• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I recently noticed the pressure gauge reading low on my combi boiler. I re-pressurized the system only to notice the pressure drop off again over the next few days.

This pointed to a leak in the central heating system which could have involved ripping up newly laid floors at worst and at best would have been a major pain to find.

Luckily for me an Eagle eyed visitor noticed a small crack in my lounge ceiling and tiny patch of discoloration.

Lifting the floorboards I found that whoever plumbed in the radiators had bent the pipes in such a way that it stressed an elbow joint and caused it to leak. I drained the system, cut the pipe and re-routed it. A bit of brazing and a system refil later and the jobs a good 'un and I estimate I saved about a ton in plumbers fees as well as twenty tea bags, a bag of sugar and packet of chocolate digestives.

Anyone else?

Did I tell you the story of a fridge I once had.....

I'm the first to admit I'm not that handy, but I'm pretty decent with a bit of wallpapering. Back on the hallway this weekend.

I can feel the victorian floorboards on our upstairs landing moving and creaking and gradually splitting. Worried I might need to get the carpet up and do some repairs. Last time I replaced a floorboard I went through a pipe - because I'm a moron. So might just ignore it....

Popped into the aged parents house the other day after a trip to the pub, and they wanted help hanging their new, absolutely, massive mirror. Slightly the worse for wear, I measured all the dimensions and calculated the correct drilling spots to keep the mirror exactly centred on the wall. If I'd realised, I could have hung it from a wire centrally, but instead chose to drill 2 holes (one for each side of the mirror), meaning that they had to be perfectly drilled to keep everything hunky dory. In my squiffy state, I cant really remember the ridiculous amounts of measuring I did, calculating height, width and the necessary clearances, but eventually I plucked up the drill and confidently made the 2 holes in the newly decorated wall. Against all the odds, it was absolutely perfect - centred, correct height, and completely level according to the spirit level. No idea how it happened, and would definitely not recommend DIY after a visit to the pub.

Popped into the aged parents house the other day after a trip to the pub, and they wanted help hanging their new, absolutely, massive mirror.

Did it have 2 inches of Plaster, Tiles and Wall stuck to it? :whistling:

Popped into the aged parents house the other day after a trip to the pub, and they wanted help hanging their new, absolutely, massive mirror. Slightly the worse for wear, I measured all the dimensions and calculated the correct drilling spots to keep the mirror exactly centred on the wall. If I'd realised, I could have hung it from a wire centrally, but instead chose to drill 2 holes (one for each side of the mirror), meaning that they had to be perfectly drilled to keep everything hunky dory. In my squiffy state, I cant really remember the ridiculous amounts of measuring I did, calculating height, width and the necessary clearances, but eventually I plucked up the drill and confidently made the 2 holes in the newly decorated wall. Against all the odds, it was absolutely perfect - centred, correct height, and completely level according to the spirit level. No idea how it happened, and would definitely not recommend DIY after a visit to the pub.

Funny.

Off topic (slightly) but many years ago when the BBC did their Test the Nation series I did their IQ test with a serious hangover and scored pretty damn well!

I recently noticed the pressure gauge reading low on my combi boiler. I re-pressurized the system only to notice the pressure drop off again over the next few days.

This pointed to a leak in the central heating system which could have involved ripping up newly laid floors at worst and at best would have been a major pain to find.

Luckily for me an Eagle eyed visitor noticed a small crack in my lounge ceiling and tiny patch of discoloration.

Lifting the floorboards I found that whoever plumbed in the radiators had bent the pipes in such a way that it stressed an elbow joint and caused it to leak. I drained the system, cut the pipe and re-routed it. A bit of brazing and a system refil later and the jobs a good 'un and I estimate I saved about a ton in plumbers fees as well as twenty tea bags, a bag of sugar and packet of chocolate digestives.

Anyone else?

Lucky b'stard, I have the same issue but sadly I am not seeing any visible signs of where it is. Now it can only really be in one of two places, the lounge, which is no issue as it is carpeted (Sorry Cricko it may have to come up) or the kitchen/diner which is a fair size around the 30ft mark and fully tiled. I think I can already guess which one it is going to be.

Lucky b'stard, I have the same issue but sadly I am not seeing any visible signs of where it is. Now it can only really be in one of two places, the lounge, which is no issue as it is carpeted (Sorry Cricko it may have to come up) or the kitchen/diner which is a fair size around the 30ft mark and fully tiled. I think I can already guess which one it is going to be.

We had the same issue, it was a radiator valve. The leak was so small you could barely notice the water running down the back of the pipe.

We had the same issue, it was a radiator valve. The leak was so small you could barely notice the water running down the back of the pipe.

Going to recheck everything before I contemplate taking the kitchen floor up though fortunately it seems to be a very very slow leak.

Going to recheck everything before I contemplate taking the kitchen floor up though fortunately it seems to be a very very slow leak.

Yeah fortunately I spotted it because we have a cellar and I could see the lagging on the pipe under the floor was saturated. It was impossible to spot from the top. I'd recommend checking every pipe coming up to every radiator. If not it's going to be somewhere more difficult I guess:sad:

You haven't mentioned how chuffed at being able to hang their coats the other side of the wall:winking:

Back