• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kay, I believe u sit in the west which I do as well so next game i attend i promise to introduce myself as i never have any issues with introducing myself, maybe you would like to introduce me to davewebbsbrain?
As DWB says, absolutely no problem. Scott knows where I am

You can't tell we've lost can you? I mean this board was full of posts the other week when we won 3 and drew 1 in the space of just over a week!!!

We lose a home game - and to be fair, we lost to the better team - and all of a sudden, everyone goes into meltdown again. 7 days prior to this of course, we outplayed the league leaders on their own patch, and had both of our strikers not been out injured, I'm certain we would have buried them, and now be sitting in the play offs quite comfortably. Yes, today was a bad day at the office, but the blame is probably down to PS getting the tactics wrong - He opted for 5-3-2 which didn't work, but I can also see the reasons why he did that - Crewe have been scoring goals for fun, and are the best footballing side in this division - if we tried to match up to them just by playing football, we'd have no doubt got beaten - He tried something different, it didn't work, let's move on.

Talk of us being bad enough to go down is just bizarre - If, in your hour of desperation, you need some comfort, it is that we have beaten teams worse than us in this league this season, and comfortably. It is going to take time, we have 20+ new players, and yesterday, we had 45 of our first team missing - That is a lot for any team to deal with, let alone one where fringe players haven't had the time to gel yet like the others have.

Yesterdays defeat was not down to anything happening off the pitch - we got beaten, simple as. Why do people analyse every defeat on here to the enth degree? As I said in a previous thread, if the Board, RM and co are responsible for our loss yesterday, then they are also responsible for everytime we win I presume - I didn't see much praise being handed out the other week when we were playing exceptionally well?

Tilly isn't in charge any more - But, we cannot have an inquest every time we lose like this, and start trying to find reasons why we lost, it just isn't healthy. (corrected)

Reading the threads over the last week one could have the impression that the Ashura Festival has come rather early, thought that it was still a good few months away?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWunyHapPA
Now, it's true that there are only a minority of muslims that are in to self-flagellation. It does however appear that there are a minority on here that not only follow this tradition but are also keen to put on a hairshirt after the act!

Last edited:
1) What rumours? A bounced cheque? Or have I missed something else? And whether I trust or believe RM will steer us to safety is irrelevant. I just hope he will, but as I have stated in my earlier post, it may not happen. Nothing has any guarantees.

I hope I win the lottery one day, unfortunately I know the odds are against it, hence why I have to take action and work for a living.

2) Not if it meant the club being in an even worse state afterwards. Despite asking loads of times, no-one has ever demonstrated how we would be better off without him there. My fear is that even if he went (which he won't) he could hold the club to ransom by charging rent. No-one has ever told me that can't or won't happen.

An even worse state? We're hanging onto our very existence by a mere thread, which if certain rumours are true, could snap very soon

I think the overall thing here is that getting Ron Martin out isn't the solution. The question of who takes over afterwards is. For instance, let's say one of us won the £100m on the lottery that was mentioned on another thread. Let's say it was me. How happy would everyone be for me to be the new owner? Because I would try to run the club as a business, which would almost certainly mean massive cuts in admin expenses, no transfers in, selling the best players like Grant, and if it meant we had to drop to Conference level or bring in part time players to make a profit then so be it. Maybe the only profitable solution would be to merge with Chelmsford, or maybe even Colchester or Orient. Maybe the solution would be to remarket the club completely and sell out sponsorship rights, so we would actually be "Sainsbury United".

As a businessman I would only be in it for the money. There would be no value in the stadium because I wouldn't own it. I'd have to do whatever to get the money in and you can't rely on lucky cup runs.

And I'm a big fan.

Someone please tell me why any non-fan owner would be any different.

Does that answer your questions?
I know what you're saying about out of the frying pan etc, but the current regime is that bad, I'd accept anyone else

I hope I win the lottery one day, unfortunately I know the odds are against it, hence why I have to take action and work for a living.

An even worse state? We're hanging onto our very existence by a mere thread, which if certain rumours are true, could snap very soon

I know what you're saying about out of the frying pan etc, but the current regime is that bad, I'd accept anyone else

1) We all have to work for a living. I currently have a day job and usually have to work some evenings and weekends as well. What point were you making there?

2) As long as we can say it could be worse, it can get worse. What happens if certain rumours aren't true? What happens if other rumours are true, for instance the ones about building starting very soon?

