• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you have Nile Ranger back?

Would you want him back?

• Yes

Votes: 76 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 173 64.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters
In general he has a history of taking clubs for mugs refusing to grow up and show up on time would be hugely detrimental to our youngsters. Didn't he have a court case shortly after signing for us that he didn't tell us about?

Read the FFT Article and your opinion on him will change.

Is the FFT article available online?

Whether he was 1% or 100% of the reason I honestly believe his presence was the start of this current downward spiral. I'm so pro second chances, but this would be a second second chance. I wouldn't employ him in any capacity.

What a waste of talent,so many would walk over glass to have the talent this lad has .But can you truly trust him ,He has fked up so many times at so many clubs,i wish he was truly serious and we could believe him,i would love to see him walk out to the centre of the ground at RH kneel down before a full house off SUFC supporters and ask for forgiveness from us all and ask us for a second chance with all the added ons in favour off SUFC Should he once again mess up.Let him do a pre season see how he goes then let the manager decide,but make that preseason the hardest its ever been for him and i mean hard! see how he handles it.

Has he played for anyone in the last season or two ? He must be well of the speed atm. Take he a while to get fit.

that game when we played Sheffield United before he went off injured he was quality. We get that type of Nike ranger back then yeh all day long.

also I watched him on the true geordie podcast he was talking about his tone at Newcastle and a huge percentage of his Newcastle wages were put into a trust which he can’t touch until he’s 30. So he will be financially secured by then. He isn’t the clown alot of people seem to think he is.

I would take him back all day long especially at that lebel and if he gets fit.

He is not clown he is a complete c***. As others have said, words are cheap and a man should be judged by his actions.

As well as smash up a brand new house he also stole stuff from it and had the police round several times when he was getting angry with his girlfriend(s)....Not sure why the police were called because we know he is handy with his fists and has no problem sorting out troublesome women.

Many of the young lads who will be playing for us are living away from home and the very last person they need to invite them round for a bit of R&R is Nile Ranger. He would have a negative impact on the whole squad. When Nile was disciplined for turning up late he would no show the next day or fake injury like at Billericay because he is to lazy and unprofessional to even bother to get fit.

The rift in the camp came to ahead when he blasted that pen over the bar at Pompey. when he should not have been taking it in the first place.....Probably cost us a win. That effected the game at MK just a few days later as Wright missed a pen under extra pressure and certain players weren't in the squad. We had a run of bad results including our first home defeat v Bradford with Cox and Ferdinand sitting in the stand because Ranger was starting.....The fiasco in the hotel after the Bristol game and it ended with PB and Ranger both sacked.

Amongst all the bad stories and there are too many to mention, we also have the myth of his ability. I was at that game at Sheffield and most of the others. He could shield a ball nicely with his back to goal and flick on a header....That was it.

He has nowhere near the strikers instinct and positioning of Kelman and certainly not the finish. Can't play on the last shoulder, no composure, especially with a one-on-one. Useless at heading when in front of goal. I once watched PB ping some decent crosses for Ranger to practice heading into an empty full size goal.....He missed every single one. Yes I know he scored with his head but he missed the target a number of times, even from free headers.

Even if your daft enough to ignore all the above. The final thing is he doesn't give a f*** about Southend or us fans.....He couldn't even do his time without getting into trouble, so he wasn't fit when he came out due to longer lock downs. He still could have done basic stuff in his cell but with no one forcing him Nile is never going to bother.

Even when he was playing for us he was only interested in his Newcastle days and still had photos printed in his Newcastle shirt to give to his entourage of wrong'uns. When he does get his trust money what hasn't been used to pay off debts will be gone within 2 years.....That is if he is not in prison of course.

He sees us as his only way back into football. Like vulnerable old ladies to be taken advantage of......Absolute mugs.......If we took him back he would be right.

P.S. I was one of the ones who broke my normal rules when I read a bit about him and thought lets give the lad a chance. He has probably learnt his lesson and PB is no mug. Well I was totally wrong and its a reminder not to break my own hard learnt lessons in life.......My advice is you all do the same.

Last edited:
It’s the baggage he comes with and the attitude.
Remember we now have lots of youngsters in the first team and who in my view can be easily impressed by senior figures in the team. It only takes one person to upset the harmony of the team and hey presto

He is not clown he is a complete c***. As others have said, words are cheap and a man should be judged by his actions.

As well as smash up a brand new house he also stole stuff from it and had the police round several times when he was getting angry with his girlfriend(s)....Not sure why the police were called because we know he is handy with his fists and has no problem sorting out troublesome women.

Many of the young lads who will be playing for us are living away from home and the very last person they need to invite them round for a bit of R&R is Nile Ranger. He would have a negative impact on the whole squad. When Nile was disciplined for turning up late he would no show the next day or fake injury like at Billericay because he is to lazy and unprofessional to even bother to get fit.

The rift in the camp came to ahead when he blasted that pen over the bar at Pompey. when he should not have been taking it in the first place.....Probably cost us a win. That effected the game at MK just a few days later as Wright missed a pen under extra pressure and certain players weren't in the squad. We had a run of bad results including our first home defeat v Bradford with Cox and Ferdinand sitting in the stand because Ranger was starting.....The fiasco in the hotel after the Bristol game and it ended with PB and Ranger both sacked.

