• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The referee on Saturday was dire, and I hope that's the last we will see of him for a while. Whilst it will sound like I am being bias when I say this, I am trying to keep a balanced view. 3 stand out decisions for me that he got wrong:

Disallowed goal: Goal was ruled out for a foul (push) on their defender by Bolger. Whilst it looked like minimal contact, I personally think the Wycombe player went down far too easily, looking for the foul. Thought it was very harsh on the day, and having watched it back I still think it was very harsh.
Penalty shout: Totally amazed and baffled that this wasn't given, considering he penalised Bolger for a push earlier on in the game. Definite contact and a stonewall penalty all day long, no question about it.
Foul before Wycombe's FK: I am totally baffled also that the referee didn't pick up on a deliberate push on Timlin (I think!) in the lead up to Wycombe's FK in extra time (which led to their goal). What confused me is that only 10-15 seconds later he gives Wycombe a free kick for a minor unintentional foul (I think!). Plenty of occasions throughout this season where decisions like this cost us the game, and it very nearly did.

Ref was buying Wycombe's time wasting tactics all game long, and it was frustrating to watch at times. But I guess it made it all that sweeter when we scored our equaliser in the final minute of injury time.

I agree with all this. Their free kick for the goal was just and fair, but if that's the case, the one against us just seconds before should have been given, therefore their FK would not have happened.
Have watched a re-watched the disallowed goal, I still can't see that as a reason to blow up. Very tame.
As for our penalty shout, WTF?!?!

With regard to Bolger's push, whether you think the guy went down easily or not, Bolger was trying to push him to unfairly prevent him getting a header in, so justice was served.

Having the benefit of being able to watch this over and over again, I don't see it like this at all. The Wycombe player heads for him and he puts his hands up to preserve his space, it's not really a push more of a "warding off". Of course, on the day, I can appreciate what it looked like, but I fail absolutely to understand how, in the ref's eyes, this was any different to the actual shove on Corr.

Having the benefit of being able to watch this over and over again, I don't see it like this at all. The Wycombe player heads for him and he puts his hands up to preserve his space, it's not really a push more of a "warding off". Of course, on the day, I can appreciate what it looked like, but I fail absolutely to understand how, in the ref's eyes, this was any different to the actual shove on Corr.

I agree. Their player ran straight in front of him and it looks like Bolger put his hands up to balance himself rather than push the player over. It's the first instinct to put your hands up when you think you may fall

This is why they don't let either of you referee football games......

Do you really think Bolger pushed the player over? You can see that the player ran straight in front of Bolger while Bolger was also running. What else was Bolger to do to avoid going over the player? If it was a push, it was a lot less of a push that the very obvious one on Corr that the ref ignored. Which one of those pushes did the ref get wrong then?

Do you really think Bolger pushed the player over? You can see that the player ran straight in front of Bolger while Bolger was also running. What else was Bolger to do to avoid going over the player? If it was a push, it was a lot less of a push that the very obvious one on Corr that the ref ignored. Which one of those pushes did the ref get wrong then?
The one on Corr.

Bolger's push made the difference between a defender possibly being able to get a head on the ball and not. That's worthy of a free kick, especially when the outcome of the defender not playing the ball is a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The ref's decision to not give a penalty for the push on Corr was inexplicable. It looked "worse"! but in fact in terms of effect on the game was no different to Bolger's foul.

Unfortunately, once a player is lying on the ground holding his head, the ref HAS to stop the game because of the possibility of a head injury. He's got to be 100% sure the player's not hurt his head to carry on, and I can't imagine any scenario where that would be a recommended course of action. The player may have conned him, or simply may have known that con or not, the ref has to stop the game once he holds his head. Either way, you can't blame the ref for stopping the game, just because we had a promising break on at the time.

In terms of time added on at the end of extra time, to add 2 minutes on for just 15 minutes of play (well, not 15 minutes of play, the ball is barely in play for 50% of the match time anyway) IS the equivalent of 6 minutes over a half of football. So those of you arguing we should have had 6 minutes at the end of the second period of extra time, are you seriously claiming that over 45 minutes, you'd expect him to have played 18 minutes of added on time?!?

Where do people think we're going to magic up all these "competent" referees from? You think they're all hidden at a referee farm somewhere?!?! Of course not! The referees we get are, by definition, the best ones for the job, because they, like us, are at this level in the football system on merit. It's a relative merit, not an absolute one. If you want better referees, play at a better level of football. Until then, suck it up.
Your analogy is seriously flawed. It assumes that a team will time waste for an entire half, which rarely happens
Others have already addressed the other points you make

What this and most refereering threads doees highlight is how many of us including me think we know all the laws and how to interpret them and we clearly Dont

What this and most refereering threads doees highlight is how many of us including me think we know all the laws and how to interpret them and we clearly Dont

Not necessarily....you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows as Bob Dylan once said.

Yes Phil, I do. The referee was 100% correct.

That however doesn't mitigate the penalty we should have got, where he was 100% wrong. Only he will know why he got it wrong and I am fairly sure, having seen it on the box, he'd agree he got it wrong.

I've have a lot more respect for referees and their assistances if they came out and opologised for mistakes like this and maybe have an explanation as to why.

I appreciate we all make mistakes, but that wasn't just a mistake, it was truly shocking and just looks like he either bottled it or was cheating!!

I've have a lot more respect for referees and their assistances if they came out and opologised for mistakes like this and maybe have an explanation as to why.

I appreciate we all make mistakes, but that wasn't just a mistake, it was truly shocking and just looks like he either bottled it or was cheating!!

I very much doubt that he was cheating, that's a bit harsh. As for copping a plea on the penalty, has anyone asked him? I can't see him owning up voluntarily especially as we won anyway.

I very much doubt that he was cheating, that's a bit harsh. As for copping a plea on the penalty, has anyone asked him? I can't see him owning up voluntarily especially as we won anyway.

I doubt he has cheating either, think he did just bottle it, but you do ask questions like that when it was such a blatant penalty.

Surely the fact we won makes it easier to come out and apologise.

I doubt he has cheating either, think he did just bottle it, but you do ask questions like that when it was such a blatant penalty.

Surely the fact we won makes it easier to come out and apologise.

Not really. It just means that most neutrals and Wycombe fans will forget about it quicker and he can move on. That said, I expect that the Ref's assessor will mark it for future consideration, and if we get him in a match any time soon, then we might bring it up on here again!

Back