• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Though for exactly what is not entirely clear.

[video=youtube;xZ_3onl828I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_3onl828I[/video]

This :winking:

Ever thought you'd see the words "Heskey's Goal Rampage" in the same sentance?

I was in France at the weekend.Their media were crowing about the easy draw.Didier Deschamps looked particularly smug.

I'd still bet on them to go further in the competition than us-even if all they do is qualify for the knock out rounds.We won't.:sad:

I don't quite know what France have to crow about to be honest... They only qualified by the skin of their nicotine and vino-stained teeth and Platini had to get involved to ensure them as smooth a draw as corruptly possible. You might easily be able to wipe the smug off Deschamps' face by pointing out to him that he currently has the worst record of any France manager since Kovacs' ill-fated spell that ended in 1975.

This actually makes interesting reading:

BBC

In this sense, Roy Hodgson's England have not done badly out of the draw. True, there is the trip to Manaus, right up in the north, for the opening game with Italy.

With its tropical humidity, it is the venue that Hodgson had specifically wanted to avoid. But the fact that the visit to Manaus is for the first game in theory may make preparations easier. And one trip to Manaus is probably a price worth paying in return for the location of England's two remaining group games - Sao Paulo, where they take on Uruguay, and Belo Horizonte, where Costa Rica will provide the opposition.

These are two cities in the south east, where the weather will be much milder. Italy, meanwhile, play their other group matches in the sweltering north-eastern heat of Recife and Natal, with both currently set for controversial 13:00 kick-offs (local time).

England, then, have undoubtedly come out of the draw better than the Italians - especially bearing in mind that England's plan has been to base themselves in Rio de Janeiro.

[video=youtube;xZ_3onl828I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_3onl828I[/video]

This :winking:

Ever thought you'd see the words "Heskey's Goal Rampage" in the same sentance?

I love the way the defender claims hand ball when the only arm it touched was his own.

Whenever I see that it makes me think Heskey has signed for Barca.

Ha! I did see him play once at the Nou Camp in his Liverpool days.Tbf he had a bloody good game.

By all accounts the thing that always hindered Heskey was his lack of confidence. When his confidence was high he played well, but that wasn't often enough.

By all accounts the thing that always hindered Heskey was his lack of confidence. When his confidence was high he played well, but that wasn't often enough.

He's something of a figure of fun in certain quarters, but joking aside, he's had a career most players would envy; over 60 England caps, trips to two World Cups, six major honours and over 500 top flight appearances. Not bad at all.

Emile Heskey put in one of the best performances I've ever seen from a forward the one time I remember seeing him play - for England vs Russia when McClaren recalled him and Michael Owen towards the end of the doomed Euro 2008 qualifiers. He spent 90 minutes battering the poor Russian defenders who just didn't know how to cope with him. Obviously he didn't get even close to scoring but the space he created directly caused the first two goals

I don't know if he's a player you appreciate more when you're actually there or if that was just a good game but it really turned my opinion around on him. He's become a bit of a cult figure in Australia as well.

Emile Heskey put in one of the best performances I've ever seen from a forward the one time I remember seeing him play - for England vs Russia when McClaren recalled him and Michael Owen towards the end of the doomed Euro 2008 qualifiers. He spent 90 minutes battering the poor Russian defenders who just didn't know how to cope with him. Obviously he didn't get even close to scoring but the space he created directly caused the first two goals

I don't know if he's a player you appreciate more when you're actually there or if that was just a good game but it really turned my opinion around on him. He's become a bit of a cult figure in Australia as well.

Agreed,
Heskey was a brute of a player whose main aim was to soften up defenders thus allowing space for others to exploit.

I saw Heskey destroy Israel when we beat them 3-0 in the EURO 2008 qualifying campaign. I agree he's a player you have to see in the flesh. I also feel the same about Gerrard.

Back