Amongst all the bad stories and there are too many to mention, we also have the myth of his ability. I was at that game at Sheffield and most of the others. He could shield a ball nicely with his back to goal and flick on a header....That was it.

He has nowhere near the strikers instinct and positioning of Kelman and certainly not the finish. Can't play on the last shoulder, no composure, especially with a one-on-one. Useless at heading when in front of goal. I once watched PB ping some decent crosses for Ranger to practice heading into an empty full size goal.....He missed every single one. Yes I know he scored with his head but he missed the target a number of times, even from free headers.

Even if your daft enough to ignore all the above. The final thing is he doesn't give a f*** about Southend or us fans.....He couldn't even do his time without getting into trouble, so he wasn't fit when he came out due to longer lock downs. He still could have done basic stuff in his cell but with no one forcing him Nile is never going to bother.

Even when he was playing for us he was only interested in his Newcastle days and still had photos printed in his Newcastle shirt to give to his entourage of wrong'uns. When he does get his trust money what hasn't been used to pay off debts will be gone within 2 years.....That is if he is not in prison of course.

He sees us as his only way back into football. Like vulnerable old ladies to be taken advantage of......Absolute mugs.......If we took him back he would be right.

P.S. I was one of the ones who broke my normal rules when I read a bit about him and thought lets give the lad a chance. He has probably learnt his lesson and PB is no mug. Well I was totally wrong and its a reminder not to break my own hard learnt lessons in life.......My advice is you all do the same.
That was primarily his job wasn't it? To be a nuisance, allowing Cox the freedom to play his game. And he had more to his game than that.

I actually thought he was a great player when he could be bothered. I saw the 3-0 win at MK and he was unplayable that day; he and Cox were the perfect front two. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been injured at Sheffield United.

I'm not defending his actions off the pitch - indeed, if it wasn't his personality he would have been playing at a higher level anyway - and it was absolutely the right decision to fire him, but the idea that he had nothing to offer other than the attributes you mention is very harsh.

I could be wrong but I don't remember many people complaining when Ron offered him a (more-or-less) four-year contract - an absurd decision looking back of course.

For what it's worth I admire your stance in the other para I've highlighted; think I was the same. I don't know, maybe my glass-half-full perspective makes me depressed about some posters largely remembering negative rather than positive aspects of a player, whether or whether not there's an agenda.

Ultimately I wouldn't want him back regardless because his time and has come and gone anyway.

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of him at the time, but a few people seem on board with him now who definitely weren't then, everything was better a few years ago............... Until the Nile Ranger fall out

I forgot about him stealing the tele, and the damage to the property. Not many professional footballers would do that. The strangest story I heard coming out of the club about Nile, was that Phil Brown once asked Nile Ranger to babysit. He laughs about it now, and said something about if he knew then what he knows now.
Probably a good shout to get Phil Brown on the Custard Splat podcast, and let him tell the story in full. He'd be a great guest.

Last edited:
For sure mate, and I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said.

As above, I’m not campaigning for him, nor am I shutting the door on the idea. Our situation has changed since we last had this discussion; we have been relegated, we’re down to the bare bones - with more set to depart - and we’re skint.

Hypothetically, what’s the worst case scenario, if we gave him a 3-month contract, on small wages?
We will need a strong team sprit, with senior pros showing the way for the younger players.do you think Ranger developed this mind set.

I forgot about him stealing Rigsby's tele, and the damage to the property. Not many professional footballers would do that. The strangest story I heard coming out of the club about Nile, was that Phil Brown once asked Nile Ranger to babysit. He laughs about it now, and said something about if he knew then what he knows now.
Probably a good shout to get Phil Brown on the Custard Splat podcast, and let him tell the story in full. He'd be a great guest.

Just be clear and despite some claims on here.....I was never the Landlord of Nile Ranger. I only met him briefly and that was at Charlton when he wasn't playing.

I did have a chat with PB when Nile was released from prison. PB had been to his release/probation meeting and we both thought the decision to make him live in Tottenham had disaster written all over it. He joked about locking him up in my bike shed.

PB had a theory that the Fire Brigade had a lot of similarities to football when it came to managing people, group dynamics, team spirit, sub leaders and the fine lines between being respected or being seen as an arrogant dictator when your in charge.

My view at that stage was if you have a young lad with an issue it can be solved.... Lateness, drink or even drugs (if you don't tell those above).... But when it comes to the likes of Ranger if its not one thing it will be another....They cannot be helped and will let you down......PB agreed and I felt sorry for him because he really had tried hard but the look on his face said he knew what was coming.

The new manger will have to produce the under appreciated season the Sturrock managed in his first year......We don't know yet but the task could be even harder. The last thing we should do is burden him with Ranger.

I also hated the effect he had on some of the younger fans, making up songs like "loves his coke and he loves MD but look out if for your money old lady". Sickened me frankly. And I did think he had talent, but proved himself as a thankless scumbag.

Even when he was playing for us he was only interested in his Newcastle days and still had photos printed in his Newcastle shirt to give to his entourage

I don't see the problem.

I don't wear a Southend shirt in my promotional photos either.

Last edited:
Back