• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
When Manuel Pellegrini took the reins at Real Madrid, blank cheque book in hand, I doubt very much he expected his only shot at silverware at this stage of the season would lie solely in a sprint to the finish with Barcelona...

Courtesy of Miralem Pjanic, that is exactly the situation. Lyon took a 1-0 lead to the Bernabeu, tasked with keeping out a Madrid side that boasted some of the world’s finest talent and they couldn’t have asked for a worse start. Cristiano Ronaldo took his Champions League tally for the season to seven, blasting through Hugo Lloris’ legs after just five minutes. Unfortunately for him, and unlike his former club Manchester United, that was as close they came to a quarter-final berth.

It could have been different; Gonzalo Higuain rounded Lloris not much later but could only fire his shot onto the post. Ronaldo’s fellow Galactico Kaka had a shot that clambered just past the post in the second half, but the Brazilian wasn’t much more than a passenger in the game and his contribution will rightfully be questioned. Karim Benzema felt the swift metal of Pellegrini’s axe for much less, and the truth is Kaka has not justified his inflated price tag.

Miralem Pjanic, of Bosnian heritage, decided the tie in the 75th minute, feeding from a Lisandro lay-off to lift the ball past Iker Cassilas giving Lyon a vital away goal. Madrid needed two goals but could not muster one, gifting Lyon several chances at the other end that were spurned by Lisandro and Delgado.

Pellegrini spent €260m in recruiting the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema to the Santiago Bernabeu and any observer, me included, expected a far greater return than what has come to pass. Out of the Copa Del Rey, reaching just the last 16 of the Champions League and facing a nail-biting finale to the La Liga season, locked on points with Barcelona and ahead only on goal difference.

If €260m can’t buy a single defender worth his stripes, then questions have to be asked of the transfer policy. Football is a game of balance, left to right, top to bottom, it’s the balanced teams of club football that succeed. Manchester United won the Champions League on the basis of a rock solid defence and counter-balanced the effervescent ability of Ronaldo and Rooney with the sheer determination of Tevez, Fletcher and Scholes. Barcelona succeeded on the basis of turning Thierry Henry into a wing-forward purely to maintain balance.

Make no mistake, Pellegrini is a wonderful coach. He transformed Villareal from also-rans into material worthy of European competition on a comparitable shoestring and is thoroughly deserving of his shot at the big time, but Los Galacticos will expect much, much more from this and to finish the campaign without a single trophy will, more than likely, see his contract terminated.

If this is what €260m buys you, then it’s no wonder so many clubs are on the precipice of financial meltdown.

Shows the massive difference between the top league and the ones below. Spread €260m (approx. £235m) between the 72 league clubs below the Premierleague and most clubs would be financially stable (about €3.6m/£3.2m each).

Back on topic, it does show that money doesn't buy you success and I'm pleased that Madrid are out of the Champions League. Jean II Makoun's goal in the first leg was sensational. Haven't seen the highlights of tonights game yet.

Last edited:
Although, I have to admit that a Man Utd vs Real Madrid would have made a great quarter-final.

Back on topic, it does show that money doesn't buy you success and I'm pleased that Madrid are out of the Champions League. Jean II Makoun's goal in the first leg was sensational. Haven't seen the highlights of tonights game yet.

It doesn't necessarily buy you success, but you don't get success without it. Take Manchester United. Yes, over the last 20 years they have benefitted from a wonderful youth policy, but being able to spend fortunes on the likes of (going chronologically here) Pallister, Keane, Cole, Yorke, Van Nisteloory, Ferdinand, Ronaldo and Rooney helped rather.

Since 2005 :

Lyon 3-0 Real Madrid
Real Madrid 1-1 Lyon
Lyon 2-0 Real Madrid
Real Madrid 2-2 Lyon
Lyon 1-0 Real Madrid
Real Madrid 1-1 Lyon

It doesn't necessarily buy you success, but you don't get success without it. Take Manchester United. Yes, over the last 20 years they have benefitted from a wonderful youth policy, but being able to spend fortunes on the likes of (going chronologically here) Pallister, Keane, Cole, Yorke, Van Nisteloory, Ferdinand, Ronaldo and Rooney helped rather.

Exactly, spending money wisely will get you success.

More importantly it afforded them the luxury of coping with the fortunes they blew on Taibi, Veron, Blomqvist, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Miller, Milne, Bellion, Forlan...

Im probably completely wrong - but i always thought that with some of the bigger name signings at Madrid it was due to the president rather than the manager - and that all he expects of Pellegrini is to make sure he gets all these players playing together as a team.
Its obvious to everyone - and im sure to someone as astute as pellegrini that they lack strength at the back -- but no Madrid president ever won an election promising to sign a steady and assured CB...

Im probably completely wrong - but i always thought that with some of the bigger name signings at Madrid it was due to the president rather than the manager - and that all he expects of Pellegrini is to make sure he gets all these players playing together as a team.
Its obvious to everyone - and im sure to someone as astute as pellegrini that they lack strength at the back -- but no Madrid president ever won an election promising to sign a steady and assured CB...

I'm sure your right, but I think the manager can ask for the president to make some signings.

Of course, Florentino Perez is as much to blame for this as Pellegrini... He's elected into the seat based on what he promised, he promised big name signings and he duly delivered. It's just unfortunate for Pellegrini that he'll fall to decisions ultimately made by his superiors.

I'm not a fan of the system in Spain. You're electing chairman on the basis of "who can promise the most" and the fans will, almost always, suffer due to the consequences. Capello waltzed into Real, won La Liga, and was sacked because they didn't like the way he played or his transfer policy, which was to go with substance over style.

You're not wrong. Pellegrini was on holiday when many of the signings were made. He was adamant that Real should sign a full back and a centre back (Arbeloa and Albiol respectively, the latter of whom was Real's best player last night), but the 'galactico' signings this summer were made regardless of whether he wanted them or not.

I picked up a couple of Catalan newspapers today and they made no attempt at disguising their glee over Real falling at this stage once again. If Barcelona were to win the European Cup at the Bernabéu heads would exlpoding with rage across Madrid.

Back