• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Or it could have been one of Tilson's promotion seasons? Who knows, we might have beaten Man United in a cup and even got to Wembley? Twice.

Without doubting Tilly's abilities, I think his time with us was over and he would never have the support, financially or otherwise, to keep us up.

Or it could have been one of Tilson's promotion seasons? Who knows, we might have beaten Man United in a cup and even got to Wembley? Twice.

Do you really think that could have been remotely possible? We had hardly any players left when Tilly was put on gardening leave. Sturrock has done a fantastic job this season.

Gotta say that Barnet have done fantastically, they were odds on for relegation a couple of months ago and have really pulled it out of the bag. Grazioli has come in and motivated the players he was given and they done him proud.

He had hardly any time, players that were de-motivated, yet he turned it around. Tilly had far far more time than Grazioli did. There can be no argument that Tilly didn't get his own players, no money etc. Grazioli had none of that either.

"Thank you Ron Martin". Whoops. Bye Lincoln, love Tilly but happier to have another trip to Barnet next season.

Do you really think that could have been remotely possible? We had hardly any players left when Tilly was put on gardening leave. Sturrock has done a fantastic job this season.

Gotta say that Barnet have done fantastically, they were odds on for relegation a couple of months ago and have really pulled it out of the bag. Grazioli has come in and motivated the players he was given and they done him proud.

I couldn't disagree about Sturrock - he's done an excellent job, but that should never be used to diminish Tilson's numerous achievements in the process, nor should anyone automatically assume that a rebuilt Tilson side would have been a failure. The lack of players when Tilly left was hardly down to Steve Tilson and the only thing stopping him rebuilding a quality side was his broken relationship with Martin.

All moot now, he's no longer our manager. Just let those who want to feel sorry for Tilson do so.

Do you really think that could have been remotely possible? We had hardly any players left when Tilly was put on gardening leave.

You must have a crystal ball. You seem to have all the answers to counter-factual conundrums after all.

How do you know what would have been 'remotely possible'? Anything is remotely possible. Tilson could possibly have gotten a new squad together before we kicked off. As has been said, the only thing that might have stopped him from doing so was his strained relationship with Martin. He potentially could have taken us back up. He might not have done but by saying 'it wouldn't have been remotely possible' you are, once again, letting your hatred for Tilson prevent you from making rational and logical arguments.

You don't KNOW what would have happened with Tilson in charge this season better than anyone else does.

Anyway. Back on topic. Not too surprised at today's result. Despite Sturrock's words I think it was always going to be difficult to keep the troops focussed when there is nothing to play for, and we were always going to be up against it playin away against a decent side who HAD to win in order to go up.

We now look to the summer and next season. Can't wait to see who PS manages to bring in but I can forsee him adding some good players to the side.

Hope the pink kit looked good, and hopefully the white shorts and socks will end up being part of the home kit!

You must have a crystal ball. You seem to have all the answers to counter-factual conundrums after all.

How do you know what would have been 'remotely possible'? Anything is remotely possible. Tilson could possibly have gotten a new squad together before we kicked off. As has been said, the only thing that might have stopped him from doing so was his strained relationship with Martin. He potentially could have taken us back up. He might not have done but by saying 'it wouldn't have been remotely possible' you are, once again, letting your hatred for Tilson prevent you from making rational and logical arguments.

You don't KNOW what would have happened with Tilson in charge this season better than anyone else does.

I KNOW what happened when he managed Lincoln between October and now...He led them to relegation. I suppose that's the Lincoln chairman's fault....It could NEVER be Tilly's fault could it.

I KNOW what happened when he managed Lincoln between October and now...He led them to relegation. I suppose that's the Lincoln chairman's fault....It could NEVER be Tilly's fault could it.

He had inherited a horrible squad to be fair, Chris Sutton signed Drewe Broughton on 70k per year! He had little room to manoevre with new signings. If you want to continually profess balance about Tilson's reign with us, stick to your principle of balance when assessing his time at Lincoln.

We all know your opinion, your forcing of it down everybody's throat in every thread is getting tiresome and reminds me of Glasgow Shrimper at the beginning of the season.

It could have been us being relegated had Sturrock not been employed in place of Tilly

Of course, Tilly hasn't got the ability and contacts to discover such gems as Prosser, Sturrock and Gilbert. (All still with the club as part of our policy to sign players who could compete in Division One!!!!)

We started really brightly and in the first 15 minutes I thought we might have been 2 or 3 up...we seemed to have acres of space on the right and Hall and Clohessy were having a field day.

Then the wheels fell off...another mistake clearing from back and some poor defending and before you know it we are behind. Never really posed any problems after that. Thought the new kit didn't look too bad...the day was only spoiled by some fans (if I can call them that) who threw bottles on the pitch during the game...what idiots...not funny and definitely not clever.

Long time to the next games now but looking forward to the next season.

Of course, Tilly hasn't got the ability and contacts to discover such gems as Prosser, Sturrock and Gilbert. (All still with the club as part of our policy to sign players who could compete in Division One!!!!)

In such a short time, I think Sturrock did well. We are mid-table, Lincoln are relegated.....

He inherited a bad squad there. He said as much on the phone. He also had approximately 55-60% of Southend's total playing budget this season - and that was due to be cut further next season even if they had stayed up.

I know we've had our problems financially but they are running on a very small budget in comparison to ours and no matter what anyone says, it was always going to be a mammoth task to keep them up. No-one's fault - they just don't have the backing. The one person who could be blamed is Sutton since he blew what little remaining budget they had on dross.

Quite liked the voltage cherry (yeah right) kit, also Grant in the stand with us after the game. A few more chavs following us than what I remembered, throwing bottles onto the pitch, nice one boys

Back