• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you be happy to pay a small contribution?

• Yes

Votes: 95 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 40.0%
  • Bartholomew F. Griemink

Votes: 10 5.7%

• Total voters
Yes I would be happy to pay monthly,even though its not something I had ever thought about until this thread.

Maybe a contentious issue- but I am a firm believer in ' you dont ask, you dont' get'

Lots of charities etc. have a 'recommended' amount to donate . This annoys a lot of people but on balance it obviously works or else charities wouldn’t do it. I would have no issues if the owners put out an email asking if going forward people would pay monthly and the recommended amount was 'X'. As long as it was clear that it was still voluntary and people could pay less , or indeed more if they wished, as well as nothing . I wouldn’t agree to anything where there was any differentiation between people who contributed and those that didn’t or a list that showed contributions etc.

As I said- if you don’t ask you don’t get

I too wondered about the viability of stating a "recommended amount", and almost asked the question myself before donating this year. But I came to the conclusion that perhaps you have some big contributors and you wouldn't want to put those at risk. I have tended to pay £10 pa, which struck me as reasonable, but would have no problem with paying a bit more if you were to suggest a recommended amount. Personal preference would be to pay annually, but i can see merit in a monthly subs option.

I also wouldn't have a problem with a mandatory membership scheme and would certainly join, though I recognise this would alter the nature of the site. It would at least force a small measure of discipline on some of the more, ahem, outspoken posters.

I am more than interested in why so far 20 odd people do not think it is worth paying?

Speak up please.
Thought the poll was about contributing MONTHLY, so I selected NO as I have just made my annual contribution.

Think the poll may need rewording?

How much do I need to contribute to have full editorial control and the ability to censure or even ban posters who do not subscribe to my point of view?:finger:

I also wouldn't have a problem with a mandatory membership scheme and would certainly join, though I recognise this would alter the nature of the site. It would at least force a small measure of discipline on some of the more, ahem, outspoken posters.

Cheers FG. I personally think mandatory paid membership would destroy everything great about the zone and would never want to even consider it. It's the internet and content is freely given by posters. All I'm asking is that people consider that there ARE costs involved in supporting the platform. My question is how much, as regular users of the Zone, we might all consider helping out.

As for forcing a measure of discipline on outspoken posters, we don't want to do that anyway and I don't think a paywall would help. There's nothing wrong with being outspoken, so long as you show respect to your fellow posters and don't just come in to **** on the carpet.

Hosting is £40 a week, we have a dedicated server now that works for us and you after we had a few years of problems. Updates and constant daily back-ups cost a little extra...we choose to do this , it makes sense....

The domain name is nothing much. vB cost us a few £100 a year with new advances to the site and we have a guy who helps us at times (who works for vB USA) if we get lost in updating or moving the site forward with things we cant do when we are not really that clever.

We also have accountancy fees to pay yearly as we are LTD to protect ourselves... it all adds up to roughly 3k , but we do try to keep a little in reserve for a rainy day to not let you lot down...

The Owners and Mods do not get paid at all. Hope this explains it all.

John.
wow I love some of the posts and banter on here, didn't know it cost that much either, I will definatley put my donation in tomorow as its pay day, many thanks:thumbsup:

Sorry , I haven't got round to donating yet this year as I've been busy at work , but I will.
I guess several fall into this category - yeah must do that , but then it gets forgotten.
An annual , monthly or weekly subscription would definitely suit me.
Sounds really lazy when I read it back .....

How about introducing a 'Site Supporter' tag, which would be displayed under your user name - min donation £10 per year

i know other sites do this...

Have said you should have this option for ages! I didn't see mcnasty the other night so I still have my donation to make.

I would be more than happy to pay £2 a month but I would prefer to set it up as a standing order, so if this becomes a "thing", perhaps one of you could pm me the bank account info so I can set one up?

Have said you should have this option for ages! I didn't see mcnasty the other night so I still have my donation to make.

I would be more than happy to pay £2 a month but I would prefer to set it up as a standing order, so if this becomes a "thing", perhaps one of you could pm me the bank account info so I can set one up?

See you tomorrow Kay

Can we have one of those thermometer things that show folks how we are doing in terms of reaching our target? Or are there reasons it might not be a good idea?

I'd be happy pay a £1 a month or £12 a year upfront.

This may sound strange, but I don't know a single Southend supporter personally. Everyone I knew, and would go to games with in the past lost interest after we were relegated from the Championship. Coincidently I don't speak to them anymore anyway...

The point is, supporting my team would be solitary without this community and if it costs me £1 a month to keep it - it can make that allowance.

Last edited:
Back