• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your Favourite Football Ground?

Which is it?

Mine really has to be FC Koln. Massive ground, great atmosphere. Terracing behind both goals then seats in the 2nd tear. Drink bear in the ground. Phew, i could go on.

Whats your favourite ground ( apart from the Hall) as thats blatently everyones favourite ...
wink.gif

Tim

The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. Awesome ground, awesome atmosphere, awesome location. Bang in the city centre, beers before the game, short walk to the train station afterwards, have always managed to get on a train...

...and Freddy Eastwood's goal; as happy as I've been in a decade, at least.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 17 2005,10:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 17 2005,10:04)]Drink bear in the ground.
That's a bit pervy isn't it?
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

oops.gif
Dont actually know why you would have found that pervy but sorry it should have been BEER

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

I thought it would be Anfield but it resembled more of a public library than a mecca of football when I went.

Parkhead on Old-Firm day or on European nights is immense as is the Stadium of Light in Sunderland (probably the best atmosphere of any new build stadium).

I have to say though, number 1 for me has to be Hillsborough, purely for the enormity of the place as well as the memory of seeing 5,500 mad Shrimpers bedecked in blue & yellow, outsinging almost 20,000 Wednesdayites.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 17 2005,10:20)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 17 2005,10:04)]Drink bear in the ground.
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

oops.gif
Dont actually know why you would have found that pervy but sorry it should have been BEER

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Sorry for being flippant.
It was an effort at humour to distract from my boring Wednesday (as hopefully my next serious post proved!!!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 17 2005,10:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 17 2005,10:20)]
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

oops.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Sorry for being flippant.
It was an effort at humour to distract from my boring Wednesday (as hopefully my next serious post proved!!!)
My reply sounded a bit stroppy and for that im sorry. Im having fun on my wednesday 2 dont you know...
smile.gif
sad.gif
wink.gif
oops.gif

Camp Nou - the sheer size of it is amazing
Millennium Stadium - for the reasons listed above by Mr Walker
Craven Cottage - haven't been since it was re-developed, but I've always had a soft spot for the ground. Close to the river and a really traditional British stadium.

Honourable mentions to Jose Alvalade (Lisbon), Ibrox, Hampden, the Highbury Library, Meadow Lane (cracking ground for League Two and a good away end) and Home Park before re-development.

Definitely the Millennim Stadium - excellent stadium, great atmosphere and absolutely fantastic memories.
smile.gif

Club-stadium wise, it's gotta be Highbury - it's normally quiet but one of my mates dragged me down there for an Arsenal-Spurs game - the atmosphere was electric (and they have padded seats in some stands!
wow.gif
)

Wembley june 1st England 2 Scotland 0 Amazing venue.

Ibrox Rangers v Celtic an unbeatable atmosphere

White Hart Lane against the Arse from up the road Sorry forgot the Nal.

Top of the pile is Roots Hall packed to the hilt with 31,000 fans for the visit of liverpool in 79, The Stadium has not looked better since.

Millennium obviously. The only ground I've nearly p%&sed myself with excitement in (with plenty of nice toilets to clean yourself up in afterwards).
The new stadiums are few and far between in terms of facilites to be honest.
This won't be liked, but I think my favourite in terms of still being traditional, having good facilities and also, on some days having an amazing atmosphere, I'd have to say Upton Park. Anyone agree even slightly?

I thought that wouldn't go down too well!
I really do hate The Ham. I grew up with enough of them, having gone to school in Brentwood...

Wembley
Aldershots ground, Nice pretty flower beds when you walk in
Mill Stad (obv)
Anfield before it was all seater

Special mention for Woking , cracking stand but the rest of the ground was standard non league

Worst

Bloomfield Road when it was in the middle of falling down
Newport County c 1976

Just goes to show, it depends entirely when you go to a stadium as to what you think of it.  I went to Highbury during the George Graham era, stood on the north bank...and was bored into submission.  One of the dullest afternoons of football I've ever witnessed. Have to say that I've always thought Stamford Bridge had a better atmosphere than Highbury...

wow.gif

Hmm... stadia that I have liked...

*Maine Road - magic.  Brilliant atmosphere every time I went.

*Portman Road - again, superb atmosphere every time I've been.  Lovely ground, near the station... although it does feel as if it's a bit stuck out on a limb in the badlands of Ipswich.

*Away end, Selhurst Park.  It's a crap view, but boy, what a cracking atmosphere you can develop in there.

*The Boleyn Ground... it has to be said, those Spammers have got a lovely stadium, even if it is a gigantic pain in the backside to get onto the tube after the game.

Fave overseas stadium, and one of the best I've ever been to, has to be the Stade Gerland in Lyon.  Right by a tube station, really easy to get in & out of the ground, brilliant atmosphere, cheap to get in, really good view of the action near the pitch, and a lovely bar with it's own microbrewery right outside the ground where it's really easy to get in and have a drink afterwards.  Oh, and you get to watch the best team in France as well.  As good a stadium there is in Europe, I reckon.

smile.gif

Worst stadia:

*Layer Road - and I'm not "just saying that"... that ground is a dump, a disgrace to the league, in a bloomin residential area, nowhere near the feckin' station, nowhere near any pubs. The only good thing about it is when it's full of Shrimpers, belting out a cracking atmosphere.

*The Saunders Honda Stadium - even the name tells a tale of a ground in the middle of nowhere; meccano stadium with no atmosphere at all.

Matt

P.S. Thought of another good stadium: Nene Park. As modern stadia go, that was right up there. Good view, good atmosphere, good ameneties, good grub. Not bad at all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,11:38)]*Layer Road - and I'm not "just saying that"... that ground is a dump, a disgrace to the league, in a bloomin residential area, nowhere near the feckin' station, nowhere near any pubs.  The only good thing about it is when it's full of Shrimpers, belting out a cracking atmosphere.
and yet..the pitch was shortlisted for best pitch in the league recently.

btw, best for me is the Olympic Stadium in Munich. Beer, kebabs, cheap programmes, close to the U-Bahn. Great atmosphere, good video-replays of the action.

Favourite ground can only be Millstad, unoriginal but sorry, what else can you put?

Before the end of May this year though I'd have to say the Stade de France. Saw one of the best goals I've ever witnessed at a ground in the 2002 French League Cup Final. Exquisite pass clipped over the top of the defence from half-way by Deschamps, first time volleyed from one corner of the 18 yard area to the other by Batistuta (a la David Platt winner v Belgium) straight to Pauleta who launched himself into the air, twisting as he did so to scissor-kick it into the top corner from 18 yards. Genius.

Favourite league ground (not Roots Hall) - well it HAS to be Layer Road - we always win there!!! Close second was Exeter until a couple of years ago (quaint and great atmosphere on their last game), Portman Road - great atmosphere when we take 2,000 there, plus nostalgia of first solo away trip. highfield Road good too, and Rochdale - best view and very cheap beer in good footie local.

Worst league ground, Doncaster Rovers by a mile. First away trip 2 years ago, it was awful. Crap area, crap people, a disgraceful dump of a ground and we played like a sunday pub team and fully deserved to lose, but by more than the 2-0 we lost by.

Derby County's old Baseball Ground.
Two visits there in the FA Cup in the 70's.
Unrivalled atmosphere.

Back