• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your Favourite Football Ground?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,11:38)]Just goes to show, it depends entirely when you go to a stadium as to what you think of it.  I went to Highbury during the George Graham era, stood on the north bank...and was bored into submission.  One of the dullest afternoons of football I've ever witnessed. Have to say that I've always thought Stamford Bridge had a better atmosphere than Highbury...
Must admit, reason I chose Highbury was because of the way the stadium is built.

I love all the old Archibald Leith designed stadia, such as Goodison, Ibrox, Home Park (Mayflower Stand only) and Highbury.

What ground is the 'Saunders Honda Stadium'?

PS - post 1,500. Woo-hoo!

Millenium Stadium for sheer awesomeness and Wembley for a quaint reminder of football's past. I haven't been to many league grounds but the 3 that have impressed me are Carrow Road, White Hart Lane and The Valley.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:01)]Must admit, reason I chose Highbury was because of the way the stadium is built.

I love all the old Archibald Leith designed stadia, such as Goodison, Ibrox, Home Park (Mayflower Stand only) and Highbury.

I agree that the main stand at Highbury is beautiful architecturally, but it was just rather quiet when I got in there...

Interestingly, I initially quite enjoyed Goodison Park when I went there - lovely architecture, good view, great atmosphere... apart from the fact that I felt as if I'd just gone to an NF rally.  It was Everton v. Norwich; the Toffees went 1-0 up through Paul Rideout, before the Canaries then stuck 5 past Everton without reply, four of them being bagged by Efan Ekoku.

The amount of racist abuse going on around me was appalling, and has rather put me off Everton ever since.

sad.gif

Saunders Honda = the Deva Stadium, Chester.  Lovely pubs in Chester itself, and a good away trip last year... but I'm not much of a fan of the ground itself.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,12:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:01)]Must admit, reason I chose Highbury was because of the way the stadium is built.

I agree that the main stand at Highbury is beautiful architecturally, but it was just rather quiet when I got in there...

Interestingly, I quite enjoyed Goodison Park when I went there... apart from the fact that I felt as if I'd just gone to an NF rally.  It was Everton v. Norwich; the Toffees went 1-0 up through Dave Watson, before the Canaries then stuck 5 past Everton without reply, four of them being bagged by Efan Ekoku.

The amount of racist abuse going on around me was appalling, and has rather put me off Everton ever since.

sad.gif

Saunders Honda = the Deva Stadium, Chester.  Lovely pubs in Chester itself, and a good away trip last year... but I'm not much of a fan of the ground itself.

Matt
Damn beat me to it about Chester!

Out of interest, what is happening to Highbury after this season? Are they turning it into flats or bulldozing the site for development land? I thought the little touch of the Highbury 1913 - 2006 logo on the pitch was nice on Sunday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 17 2005,12:10)]Out of interest, what is happening to Highbury after this season?  Are they turning it into flats or bulldozing the site for development land?
The former - the main stands are listed, and the pitch is consecrated ground (and is thus being turned into a park of remembrance).

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,12:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 17 2005,12:10)]Out of interest, what is happening to Highbury after this season?  Are they turning it into flats or bulldozing the site for development land?
The former - the main stands are listed, and the pitch is consecrated ground (and is thus being turned into a park of remembrance).

Matt
And more info can be found here, from today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22669-1738213,00.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,11:01)]Must admit, reason I chose Highbury was because of the way the stadium is built.

Have you got Engineering Archie by Simon Inglis?

Cracking book, tells you about the man and all the stadiums he designed. Cracking pictures as well.

Favourite ground? Hillsborough for me.

Although other grounds I like are Gay Meadow and Belle Vue, there's a lot of character in them. Plus Maldon's ground, (Wallace Binder?) if only for the fact we could buy a pint and take it back to the pitch...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,12:14)]
[b said:

Matt
And more info can be found here, from today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22669-1738213,00.html
That would be so cool to live in a former football ground.
I hate to think the premium price that will get charged for the properties though.

Old Trafford, Went there for the first time when i was about 7 to see Man Utd vs Spurs and was amazed by the size and atmosphere a packed Old trafford had.
Old Wembley was good too, and i can imagine a packed Millenium Stadium is great too, especially all the fans spilling out together onto the packed streets afterwards. Roots hall was also a nice ground when we had the North Bank and it was terracing, i love terraced grounds as there's definitely a better atmosphere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:24)]Have you got Engineering Archie by Simon Inglis?

Cracking book, tells you about the man and all the stadiums he designed. Cracking pictures as well.

Favourite ground? Hillsborough for me.

