• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WIGGY'S RATING'S

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Flavs 5 uncharacteristic early **** up, no time to desert him.
Hammel 6 worth his place on set pieces alone
Hunt 6 bit lost at times but done o.k
Sodje 6 don't like his hoof ball but need his strength in the air
Prior 8 may not have the legs but his experience is invaluable
Clarke 1 this is why Tilson gets stick. Iv'e paid good money for him so i will play this conference standard player. Yet again on the wrong side of the striker for the 3rd goal, not at all effective in midfield
Maher 7 all over the place due to his partners incompetance
Gower 7 still looks capable of creating something
Freddy 7 got a tough job on his hands but always capable of bursting in to life
Harrold 8 looking better and better, could turn out to be useful link up player and chips in with a few himself
Francis 6 not really a winger, put him back where he belongs now
JCR 9 MOM Revalation when he came on, kept possesion for us, they couldn't handle him and even though in the past criticised for not delivering, his hold up play is essential bearing in mind everyone else treats the ball like a stick of dynamite.

Just got back? Did you walk?
rock.gif

I have to agree with most of that Wiggy apart from clarke - 1 is a bit to harsh. I have to say JCR would have been my man of the match. He worked hard and wanted the ball - showed disire and fantastic skill. He ripped the defence apart, Why francis is starting before him i don't know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 05 2006,16:30)]Flavs 5 uncharacteristic early **** up, no time to desert him.
Adjust for the usual Wiggy bias, and you get a true mark of 4
laugh.gif

Probably the worst ever performance from Flavs. First goal was completely his fault (which changed the whole tone of the game - up to then we'd dominated, including hitting the bar, and Wolves had barely touched the ball). Flavs should have also possibly came for the third and he generally looked nervy despite having little to do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Nov. 05 2006,17:11)]I have to agree with most of that Wiggy apart from clarke - 1 is a bit to harsh. I have to say JCR would have been my man of the match. He worked hard and wanted the ball - showed disire and fantastic skill. He ripped the defence apart, Why francis is starting before him i don't know.
Can't head, can't pass, wrong side of defender for goal, 1 about right i think. Honestly couldn't believe starting 11, 99% of people on here wanted Gutts and JCR back in there positions as the recent tinkering hadn't worked but unfortunately Tilson didn't see it that way!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 05 2006,16:30)]Flavs 5 uncharacteristic early **** up, no time to desert him.
Hammel 6 worth his place on set pieces alone
Hunt 6 bit lost at times but done o.k
Sodje 6 don't like his hoof ball but need his strength in the air
Prior 8 may not have the legs but his experience is invaluable
Clarke 1 this is why Tilson gets stick. Iv'e paid good money for him so i will play this conference standard player. Yet again on the wrong side of the striker for the 3rd goal, not at all effective in midfield
Maher 7 all over the place due to his partners incompetance
Gower 7 still looks capable of creating something
Freddy 7 got a tough job on his hands but always capable of bursting in to life
Harrold 8 looking better and better, could turn out to be useful link up player and chips in with a few himself
Francis 6 not really a winger, put him back where he belongs now
JCR 9 MOM Revalation when he came on, kept possesion for us, they couldn't handle him and even though in the past criticised for not delivering, his hold up play is essential bearing in mind everyone else treats the ball like a stick of dynamite.
Flavs had an absolute shocker yesterday. Handling was appalling, failed to come for a number of crosses and even kicking not up to the normal standards that we've seen from him. 5 out of 10 is very generous!!

As for the rest, Hunt was the only player that closed down and got stuck in during the first half.

Clarke wasn't as bad as you make out either. The guy clearly isn't capable of setting this division alight as a central midfielder, that's for sure, but 1 out of 10? In my opinion, he was no worse than Maher!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Nov. 05 2006,17:19)]
[b said:
Adjust for the usual Wiggy bias, and you get a true mark of 4  
laugh.gif

Probably the worst ever performance from Flavs.  First goal was completely his fault (which changed the whole tone of the game - up to then we'd dominated, including hitting the bar, and Wolves had barely touched the ball).  Flavs should have also possibly came for the third and he generally looked nervy despite having little to do.
I agree he could have come for the 3rd but then again calamity Clarke was marking the striker albeit on the wrong side as usual, hence the simple nod in!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wrong side of defender for goal
Problem with Clarke is that when hes on the right side of the defender hes also cost us goals- Norwich, Ipswich.
Glad to see Harrold getting good reviews, its about time we had someone to take a bit of pressure of Freddy

Not sure I follow you're argument for Flavs getting a 5 and Clarke getting a 1. Flavs is playing in his correct position and costs us 1 goal whcih changed the game whilst his indecision and inability to command his area caused the rest fo the defence to panic for the whole game. Clarke is forced to play out of position against one of the teams with the best home receords in the league. What do you expect from him?!?! He battled hard and never gave up as shown by his constant attempts to get forward in the last 5 minutes despite continually getting offside.

Both Flavs and clarke were poor only difference is Flavs was poor in his correct position and clarke made the best of a bad job in a position alien to him. I feel this is more of a mistake by Tilly than clarke being poor. 3 for flavs and 5 for clarke imho.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 05 2006,17:45)]Not sure I follow you're argument for Flavs getting a 5 and Clarke getting a 1. Flavs is playing in his correct position and costs us 1 goal whcih changed the game whilst his indecision and inability to command his area caused the rest fo the defence to panic for the whole game. Clarke is forced to play out of position against one of the teams with the best home receords in the league. What do you expect from him?!?! He battled hard and never gave up as shown by his constant attempts to get forward in the last 5 minutes despite continually getting offside.

