• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah I would say the wettest was Newcastle away followed by Yeovil the coldest would have to be Chesterfield in the fa cup away Had trouble rolling my fags

Wettest for me has to be at home to Port Vale, cant remember exactly when, probably 7-10 years ago. Walked to ground got drenched then sat in west stand watching pre match warm up on what was obviously becoming a duck pond. Thankfully match was called off before it started, so slopped back to car.

Being well hard (and fat) I never seem to feel the cold so cant help there.

Col U away when Barrett stumped his foot in the sand was pretty damn cold.

This for me as well.

Wettest has to be a home game in about '76 (Plymouth I think) I was persuaded to give up my usual spot behind the goal on the North Bank for the Open terrace that was the South Bank.
It rained so hard the urinal trough in the open air toilet overflowed and it started flowing down the steps. Halcyon days indeed

Too many cold ones to remember!
Wettest circa 1990 I think it was Boxing Day and it was someone like tranmere/brentford/Cambridge when we were all up for promotion. We lost 2-1 or 2-0. What I do remember more vividly was the cheap Santa hats we bought on the high street turning a rather unpleasant pink color as the rain poured and poured standing exposed on the north bank. Aaaahhh those were the days!

Coldest - Heartlepool away a couple of seasons ago on a cold snowbound Tuesday evening, we won 2-1 with them missing a penalty towards the end of the game,I remember we was the only game on that night in the North east and on the way home the windscreen wipers froze near Lincoln. The wettest was Newcastle awy in the 90's on the first game of the season, standing in the corner part of the ground with no cover and only shorts t-shirt and flip-flops for company........I should have changed my clothes at Scotch corner as the weather always changes there

Went to Wimbledon's old Plough Lane ground many years ago and for the whole game it poured onto an open end for away supporters. Great game but I think we lost 7-6 on the night. We were all very cold and soaked through

1) Coldest was Saturday 30th December 2000 against Torquay. There was snow on the ground (along with the pitch) but the club was determined for the game to go ahead and 3,643 of us froze watching a quite entertaining 1-1 draw.

2) Wettest was away to Yeovil on 20 November 2004. The heavens opened with a mix of rain and sleet and that uncovered away stand didnt help in the slightest. Poor game and Kevin Maher got sent off which changed the game completely, Yeovil got two late goals to win 1-3. Very long journey home as well.

Edit: Thanks sufcdb for the dates :smile:

1) Coldest

Has to be MK dons away at the national hockey stadium. Was a naff day in general but topped off with the fact it was literally Siberian temperatures. We lost, there was no where to drink and I think this was as cold as the UK has ever been

2) Wettest

Bristol Rovers away this season just gone. It literally rained the whole second half and there was almost no cover. My jeans were so wet I had to hand drier them off my legs once I got back to the hotel. My notes were soaked in my wallet and my socks and shoes I had to peel off me. Only positive from the night is I learnt that my K-Way jacket can survive a monsoon.

That Rovers match was the worst - my hood was just acting as a funnel for the sideways rain. I took five first-timers, who'd never been to a Southend match before that night - they'll never go back. The awful weather was matched by the quality of the football. I remember two absolute shockers at Yeovil too and one at Exeter that came close - it's clearly a west country thing.

1) Coldest - away to Plymouth circa 1999 on that big old away terrace they had before the ground was redeveloped. Spurs in the League Cup in 2006 was a bit chilly too - walking back from the ground, I couldn't feel my feet until I got back to Seven Sisters tube, which is not a short walk

2) Wettest - like Pubey, I think I've been pretty lucky here as none really stick in the mind. Most away games I have been to I seem to have got away with it, e.g. I remember a total deluge at Aldershot but were safely under a roof.*

*Clearly, now I have written this, it will **** down all day at York in September.

Palace away in the 90s for me. It was a Tuesday night and before they built the new stand behind the goal. Got soaked walking from the station, soaked in the ground, lost 1-0 to an injury time goal, got soaked on way back to the station and then had a flat battery when i got back to Billericay. In terms of coldest, defo that night at Hartlepool that others have mentioned. I was one of 115 away fans, but did get Che Wilsons shirt at the end of the game.

For the wettest, anywhere where you go with an open terrace is a recipe for disaster.

Gillingham. Newcastle as mentioned previously, Mansfield comes to mind from the earlt 90s when it just teemed down, as does Yeovil. You just go in these grounds the rains just falls and falls the only cover is the bog, and there is only so much time you can spend in there, and only so many you can squeeze in. You look at your watch and you know there is no escape from the rain for a couple of hours.

Especially annoying when the home fans are all sheltered in the dry!

Another vote for MK Dons away for the coldest. Remember that day as I started the chant "Stand up if your arse is numb"

For wettest it could be picked from so many. There was a week last season where I think we played Hull in the FA Cup and then Daggers away on the Tuesday and it absolutely hammered it down in the second half of both. But luckily I was under shelter on both occasions. I agree with DoDTS that you only really notice about the wet weather when you're on an open terrace so trips to Gills and Yeovil spring to mind.

Coldest: Scarborough in the cup replay, must be 10 years ago now. It seemed to get a lot colder when they scored late on as well
Wettest: Hull City away 1998/99. Mainly my own fault as I stood on the terrace, when other sensibly escaped to the covered seating. Still got soaked and then thrown out after Conlon scored.

Another vote for MK Dons away for the coldest. Remember that day as I started the chant "Stand up if your arse is numb"

For wettest it could be picked from so many. There was a week last season where I think we played Hull in the FA Cup and then Daggers away on the Tuesday and it absolutely hammered it down in the second half of both. But luckily I was under shelter on both occasions. I agree with DoDTS that you only really notice about the wet weather when you're on an open terrace so trips to Gills and Yeovil spring to mind.

**** I'd forgotten about Hull! Not so much at the game, but on the walk back to Prittlewell I couldn't have got wetter if I'd jumped in a swimming pool. The car journey home was not helped by three separate stops so my daughter could go to the toilet (two of which were false alarms) and by the time I got back to Hemel two hours later I was practically hypothermic!

Coldest: Definitely the FA Cup replay at Roots Hall against Bury a few years back. I've never wished a match to finish in 90 minutes so badly - however the match went to extra time and penalties (of which Dan Bentley saved 3 of Bury's and sent us through).

Coldest without a doubt MK Dons. Not so much the wettest but the most scary (and wet) Macclesfield away, open terrace, lots of metal caging etc in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm. Genuinly thought someone was going to get hit by a bolt of lightening that day.

Coldest: Scarborough in the cup replay, must be 10 years ago now. It seemed to get a lot colder when they scored late on as well

It got cold very quickly - I bought a fleece at the service station! Pasty was empty, tea was warm at best, got home 03:30 and at work 07:00 same day. "Did you go?" they asked. :'(

Agreed - Bury at home in the cup was freezing. The pitch had a frosty sheen all over it. From memory one of the defenders described it as the most dangerous pitch he had ever played on.

Wettest - Yeovil away - Roofless terrace, more drizzle than pouring rain but ended up getting soaked. Still, the winning feeling at the end made it worth it - Barnard & Robson-Kanu scored for us & Yeovil had 2 men sent off right at the end.

Coldest - Stadium:MK - Empty top tier (well, it was empty a couple of years ago!) and the massive gap going round the perimeter of the ground (at the top of the stands) made for a freezing couple of hours. Losing didn't help. Did see Matt Paterson's first goal for us however...

Back