• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have absolutely no ideas or insider info, but look at the signs:

• Bolton have appointed a temporary manager until the end of the season.
  • Our local media states that Phil is with the club at least until the end of the season.
  • Most of those 'in the know' on here seem to think that the deal is done, it's just the timing that is in the balance.
  • Bolton's local rag is still reckoning that Brown is going to be the man.
  • Our results since all the Bolton interest started have been less than impressive.
  • Our manager is openly critical of the side, individually and collectively.
  • The only rebuttal of Bolton's 'Interest' has been from Ron, and even that has been a little caveated.

If you were unbiased and from another area of the country other that Southend or Bolton, what conclusions would you reach?

I wouldn't give it a second thought :winking:

I have posted this despite doing a demanding job with the Metropolitan Police and having no children and none on the way. I will be going to juicer now to rant away about bollocks - I thank you.

I'd quite happily see Brown walk away now, giving the new man time to properly take stock of the current squad, contractual situations, and gaps which need plugging.
My choice would be Danny Cowley, hands down. I'd rather see youthful enthusiasm and a fresh, positive approach to our football, than dated stereotypical lower league tactics every weekend.

I think also think Danny Cowley would be an excellent choice. He clearly has a big managerial future head of him and it is only a matter of time before a league club recognises the incredible job he had done at Braintree and appoints him. But somehow I cannot see Southend being that club.

If, as I suspect, Ron Martin wants someone with more league experience he could do worse than look at Keith Hill at Rochdale. Like Ainsworth, Hill knows how to run a successful club on a very tight budget.

Would Cowley want the step-up though.

At the moment, he is a PE Teacher at Fitz and probably has a decent life balance, whereas being full time at Southend might change too many things.

I wouldn't give it a second thought :winking:

I have posted this despite doing a demanding job with the Metropolitan Police and having no children and none on the way. I will be going to juicer now to rant away about bollocks - I thank you.
Is the job, cleaning toilets? Take some mouthwash:nope:

I've been a moderator for nearly 3 years and I cannot for the life of me think of any occasion when I have been 'throwing my super moderator powers around'. Yes I will admit I sometimes do post in an aggressive manner due to my passion for the club and other things I am passionate about. If we got rid of a moderator every time for posting in an 'aggressive manner' there would be none left as we are all prone to odd rant/outburst. And finally you don't know me! So how can you know I am the wrong type of person to be a moderator? I volunteer my own time whilst having a family of 3 children with a 4th on the way whilst also maintaining a demanding job within Her Majesty's Armed Forces. I do this for free and to help keep this great site running for users like yourself to enjoy a good old rant.
Can't beat a little rant now and then, particularly after Southend have crashed to a defeat that Brown can't fathom.

From a cynical point of view.

I do wonder if maybe PB's rants at the players and speaking publicly about them is just a way of distancing himself from a defeat and keeping his CV solid.

In a kind of, 'I've done well at Southend with limited resources' ... 'Yes, but what about those games where you've shipped 4 goals?' .. 'Well, that was the players' fault and I've had to boot a few out of the side, as a result'

From a cynical point of view.

I do wonder if maybe PB's rants at the players and speaking publicly about them is just a way of distancing himself from a defeat and keeping his CV solid.

In a kind of, 'I've done well at Southend with limited resources' ... 'Yes, but what about those games where you've shipped 4 goals?' .. 'Well, that was the players' fault and I've had to boot a few out of the side, as a result'

His comments should remain in the dressing room,end of,fact.

His comments should remain in the dressing room,end of,fact.

Yes then the players can let everyone know what was said in the next 48 hrs just like after Swindon.

What do people want from a mangers interview after a 4-1 defeat... 'the ref never gave us a throw and that lead to their third' etc.

The players won't be bothered, they know the performance was poor. Its being booed for having a bad touch or pass 5mins into a match at RH that that really bothers them.....end of fact and any other term that says I'm right and everyone else is wrong and no need for further discussion....end of fact.

Last edited:
Yes then the players can let everyone know what was said in the next 48 hrs just like after Swindon.

What do people want fro m an interview after a 4-1 defeat... 'the ref never gave us a throw and that lead to their third' etc.

The players won't be bothered, they know the performance was poor. Its being booed for having a bad touch or pass 5mins into a match at RH that that really bothers them.....end of fact and any other term that says I'm right and everyone else is wrong and no need for further discussion....end of fact.