3) You say you'd accept anyone but that's because it hasn't happened. Trust me, if someone with the ideas I'd mentioned earlier came in you'd soon be moaning about how much worse it was. I will refer you to John Batchelor, who took over York City and in 12 months PERSONALLY asset stripped it of £120,000 causing the club to be relegated, nearly fold completely and have the lease on their ground torn up. He then went after Chester City, wanting to rename it "Harchester United". He was open, honest and up front about his plans - just like some want Ron to be - and surprise surprise, the fans didn't think it was a good idea, which is just about as big an understatement as you can get.

1) We all have to work for a living. I currently have a day job and usually have to work some evenings and weekends as well. What point were you making there?
Well, you hope Martin can steer us to saftey, I hope I can win the lottery, bottom line, the odds are against both.

2) As long as we can say it could be worse, it can get worse. What happens if certain rumours aren't true? What happens if other rumours are true, for instance the ones about building starting very soon?

The same building rumours that we were ment to start building last year? then moved to June? Then moved to August? Then moved to October? Pretty much the same that we've been hearing for about the past 4 years? Yep, maybe one day they'll come to fruition.

3) You say you'd accept anyone but that's because it hasn't happened. Trust me, if someone with the ideas I'd mentioned earlier came in you'd soon be moaning about how much worse it was. I will refer you to John Batchelor, who took over York City and in 12 months PERSONALLY asset stripped it of £120,000 causing the club to be relegated, nearly fold completely and have the lease on their ground torn up. He then went after Chester City, wanting to rename it "Harchester United". He was open, honest and up front about his plans - just like some want Ron to be - and surprise surprise, the fans didn't think it was a good idea, which is just about as big an understatement as you can get.

I really am not fussed about other clubs and what have happened to them. All I care about, is SUFC, and currently SUFC are heading down a very fast motorway

Well, you hope Martin can steer us to saftey, I hope I can win the lottery, bottom line, the odds are against both.

At least the odds re the lottery are measurable. Who makes the odds re Ron Martin? That's just people's opinion who don't have all the facts. The same people who predicted doom and destruction last year, administration, points deductions, etc. We survived all those so actually the odds are very much in our favour, if you want to bring sample data into it.

The same building rumours that we were ment to start building last year? then moved to June? Then moved to August? Then moved to October? Pretty much the same that we've been hearing for about the past 4 years? Yep, maybe one day they'll come to fruition.

Maybe they will and maybe they won't. But if you're going to take rumour as fact then it cuts both ways. You WANT to believe the bad rumours because that fits in with your opinion. Personally I'd rather not judge as I don't possess all the facts.

I really am not fussed about other clubs and what have happened to them. All I care about, is SUFC, and currently SUFC are heading down a very fast motorway

Whilst you may not be fussed about other clubs, you might take an interest in what their previous owners track records are if they ever got near SUFC. Mr Batchelor won't as he died earlier this year but someone else with his ideas might. That last comment of yours sounds like a cop out of a question you can't answer, just like the sort of thing a parent says to a child when they can't think of a reason why they don't let their kids do what other kids are doing. If you're going to make statements like "I don't care who's in charge it's got to be better than Ron Martin" at least have the back up argument in place when someone presents you with a scenario that is clearly worse. Or be man enough and actually admit that maybe your original belief was flawed and maybe you might actually care who get's hold of our club. You say all you care about is SUFC yet you don't care who is in charge as long as it isn't Ron? I don't think so.

Whilst you may not be fussed about other clubs, you might take an interest in what their previous owners track records are if they ever got near SUFC. Mr Batchelor won't as he died earlier this year but someone else with his ideas might. That last comment of yours sounds like a cop out of a question you can't answer, just like the sort of thing a parent says to a child when they can't think of a reason why they don't let their kids do what other kids are doing. If you're going to make statements like "I don't care who's in charge it's got to be better than Ron Martin" at least have the back up argument in place when someone presents you with a scenario that is clearly worse. Or be man enough and actually admit that maybe your original belief was flawed and maybe you might actually care who get's hold of our club. You say all you care about is SUFC yet you don't care who is in charge as long as it isn't Ron? I don't think so.

Firstly, whether you take it as a cop out or not, I personally couldn't care less. Yes, I would have anyone other than Martin in charge. If they turned out to be as bad, or worse, then the same thing would happen again,, people would call for heads to roll. You believe what you want, and I'll do the same. I believe this club is not far off of total meltdown. If Martin stays here, IMO the club will fold. You choose not to listen to rumours? I choose to believe reliable sources. The best form of defence is a strong offence. Why sit around waiting and hoping it'll be ok? Why wait until the judge liquidizes us to do something?

