• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So as we have another brown out thread raging along nicely I thought i would ask, if not Brown then who?
I have a few names off the top of my head I would plump for

1. Alan Devonshire, last season with Braintree was simply brilliant.
2. Justin Edinburgh
3. Martin Ling

I am primarily thinking of realistic names, those who have had a degree of success elsewhere as well as links to the club already there.
First 2 are doing ok where they are and Ling has dealt with depression, why would any of them come to a club that is close to being broke with a squad that will never score enough goals to go any higher.?

The way things have gone over recent seasons, Id have more respect for Ron if he took a punt on a manager like Danny Cowley at Concord.

First 2 are doing ok where they are and Ling has dealt with depression, why would any of them come to a club that is close to being broke with a squad that will never score enough goals to go any higher.?

I agree 100 per cent about the squad...but many on here think the squad is good and lay blame squarely with brown. Devonshire would drop braintree sharpish if we offered him a job.

I do not think Phil Brown is going anytime soon. But should things get worse, I hope the Chairman would have the good financial sense not to go for a 'name' that has never managed at this level, but rather go for someone who has had success working on a tight budget in lower league soccer. In my view, Justin Edinburgh is the logical choice, but I also think Martin Allen is an excellent manager, and is currently demonstrating this again at Barnet after taking Gillingham up from Division 2 a couple of years ago.

I do not think Phil Brown is going anytime soon. But should things get worse, I hope the Chairman would have the good financial sense not to go for a 'name' that has never managed at this level, but rather go for someone who has had success working on a tight budget in lower league soccer. In my view, Justin Edinburgh is the logical choice, but I also think Martin Allen is an excellent manager, and is currently demonstrating this again at Barnet after taking Gillingham up from Division 2 a couple of years ago.

Martin Allen would be a good option, if and when that is..

Cannot see Brown going before the end of the season though, can RM afford to sack him,

personally i want RM gone before PB...

I could do a better job then Brown at the moment his tactical decisions and sub changes in recent games have been shocking! I cannot remember in all my time as a fan so many boos as from the changes on Saturday.

Now Brooklyn has been signed up by Arsenal I expect Old Man Beckham to be applying for any managerial vacancy with our exalted club. His Mrs can be a Bluebells 'Wannabe'.

Adam Barrett as player manager, with Steve Tilson as his mentor would suit me. That is assuming they could forgive the Chairman for his past mistakes. I do know, though, that both of these gentleman would do just that for the chance to come back to the only club they ever loved.

Myself ,i like the thought of a non league manager being given the opportunityto manage a league club, had enough of these so called big name managers.Give a person who really is keen to show his worth.Afew been mentioned here too.

I do think, as I said on another thread, that Browns contract should be sorted and he given more time. Look at what has happened at Newcastle. There was 40,000 plus baying for his head there week in week out and the guy must have kahunas of steel. When they realised that Ashley wasn't going to get rid, they (the fans) decided to back him... and now they're up to 8th in the Prem.

Fan power is the key... what we need to decide is what is more important; a) going up, or b) getting rid of Brown? If it's a) then it doesn't matter who's in charge so let's all just get behind the team and the management. Let's make the opposition afraid of us, not our own bloomin' players!

Unlikely (out of work) candidates

Di Matteo
Di Canio
Malky Mackay

:dim:

There's no way Mackay would drop to this level. I'd have Di Canio here though, he'd sort a lot of things out, wouldn't take any crap from anyone. His Swindon side were phenomenal.

Alan Devonshire wouldn't take the job. It's a slightly odd situation. He's on a retirement through injury type pension and doesn't get paid by braintree. His wages to go his wife who may or may not get paid an awful lot to do a bit of part time administration. As well as that, I don't think he drives, and at league 2 level that is a must to be able to get out and see as many games as possible.

Back