He could say "we were very poor' and then keep the other stuff behind locked doors .

Virtually naming and shaming individual players will make those very same players not be willing to run through brick walls for the gaffer.

I think that the club would do well to part company with Phil Brown. He's not done a bad job, but does the club [and his team] no favours with his constant rants and jibes at match officials. I live in Scotland and have been involved in the game at a number of levels for years. I mainly get to see Southend when they play north of Crewe...regardless of how well the team are playing, the manager seems to take every opportunity to point out the shortcomings of the ref and linesman [I always thought that was the fans job].
I honestly believe that his rants result in the fact that Southend don't win many appeals for borderline fouls or some stonewall penalties. I wouldn't expect the guy to be a saint, but modifying his behaviour may well do both the club and himself a favour. Reading this post, he seems to act the same way with his players...it's a shame he can't seem to use constructive criticsm rather than rants.

He could say "we were very poor' and then keep the other stuff behind locked doors .

Virtually naming and shaming individual players will make those very same players not be willing to run through brick walls for the gaffer.

He did say collectively about crosses from the right. We were poor closing down the space like their first goal, same as Gillingham and Swindon's first. As we know this opens the door for all of you with your personal agendas....Good lets blame White because I said at the start of the season he was no good and so far he has proved me wrong and then Blame Brown for blaming White even if he didn't because I said we would get relegated and again I've been proved wrong.

What I would have like to hear him say is that Coker and Worrall are going to watch a DVD of those EARLY crosses on a continual loop for the whole journey home.

I think that the club would do well to part company with Phil Brown. He's not done a bad job, but does the club [and his team] no favours with his constant rants and jibes at match officials. I live in Scotland and have been involved in the game at a number of levels for years. I mainly get to see Southend when they play north of Crewe...regardless of how well the team are playing, the manager seems to take every opportunity to point out the shortcomings of the ref and linesman [I always thought that was the fans job].
I honestly believe that his rants result in the fact that Southend don't win many appeals for borderline fouls or some stonewall penalties. I wouldn't expect the guy to be a saint, but modifying his behaviour may well do both the club and himself a favour. Reading this post, he seems to act the same way with his players...it's a shame he can't seem to use constructive criticsm rather than rants.

Agree with you he does himself no favours with the fourth official. I dare say his name is mentioned as they are getting changed before the game.

He did say collectively about crosses from the right. We were poor closing down the space like their first goal, same as Gillingham and Swindon's first. As we know this opens the door for all of you with your personal agendas....Good lets blame White because I said at the start of the season he was no good and so far he has proved me wrong and then Blame Brown for blaming White even if he didn't because I said we would get relegated and again I've been proved wrong.

What I would have like to hear him say is that Coker and Worrall are going to watch a DVD of those EARLY crosses on a continual loop for the whole journey home.

There is only one person in the entire world who can change what is going wrong on the pitch!

Would Cowley want the step-up though.

At the moment, he is a PE Teacher at Fitz and probably has a decent life balance, whereas being full time at Southend might change too many things.

He just liked my tweet saying I would 'give him a chance', and subsequently followed me, so I'm taking that as gospel that he wants the Southend job :winking:

Is this a joke?? It must be.
Yes, is often the way that when a club at last has success (promotion) followed by an extremely respectable season in a higher league - that the club gets rid of the manager. After all - who needs success and consolidation when you can miss out on promotion and be relegated??
Absoltuely bonkers comments. In fact - Ridiculous nonsense!

Is this a joke?? It must be.
Yes, is often the way that when a club at last has success (promotion) followed by an extremely respectable season in a higher league - that the club gets rid of the manager. After all - who needs success and consolidation when you can miss out on promotion and be relegated??
Absoltuely bonkers comments. In fact - Ridiculous nonsense!

Of course it's a joke Kevin, glad that you could spot that and appreciate the fact that the manager [as I said] having not done a bad job, represents himself and the club with all officials in such a respectful manner. Now, that's not a joke but it could be irony or sarcasm...you work it out.

He just liked my tweet saying I would 'give him a chance', and subsequently followed me, so I'm taking that as gospel that he wants the Southend job :winking:

LOL. Well that's that sorted then! :smile: :cool:

Back