Both Flavs and clarke were poor only difference is Flavs was poor in his correct position and clarke made the best of a bad job in a position alien to him. I feel this is more of a mistake by Tilly than clarke being poor.  3 for flavs and 5 for clarke imho.
OK then, 4 for Flavs and 4 for Clarke. Tilsons fault for playing him in midfield but he aint no better in defence. He was in his normal position when he failed to defend the 3rd goal. A one off for Flahavan as his hands are normally the safest in the game, never seen him spill a ball like that since he's been here!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 05 2006,18:03)]A one off for Flahavan as his hands are normally the safest in the game, never seen him spill a ball like that since he's been here!
I just dont beleive it, Yes ive read it twice, and I still dont beleive it, because..... I am agreeing with you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 05 2006,16:30)]JCR 9 MOM Revalation when he came on, kept possesion for us, they couldn't handle him and even though in the past criticised for not delivering, his hold up play is essential bearing in mind everyone else treats the ball like a stick of dynamite.
Right, that's one person back on my side that JCR is a key player. I won't be picky by saying I'd prefer it to be someone else.
oops.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

As for Clarke, well I wasn't there, but I think it's clear for all to see that he's not a midfielder, except unfortunately the person that makes the decision. Why oh why couldn't we have put him alongside Sodje and brought the misery that is Gutts back? I firmly believe Clarke and Sodje could be a really could partnership. Clarke's reputation alone suggests he's better than what we've seen. No doubt Blackpool fans would **** themselves laughing on hearing we're playing him in midfield.
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Nov. 05 2006,18:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 05 2006,16:30)]JCR 9 MOM Revalation when he came on, kept possesion for us, they couldn't handle him and even though in the past criticised for not delivering, his hold up play is essential bearing in mind everyone else treats the ball like a stick of dynamite.
Right, that's one person back on my side that JCR is a key player. I won't be picky by saying I'd prefer it to be someone else.  
oops.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

As for Clarke, well I wasn't there, but I think it's clear for all to see that he's not a midfielder, except unfortunately the person that makes the decision. Why oh why couldn't we have put him alongside Sodje and brought the misery that is Gutts back? I firmly believe Clarke and Sodje could be a really could partnership. Clarke's reputation alone suggests he's better than what we've seen. No doubt Blackpool fans would **** themselves laughing on hearing we're playing him in midfield.  
down.gif
I must be the only Southend fan then that says Clark can do a job in midfield. HOWEVER, not next to Maher. If, sorry, when Maher gets his fifth booking,
laugh.gif
then I'd play Clarke in his place. But otherwise, he should stick to centre half.

Before the game I had fears over Spinner and Sodje(combined age 85) playing together, but they did well.

I think Gower should be played in the middle though, with Cheese coming in at left back, and Hammell in midfield.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 05 2006,17:45)]Not sure I follow you're argument for Flavs getting a 5 and Clarke getting a 1. Flavs is playing in his correct position and costs us 1 goal whcih changed the game whilst his indecision and inability to command his area caused the rest fo the defence to panic for the whole game. Clarke is forced to play out of position against one of the teams with the best home receords in the league. What do you expect from him?!?! He battled hard and never gave up as shown by his constant attempts to get forward in the last 5 minutes despite continually getting offside.

Both Flavs and clarke were poor only difference is Flavs was poor in his correct position and clarke made the best of a bad job in a position alien to him. I feel this is more of a mistake by Tilly than clarke being poor.  3 for flavs and 5 for clarke imho.
Yet another ball into the 6 yard box that ends up in our net - Flavs was at fault for number three too....and not the first time either unfortunately. Command his penalty area? Most of the time he doesn't command his 6 yard box!!!! Fantastic shot-stopper but it's a long time since we had such a hesitant goalkeeper in terms of balls into the danger zone....

Clarke's marking was appalling though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Nov. 05 2006,19:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Nov. 05 2006,18:35)]
[b said:
oops.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

down.gif
I must be the only Southend fan then that says Clark can do a job in midfield. HOWEVER, not next to Maher. If, sorry, when Maher gets his fifth booking,  
laugh.gif
 then I'd play Clarke in his place. But otherwise, he should stick to centre half.

Before the game I had fears over Spinner and Sodje(combined age 85) playing together, but they did well.

I think Gower should be played in the middle though, with Cheese coming in at left back, and Hammell in midfield.
I just don't think that Clarke is competent enough with the ball to play there. You can see that half the team just don't want to give it to him there unless it's a last resort as he won't do anything worthwhile with it.

As for Gower, don't you feel he'd get caught on the ball time and time again playing in the centre? We've conceded numerous goals over the years with him dallying in possession when cutting into the middle of the park, when he's tried to over play.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 05 2006,19:44)]it's a long time since we had such a hesitant goalkeeper in terms of balls into the danger zone....
How so? Try our goalkeeper previous to Darryl, Carl Embersn....Not really that long ago...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Nov. 05 2006,18:56)]As for Gower, don't you feel he'd get caught on the ball time and time again playing in the centre? We've conceded numerous goals over the years with him dallying in possession when cutting into the middle of the park, when he's tried to over play.
Personally, I have this as my team:

Keeper

Hunt Centre Backs Wilson

Francis Maher Hammell

Gower

Freddy Whoever

The way I see it, is when Gower has the ball on the wing, the chance of him skinning his man and whipping a cross in is remote. Granted, it's because he's a right footer on the left, but still. In the lower leagues, he could skin who he wanted. This isn't the case now. By putting him in the centre, he's got a bit more freedom to roam, which I think would suit him.

I think both Hammell and Francis are better attacking than defending, so why not push them into midfield?

Back