Secondly, you wanna talk about being man enough? How about strapping on a pair and fighting for your club, instead of watching it dissolve infront of your eyes? IMO you're the one with the cop out, claiming there's nothing we can do, all we can do is hope etc. That is not just a defeatist attitude, but a damn right shocking attitude. You wanna sit back and hope everything turns out ok. Sooner or later, their may not be a club left to worry about

please excuse my ignorance but what are the 'rumours' that keep appearing on this thread.
I have read a 'rumour' on a thread that says a cheque paid to Brush bounced, I have read another 'rumour' that this is the tip of the iceberg.
I then read threads about people not caring about the club becasue they are doing nothing.

What exactly are the rumours, and how much substance is there in them ? This is a genuine question

Purely out of interest, what would people suppose we do if these protests were to be successful, Ron Martin left his capacity as chairman and started to charge us rent? Because I don't think too many people would be willing to pick up a club that loses money when it isn't paying circa £400,000 rent per annum.

Firstly, whether you take it as a cop out or not, I personally couldn't care less. Yes, I would have anyone other than Martin in charge. If they turned out to be as bad, or worse, then the same thing would happen again,, people would call for heads to roll. You believe what you want, and I'll do the same. I believe this club is not far off of total meltdown. If Martin stays here, IMO the club will fold. You choose not to listen to rumours? I choose to believe reliable sources. The best form of defence is a strong offence. Why sit around waiting and hoping it'll be ok? Why wait until the judge liquidizes us to do something?

Secondly, you wanna talk about being man enough? How about strapping on a pair and fighting for your club, instead of watching it dissolve infront of your eyes? IMO you're the one with the cop out, claiming there's nothing we can do, all we can do is hope etc. That is not just a defeatist attitude, but a damn right shocking attitude. You wanna sit back and hope everything turns out ok. Sooner or later, their may not be a club left to worry about

So you're happy to put blind faith in anyone, absolutely anyone other than Ron Martin?

And your justification is that we can do all this again if they turn out to be worse?

And then you say we may not have a club if we do nothing, and that's somehow partly my fault?

We'll obviously never agree on this, but for the record you asked me two tiny questions, I gave you my answers, and you can't really offer a counter. We now all know you don't care who runs the club, yet you claim the club is all you care about. Sorry - that's just nonsense. Believe me, you'll be the one of the ones that shouts loudest if it all goes wrong.

And why does anyone think protests will do any good? Did it do the Liverpool fans any good? No. It was an american billionaire who happened to be on the scene. And how long before he is spoken of in the same way as Hicks and Gillett? Did it do Man Utd fans any good when they moaned about the Glazers? No. Will falling attendances have any effect on Ron Martin? No. He'll make his money from the development, not the gate receipts.

So carry on mate, work yourself up into a frenzy, "put on a pair" as you put it and you go and shout and scream and rant and fight all you want.

I'll just carry on being a fan, cheering from the stands as often as I can. When there is something that needs to be done and when I feel as though my efforts will have a positive effect, then rest assured I'll be there. If that means helping resurrect the club from the ashes, then so be it.

But I doubt that there is anything anyone can do at the moment to be honest. In my time I've done enough of banging my head against a brick wall.

But I doubt that there is anything anyone can do at the moment to be honest.

And that unfortunately in one sentence sums up just exactly how Ron Martin can stumble from one disaster to another with the (formerly) good name of Southend United FC being dragged through the mud. He's been clever and worn pretty much everybody down so that people's first thoughts when asked to protest (or even show their disatisafaction) are exactly that there's nothing they can do so why bother.

Not a direct dig at you too there by the way FBM.

Purely out of interest, what would people suppose we do if these protests were to be successful, Ron Martin left his capacity as chairman and started to charge us rent? Because I don't think too many people would be willing to pick up a club that loses money when it isn't paying circa £400,000 rent per annum.

But RM does not own RH. Sainsbury's do?

I'm sure they would not be interested in charging rent. They just want the store built.

But RM does not own RH. Sainsbury's do?

I'm sure they would not be interested in charging rent. They just want the store built.

Sainsbury's could start charging us rent, knowing full well we couldn't pay it, in order to evict us nice and easily.

In all of these various threads about RM, directly or indirectly, about getting rid of him, I may have missed this but has anyone got a postive plan of how they intend to get rid of him and what they going to put in his place?

If holding a protest outside the ground is all that anyone has to offer then I suggest that this would have little impact as he must already know the view of the fans.

So what's the plan?

Back