• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

During a ‘quiet’ period at work, we performed a couple of dummy draws, including the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] European team into pot two.

Draw 1.
Belgium, Chile, Honduras, England

Draw 2.
Argentina, Italy (The European side drawn into pot two), USA, England

You would struggle to hand pick a harder draw than the second one.

From the European contingent, it has to be Germany, they have the strongest squad by far, and with the Munich/Dortmund trouncing of Barca/Madrid last year, we pretty much saw the passing of the European guard, as the bulk of the two national sides feature heavily within those clubs. Spain’s aging stars will labour to the quarter finals, semi’s at best if the draw is favourable. Belgium as dark horse is probably an over-estimation in my opinion, they’ll reach the last 16 at best. Everyone is lauding them at the moment, but they qualified from a group where an average Croatian side was their biggest threat. A young squad, where the starting XI is excellent, but the rest of the squad is not so, will see them struggle against stronger opposition in a telling climate; the trendy dark horses will fall at an earlier than expected hurdle in my opinion, possibly even the group stage.

You can’t look pass the home nation, despite their apparent lack of experience. I expect they’ll reach the final against Germany, providing they don’t meet on the way of course. Uruguay are a good bet for the semi’s, but I imagine they’ll meet one of Argentina, Germany or Brazil there and fall. Argentina despite a wealth of talent up front always seem to struggle on the big stage, and the rest of the squad doesn’t really live up to it’s front line, again semis. Unfortunately with a lot of uninspiring nations at this years World Cup, I fear it’s going to be a very predictable affair, with a lot of tight drab games with tactics designed to avoid defeat as opposed to winning a game of football, it really could be a wake up call for Sepp et all, especially ahead of the very contentious and much maligned Winter World Cup in Qatar.

especially ahead of the very contentious and much maligned Winter World Cup in Qatar.

Especially if they go ahead with the Al Wakrah Stagina.

wakrah3-771x591.jpg

Draw to be made in less than an hour.

My prediction is: Brazil, Ghana, Australia and England.

The odds for these specific groupings are massive. If you've got a fancy for something, have a quid on it or else you'll be kicking yourself!

Group A: Brazil, Cameroon, Mexico
Group B: Spain, Chile, Aussies
Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan
Group D: Uruguay, Italy, Costa Rica
Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras
Group F: Agrentina, Nigeria, Iran
Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA

PLEASE GROUP E!!

Group A: Brazil, Cameroon, Mexico, Croatia
Group B: Spain, Chile, Aussies, Netherlands
Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece
Group D: Uruguay, Italy, Costa Rica, England
Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France
Group F: Agrentina, Nigeria, Iran
Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA

Oh balls that is tricky!!

Also notice France get the easy group - despite the fact they shouldn't even be there next summer.

Uruguay, Italy, Costa Rica, England.

Ouchy. Can't see us getting past the group stage.

England vs Italy on June the 14th, which is the day I fly home from Florida. Arse.

Im sure he said it would be 2am but might have misheard.

Ill be on a plane at 6pm that day so reckon Ill be missing it whatever.

EDIT: 15 June 2014
D3 v D4, Arena Amazonia, Manaus, 02:00

So Ill be 100% missing that then.

From the BBC site -

15 June 2014
England v Italy, Arena Amazonia, Manaus, 02:00

Yep it is, the only plus is its sunday morning so dont have to worry about taking time off work! Party on Wayne....

Yeah it is, I stand corrected. **** that, I'll be snoring at Italy will be scoring.

Very much doubt it'll be 2am, they're not far from GMT (-3hr in Rio).

Manaus is -4hr though.

Just spotted this - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/england-manager-roy-hodgson-manaus

Sounds like an idiot to me, Roy says he wants to avoid it because of the weather conditions so the mayor reacts by saying he doesn't want England to be there and hopes to get a "coach who is more sensible and polite" yet in the same breath he says it will be a difficult venue. So he has a go at Roy and then agrees with the same thing.

When has a world cup game EVER kicked off at 10pm? Nuts! Is it because of the heat?

Back