to give after the past three years. Let's hope the players and the manager are together and have managed to regroup and refresh over the break we've had. A couple of wins are badly needed for all of us - as is a date set by the council. Ron's not going anywhere until he gets his pot of gold.

Problem is you split the fanbase. Life without Ron is what all of us want, but the reality is a Phoenix club would not gain a significant number of fans if Southend United are still playing football in the National League, and there may even be animosity between the two factions which would probably be irreparable in the long term.

I haven't got a clue what is the best thing to do in the current situation for the fans. Things are better off the pitch now (they couldn't get much worse), our reputation is still in the gutter and that won't change overnight but the new CEO is working very hard to repair the damage done over the past couple of years. That in itself is a step forward, but we won't see the benefits for a while. Believe me, all the gripes about tickets and programmes are minor compared to some of the issues he has had to spend his time sorting out.

Results on the pitch - well we were always going to have a tough start. We've probably been worse than I expected but the fortnight off might have given us a chance to regroup. I don't like or rate Brown but I also don't like us sacking managers every eight months, and he knows things aren't right yet and is trying to address them (even if some of the answers are not to people's liking).

Would there be any talk of protests or phoenix clubs if we'd won the game against Torquay?

That said, we're now in a vicious cycle of toxicity that looks very tough to break. The first season in a division like this is almost always very tough for ex league clubs, and patience is required particularly as we've had a change of manager and a rebuild.

Problem is, the fans have no patience left to give after the past three years. Let's hope the players and the manager are together and have managed to regroup and refresh over the break we've had. A couple of wins are badly needed for all of us - as is a date set by the council. Ron's not going anywhere until he gets his pot of gold.
Give it a few weeks...

This is a fair point... but maybe a new club can climb a few rungs of the ladder in the meantime?

I do however suspect that if PB turns it around, or if he goes and someone else comes in and turns it around, then all of a sudden the dissenting voices are somewhat quieter.

But there are still some on here who are hell bent on the "Anyone but Ron" scenario and I imagine would still be regardless of how well we were doing, so they may want to have a go at doing something behind the scenes.
Phil Brown will not turn it around.
Need 7 new players to replace the dross that he has assembled during the summer.
Could we have actually found a worse one than him?

I’m finding myself quite envious of my son in law who aside from being a Man U STH is also a Macclesfield Town fan as he comes from there. Their Phoenix club have retained the Moss Road stadium which is not a bad ground nowadays, they’re playing against teams you’ve never heard of in something like the 9th tier, winning every week, getting bigger crowds than they used to in L2 (currently getting around 2500 per home game), will easily win the league and probably will keep doing so until they reach the NL again with the momentum & feelgood factor etc.

Lovely idea, and I think serious conversations on the subject should be made now. Problem is, 3,000 or so supporters have already paid for season tickets so you'll struggle to prize out any more £'s from those...and how does the new club obtain a place in the Northern League ? Suerly, it would have to start at the Southend Boro Comb or something and work it's way up ?

In truth, Southend United are my team. Our team.

Whilst I'm sure none of us are happy with where we are, this is still our club.

Are things bad? Yes, to be fair its terrible and as a consequence, every week I watch our worst squad, play the worst football in my 30 plus years supporting SUFC.

Despite this, however fractured, broken and rudderless the club is, there still is a club. After the winding up orders, the bad press, the mercenaries and poor tactical decisions, I still get a buzz going to Roots Hall.

To contemplate a Phoenix club, even now? No thank you.

I dread to think how I will feel if this was something that really could happen. Truth be told, a Phoenix club wouldn't be my club. Our club.

I wouldn’t support a Phoenix club. It’s not the Southend I grew up supporting and loving. It ain’t the Southend that beat Man United and gave me some of the greatest moments of my life.

The club might be on its knees but until there’s no club to support, I’ll keep supporting it. Southend United was here long before Ron Martin and will be here (hopefully) long after. A vote for the club isn’t a vote for Ron Martin.

I hear you but afc Wimbledon are a success story and consider themselves the true Wimbledon, regardless of what went before. They even had their previous honors given back to them.

I hear you but afc Wimbledon are a success story and consider themselves the true Wimbledon, regardless of what went before. They even had their previous honors given back to them.
They are the only real success story.

All the others, Chester, Darlington, Hereford, Bury, Macclesfield, are not yet at the level they were.

The key thing is the ground. If we were to start again, we'd have to do it outside the borough, almost certainly. RH and FF would be developed for housing, and we all know how few available sites there are in the borough.

We'd be looking at a future outside the town, and surely after all the years of fighting against moving to Basildon/MK etc, this would be a line in the sand that we just would not cross.

Probably should’ve rephrased. I would potentially support a Phoenix club if Southend United was wound up, but could never do so whilst Southend United is still in existence.

They are the only real success story.

All the others, Chester, Darlington, Hereford, Bury, Macclesfield, are not yet at the level they were.

The key thing is the ground. If we were to start again, we'd have to do it outside the borough, almost certainly. RH and FF would be developed for housing, and we all know how few available sites there are in the borough.

We'd be looking at a future outside the town, and surely after all the years of fighting against moving to Basildon/MK etc, this would be a line in the sand that we just would not cross.
This is the biggest issue for me as well. And as of yet, I don’t recall a viable solution being offered by any of those advocating starting a phoenix club.

Might as well call the phoenix club AFC Canvey, AFC Billericay, or AFC Dagenham because it won’t be getting a site in Southend.

In my opinion, the Trust should not contribution a penny more to SUFC in the meantime. Their efforts should focus on contingency plans, should we (when we) fold. ie on the startup of a Phoenix club

In my opinion, the Trust should not contribution a penny more to SUFC in the meantime. Their efforts should focus on contingency plans, should we (when we) fold. ie on the startup of a Phoenix club
With 86 of the 87 council requirements now agreed on FF and 1300 houses as the reward...... The club isn't going to fold and Ron ain't going anywhere until it happens.

The only debate is how long will he stay after the big green light

For you budding chairman who want a phoenix club or just Ron out at all costs,. Your best option is to pressure the council to pass it all ASAP. Like they managed to do without any setbacks for the Seaway car park development.

Once the 3 sided stadium is under way you can make a decent offer to Ron and then develop it how you want. With perhaps the mythical sugar daddy for the main stand. After all the club is worthless and has been for a long before Ron arrived. Its the land that holds all the value and small percentage that the Stadium will be on could almost be donated to AFC Southend or whatever you plan to name yourselves.

In the meantime focus your anger on Sainsbury's or the council rather than the trust. The trust haven't spent years making mugs of us fans the other two have.

Back