• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Emmanuel Osadebe and Theo Vassell unable to be registered due to EFL Embargo?

Neither of these two have made the grade yet, not even at L2 level. Assuming they do eventually join, let us hope they vindicate Campbell's faith in them. However, both were summer signings at Macclesfield so he only worked with them for a few weeks and only a couple of league games before he left. This will be his sole responsibility if they succeed or fail.
I don't believe it is - we are getting in who we can afford not who we want...just because we sign a couple of players doesn't mean these were Sols first, second, or third choice...
I really think we need to try and not blame Sol for everything that goes wrong - he has an impossible job (which I believe will continue to be impossible next year and beyond!)
Hopefully next season we can have a realistic idea of what will be deemed as a success...my money is on mid table, but I'll take avoiding relegation (as depressing as that sounds!)

I don't believe it is - we are getting in who we can afford not who we want...just because we sign a couple of players doesn't mean these were Sols first, second, or third choice...
I really think we need to try and not blame Sol for everything that goes wrong - he has an impossible job (which I believe will continue to be impossible next year and beyond!)
Hopefully next season we can have a realistic idea of what will be deemed as a success...my money is on mid table, but I'll take avoiding relegation (as depressing as that sounds!)
Campbell got the Macclesfield job after years out of football and I doubt he has the in depth knowledge of lower league players that an experienced manager at this level would have. Thus he has gone for a couple of players he knows something about albeit to a limited extent. I appreciate his hands are tied on recruitment by the financial mess the club is in but his inexperience and somewhat unusual persona are big obstacles to progress compared to how Sturrock, in even worse circumstances, was able to turn things round.

I wonder what the actual hold up is?

Sol appears frustrated as much as the rest of us. They are two unattached league 2 type players and should be easy to sign.

They are not the type to command big wages.

Seems there has to be more at play, especially as they have been seen in training kit doing their initiation song.

Sol appears frustrated as much as the rest of us. They are two unattached league 2 type players and should be easy to sign.

Seems there has to be more at play, especially as they have been seen in training kit doing their initiation song.
rumour from some is league blocking signings as we have been charged with failing to pay the players

not seen anything official from the league or the club about this, seems strange as it was all over the press about Bolton and Macclesfield

If you read some of the previous posts, it's been said why, although RM has been in deep talks with the players and their agents.

If you read some of the previous posts, it's been said why, although RM has been in deep talks with the players and their agents.

So how is that Bolton missed fixtures, unfulfilled contracts, got docked points and still managed to sign a whole team, yet we can't sign two unattached league 2 players.

rumour from some is league blocking signings as we have been charged with failing to pay the players

not seen anything official from the league or the club about this, seems strange as it was all over the press about Bolton and Macclesfield

It usually comes from the club not the League.

Here's a report about Bolton's embargo

The EFL is reluctant to confirm the existence or the parameters of the embargo – but we have learned the so-called special measures, which include restrictions on salaries, could remain in place for two years after administration.

Yep I see that, but Bolton didnt even have to wait for a window to expire as they signed a lot of players in the summer window and free agents just after if memory is correct. Think that is what confuses people.

So how is that Bolton missed fixtures, unfulfilled contracts, got docked points and still managed to sign a whole team, yet we can't sign two unattached league 2 players.

Because a club at fault can be put under restrictions regarding size of squad and salaries, but these can be lifted at the discretion of the EFL. Ron Martin is in talks with the EFL, reportedly even taking someone from accounts with him.

Because a club at fault can be put under restrictions regarding size of squad and salaries, but these can be lifted at the discretion of the EFL. Ron Martin is in talks with the EFL, reportedly even taking someone from accounts with him.
\

They had 23 registered players Bolton at the time, yes some were youth players, but ten are we not in the same boat there?

The EFL are not clear on these things, some (as have mentioned in the press) accuse them of not being fit for purpose, which is a different discussion completely.

Campbell got the Macclesfield job after years out of football and I doubt he has the in depth knowledge of lower league players that an experienced manager at this level would have. Thus he has gone for a couple of players he knows something about albeit to a limited extent. I appreciate his hands are tied on recruitment by the financial mess the club is in but his inexperience and somewhat unusual persona are big obstacles to progress compared to how Sturrock, in even worse circumstances, was able to turn things round.

You are totally contradicting yourself with those statements.

Not taking away what Sturrock achieved but he did not have to wait until January and then have to spend money to get rid of problem players. He was allowed to sign players and had a bit of time and at least an average budget to do so.

The only way you could compare the two would be in 10 months time.

Last edited:

Purely conjecture on my part, and putting 2+2 together based on recent posts here (EFL regs) and on social media (Osadebe howling signing his squad initiation a song)... contracts have been signed with both players, but we cannot register them until such time as EFL regs permit (e.g. no embargo/restrictions).

The delay could well be Ron having to deal with hard-nosed agents who will screw every penny out of him if they can. Most of the money generated by the football world over the last two decades has gone into players and agents pockets.

You are totally contradicting yourself with those statements.

Not taking away what Sturrock achieved but he did not have to wait until January and then have to spend money to get rid of problem players. He was allowed to sign players and had a bit of time and at least an average budget to do so.

The only way you could compare the two would be in 10 months time.
So what precisely has Campbell achieved in January? If he really doesn't know what is going on inside the club as a manager he should make it his business to find out rather than make increasingly bizarre statements to the media that he knows nothing.

So what precisely has Campbell achieved in January? If he really doesn't know what is going on inside the club as a manager he should make it his business to find out rather than make increasingly bizarre statements to the media that he knows nothing.

I think he knows but feels (or has been told) that it is not his place to say.
There is a letter in today's Echo asking whether we are under an embargo.

Last edited:
\

They had 23 registered players Bolton at the time, yes some were youth players, but ten are we not in the same boat there?

The EFL are not clear on these things, some (as have mentioned in the press) accuse them of not being fit for purpose, which is a different discussion completely.
Bolton didn't make any signings until the takeover happened, presumably once the new owners came in the EFL viewed this as sufficient evidence that they'd now be able to pay the players (especially since the fit and proper checks have to be run for new owners anyway) and hence dropped the embargo. Ron is still at Southend and therefore it's a different situation.

Purely conjecture on my part, and putting 2+2 together based on recent posts here (EFL regs) and on social media (Osadebe howling signing his squad initiation a song)... contracts have been signed with both players, but we cannot register them until such time as EFL regs permit (e.g. no embargo/restrictions).

Did he write it himself and autograph it then?

:Moon:

5 points from 4 games - a substantial improvement in results.

And he's done this with a dramatically reduced wage bill and whilst blooding youngsters.

Well done Sol.

Did he write it himself and autograph it then?

:Moon:

I think the suggestion was that he signed it as he's tone deaf.

Back