• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leeblue

Members⭐
So as we have another brown out thread raging along nicely I thought i would ask, if not Brown then who?
I have a few names off the top of my head I would plump for

1. Alan Devonshire, last season with Braintree was simply brilliant.
2. Justin Edinburgh
3. Martin Ling

I am primarily thinking of realistic names, those who have had a degree of success elsewhere as well as links to the club already there.

Ron will want to go for someone who is a bit of a name, who's done it at L1 level at least and who has contacts. I can't see him going for a cheap, untested option; he has always backed the managers. I also think it won't be anyone currently in work.

Sturrock and Brown were two "bigger than expected" names. I would expect someone similar, although I have no idea who it could be. Curbishley springs to mind but he has been out of the game a long time and doesn't know the lower leagues.

I'd honestly expect Justin Edinburgh to be high up on a list of potential managers, but this is all a little premature isn't it?

Devonshire is currently on a run similar to ours if not worse
Edinburgh is currently at the only club he has had a reasonable amout of success with.
Martin Ling suffers from depression, I would not hold that against him, but given the abuse heaped on managers at this club, I would not like to see my clubs fans undo his rehabilitation.

Me , id pick Hope Powell, the publicity and potential sponsorship etc could come in handy

So as we have another brown out thread raging along nicely I thought i would ask, if not Brown then who?
I have a few names off the top of my head I would plump for

1. Alan Devonshire, last season with Braintree was simply brilliant.
2. Justin Edinburgh
3. Martin Ling

I am primarily thinking of realistic names, those who have had a degree of success elsewhere as well as links to the club already there.

Good options possibly. I have no personal knowledge of Devonshire but having listened to a number of his interviews he sounds a bit of a prickly character. Not sure how he would get on with RM. Edinburgh is one of our own, a great playing career and gaining managerial experience. I do like the thought of Ling. Over his personal issues and a proven track record. He would certainly know about attacking play.

My bad not been on the zone a great deal ...who won

Dave Penney 33 19.30%
Steve Tilson 14 8.19%
Chris Powell 19 11.11%
Alan Devonshire 22 12.87%
Graeme Coughlan 23 13.45%
Justin Edinburgh 20 11.70%
Russel Wilcox 7 4.09%
Dougie Freedman 10 5.85%
Peter Taylor 1 0.58%
Dougie Freedman 2 1.17%
Sean O'Driscoll 6 3.51%
Cherie Lunghi 14 8.19%

We're supposed to be supporters. It's not supportive to discuss who should succeed a person who isn't going anywhere (yet).

Dave Penney 33 19.30%
Steve Tilson 14 8.19%
Chris Powell 19 11.11%
Alan Devonshire 22 12.87%
Graeme Coughlan 23 13.45%
Justin Edinburgh 20 11.70%
Russel Wilcox 7 4.09%
Dougie Freedman 10 5.85%
Peter Taylor 1 0.58%
Dougie Freedman 2 1.17%
Sean O'Driscoll 6 3.51%
Cherie Lunghi 14 8.19%

Interesting, although the argument against penney may be he would dish up much the same

I agree ok we all got it off our chest now time to move on... we are still in a playoff position and IMHO Phil Brown is our manager and we need to support our club 110% to promotion :-) bad day at the office .lol

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see a huge, expensive name for League 2, much like Brown was when he first arrived. Someone like Alan Curbishley.

We're supposed to be supporters. It's not supportive to discuss who should succeed a person who isn't going anywhere (yet).
You always have opposing views that cause debate.... Some people want him to remain, some don't...supporting your club comes in differing ways....after the Harlow debacle and now yesterday's shambles, I would say I am still supporting my club, but I am questioning my support for the manager...

I support the club. Players, managers etc come and go, fans stay as a constant. I've never liked brown, I don't rate him, his record is crap. If he stays so be it, I support the team, I'd prefer if he walked to be honest. If he goes then I will still support the team who ever the replacement is.

If Brown was to go at any stage then Dougie Freedman wouldn't surprise me actually. It's very possible that RM would go for a manager who has recently been in charge at a much higher level than this - thank God Lee Clark has found a new job!

If you asked me about managers I'd personally be happy with I'd throw names like Steve Clarke out there, although it's highly unlikely someone like him would drop down this far.

That said though I do think Brown should get more time to get it right.

I am as disgruntled as the next fan with how the team are playing , Browns tactics and the general lack of direction right now.
But , whatever way you look at it we are a third of the way through the season and sit in the play offs.
Now I know as a club we should be used to adverse public opinion , but to kick out your Manager when the team are currently matching what I assume was the basic minimum requirement of this season , seems a bit if a wonky idea , even got us.

Apologies as this doesn't really fit with this thread but I couldn't be bothered to change threads.

Back