Although other grounds I like are Gay Meadow and Belle Vue, there's a lot of character in them. Plus Maldon's ground, (Wallace Binder?) if only for the fact we could buy a pint and take it back to the pitch...
Not yet, but it's on my list of books to buy!

Hampden Park - Circa 1978
Millstad - Just fantastic design, atmosphere and organisation.
The Abbey, Cambridge - used to have the best pies in the league in the 80's
Layer Road - So we can really appreciate Roots Hall, even in its rather careworn state.
Wembley - 1966 and all that
Portman Road - Beautiful Pitch, great atmosphere.

For me its one im surprised hasnt been mentioned. St James's, Newcastle. Went there about 5/6 seasons ago for Newcastle vs Barcelona in the champions league. this was before the extension of the main stand and behind the goal and the atmosphere was unreal. The roar before the start of the game was something i will never forget. the location is also very good, walking distance to shops, pubs and food outlets. and the tube station is actually underneath the stadium!! led to quite a funny moment when my brother my dad and I got out of the tube and started looking for the stadium. we asked a local geordie who happily told us to turn around and look right behind us!! also got to see alan shearer in the car park driving in to the stadium before the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:01)]I love all the old Archibald Leith designed stadia, such as Goodison, Ibrox, Home Park (Mayflower Stand only) and Highbury.
He didn't design Highbury! Arsenal had far grander aspirations. The East & West stands at Highbury, although much smaller than the Leitch bulit East Stand at White Hart Lane, which was also built in the 1930's, each cost about double the cost of Spurs' East Stand.

Leitch design can be spotted by the criss cross pattern on the balcony dividing the upper and lower tiers, which you wont see at Highbury. He designed virtually very stand of note during the inter war years.

Ok, ok, I'll put my anorak back on and go back to trainspotting
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:24)]Have you got Engineering Archie by Simon Inglis?

Football Grounds of Great Britain by Simon Inglis is another cracker. My favourite footballl book of all time (the first edition c1984, pre Bradford fire and Hillsborough changes, is the best if you can get hold of it). A must read for all football fans and not just ground spotter anorak types like me.

The pictures of the Layer Road end at Col U and the away end at Rochdale c 1984 will make you realise how far facilities have come on since then (even the Layer Road end is now much improved - hard to believe, I know).

Mil Stad - As already stated.

Nou Camp - f%&king Enourmous and mad to see 60 year old grannys singing and celebrating

Wembley - Truly wonderful site and sounds when full and the England faithful singing there heart out

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 17 2005,13:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,12:01)]I love all the old Archibald Leith designed stadia, such as Goodison, Ibrox, Home Park (Mayflower Stand only) and Highbury.
He didn't design Highbury!  Arsenal had far grander aspirations.  The East & West stands at Highbury, although much smaller than the Leitch bulit East Stand at White Hart Lane, which was also built in the 1930's, each cost about double the cost of Spurs' East Stand.

Leitch design can be spotted by the criss cross pattern on the balcony dividing the upper and lower tiers, which you wont see at Highbury.  He designed virtually very stand of note during the inter war years.

biggrin.gif
Oops! Oh well, thanks for clearing that up anyway!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 17 2005,10:15)]The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.  short walk to the train station afterwards, have always managed to get on a train...
However it may be a little more difficult now that your a known trouble maker after being being caught smoking a Cigar by the British Transport Police.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 17 2005,13:18)]Football Grounds of Great Britain by Simon Inglis is another cracker.  
There are a couple of copies of the first edition currently available on ebay:

<a href="http://search.ebay.co.uk/Simon-Inglis_Books-Comics-Magazines_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR4QQsaatcZQ2d1QQsacatZ267QQsalicZ3
" target="_blank">http://search.ebay.co.uk/Simon-I....salicZ3</a>

Amazon also have several secondhand copies from £4.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,13:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 17 2005,13:10)]
[b said:
He didn't design Highbury!  Arsenal had far grander aspirations.  The East & West stands at Highbury, although much smaller than the Leitch bulit East Stand at White Hart Lane, which was also built in the 1930's, each cost about double the cost of Spurs' East Stand.

Leitch design can be spotted by the criss cross pattern on the balcony dividing the upper and lower tiers, which you wont see at Highbury.  He designed virtually very stand of note during the inter war years.

biggrin.gif
Oops! Oh well, thanks for clearing that up anyway!
I think Leitch designed the original East stand at Highbury but not the current one so I think we're both probably right. (If you're old enough to remember, the original east Stand was almost identical to the Molineux Street stand at Wolves which survived until around 1980 - it had a very unusual multiple gable roof).

Have just ordered Engineering Archie from Amazon
biggrin.gif

Back