• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn”t “anti Campbell “
But I was anti:
A manager that alienates players
A manager that clearly isn’t singing from the same hymn sheet as the chairman
A manager that doesn’t do anything to get the average fan on board , that doesn’t appear to want to build a rapport with the fans.
A manager That hasn’t ( in my opinion) done anything on the pitch to impress me ( he got us fit- so what, hardly difficult, he played the kids- he had no choice- he got rid of the bad apples-big deal, again hardly difficult.
was any manager going to be in a really difficult situation- of course they were, and they knew that when walking into the job. And if they didn’t realise then frankly they aren’t really bright.
I couldn’t care less how much money they had, it’s totally irrelevant, and just to prove the point the most successful manager in English football was a multi millionaire and had a clause that he had to earn more than any of his players.

I wouldn’t want any manager that had the above Qualities , be their name Sol, Kevin,Adam ,Steve or graham or anyone else you care to mention

Sol leaving this week was frankly about as surprising as the sun coming up in the morning ( I was going to say as likely as night follows day, but some would manage to twist that into something it wasn’t).

Supporting your local small team is always a rollercoaster . This is the end of one chapter in our history and with that brings Opportunities and hope for the future.
let’s hope the next chapter is more positive.

The reality is though this is the most turbulent and unusual season post war in football. Personally I think we were down already when he came on board, the start of the season was unrecoverable to me. Would he have been any good outside of this pandemic, with a team that wanted to play that stood a fighting chance, the jury is out either way.

Saw rumours earlier about Brown coming back which, if true, will just be the continuation of this relentless banter era of supporting SUFC.

I think now is the time for AB. We need someone who loves the club and will get the players and fans back onside. An AB, King Kev combo would be the stuff of wet dreams.

Both with little or no managerial/coaching experience what could possibly go wrong!!!

A wet dream or maybe an embarrassing moment when you wake up and realise the mess you're in?

Both with little or no managerial/coaching experience what could possibly go wrong!!!

A wet dream or maybe an embarrassing moment when you wake up and realise the mess you're in?
Plenty of very experienced managers fail too. Barrett for the drive, and an experienced chap for the know how feels right to me.

Manager: Adam Barrett
Assistant: Steve Tilson
Coach: Kevin Maher
Fitness coach: Scott Houghton
Goalkeeper coach: Tesfaye Bramble
Director of Football: Glenn Pennyfather
Kit-man: Mark Bentley
Physio: Phil Brown
Ground staff: Chris Powell, Che Wilson and Jim Stannard

Dream team
Isn't Tes doing time still?

I think that embarrassing moment when you realise the mess you are in is happening already, not because we appoint someone who is a club legend.

Let's not forget, King Kev has just passed his UEFA Pro licence and is a first team coach of a side in a higher division than we are. Adam Barrett has been a first team coach, caretaker manager and I believe is now assistant manager (?) at a side two divisions above us, pushing for a playoff spot.

I'd take either of those over a journey man, so called experienced manager who is just onto another job. This current job is about more than experience, it's about reuniting a football club that has been shot to pieces over the last 18-24 months.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Lowe
The man had no experience but was a Bury legend. He won promotion with a side that were not getting paid, moved to another club who had just be relegated and got them back up.

That's 2 promotions in his only 2 seasons as a manager, BUT he wasn't experienced.

Last edited:
I think that embarrassing moment when you realise the mess you are in is happening already, not because we appoint someone who is a club legend.

Let's not forget, King Kev has just passed his UEFA Pro licence and is a first team coach of a side in a higher division than we are. Adam Barrett has been a first team coach, caretaker manager and I believe is now assistant manager (?) at a side two divisions above us, pushing for a playoff spot.

I'd take either of those over a journey man, so called experienced manager who is just onto another job. This current job is about more than experience, it's about reuniting a football club that has been shot to pieces over the last 18-24 months.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Lowe
The man had no experience but was a Bury legend. He won promotion with a side that were not getting paid, moved to another club who had just be relegated and got them back up.

That's 2 promotions in his only 2 seasons as a manager, BUT he wasn't experienced.
There are always exceptions and you hope you get that when you appoint an inexperienced manager, but that isnt (and mostly isnt) alwaways the case.

Fear easier being inexperienced and coming in at Real Madrid, Barcelona Ethan’s all, far different case down the leagues at clubs like us. Ryan Lowe has done well and talks well too

Good luck Sol, Herman, and Mr Colbert.

I look forward to following your future career with interest and best wishes.

Cheers !

I'm guessing it's a source of frustration to play at the top level, and then manage at its lowest in terms of preparation and finance.
Others with better memories will know of England internationals who cut it as a manager in Leagues 1 and 2 - or their past equivalent.
I can't think of any - unless you count CP at Charlton.
That England 66 squad:
Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst and Nobby Stiles? No good as managers.
Jackie Charlton always had decent clubs to manage, and only Alan Ball got his hands dirty in the lower reaches. So, one out of 11.
It's a long-winded way of saying Sol never seemed a good fit at Blues, even with the decent argument put forward by Kiwi Rob.

Ron Flowers was another one.

also- other Englans players who've managed lower down and had some success:
Paul Ince
Emlyn Hughes
Glenn Hoddle
Phil Neal
Mark Wright

Im sure there's plenty more.

Ron Flowers was another one.

also- other Englans players who've managed lower down and had some success:
Paul Ince
Emlyn Hughes
Glenn Hoddle
Phil Neal
Mark Wright

Im sure there's plenty more.
Sorry...
but Hoddle never lower than second tier.
Ince had a decent first spell at MK Dons, but failed to replicate that anywhere else.
In his second spell with MKD, he lost nine in a row!
Neal: one promotion from League Two with Bolton - a club that should have been never there in the first place. A bit like now, maybe?
Hughes: like Hoddle, never lower than second tier, and screwed up royally at Rotherham.
Wright: a checkered career of arguments and minor success with Chester by getting them back in the league from the Conference.
I think we'll have to think of others who have made a career of success in Leagues 1 and 2: that's the criteria.

Sorry...
but Hoddle never lower than second tier.
Ince had a decent first spell at MK Dons, but failed to replicate that anywhere else.
In his second spell with MKD, he lost nine in a row!
Neal: one promotion from League Two with Bolton - a club that should have been never there in the first place. A bit like now, maybe?
Hughes: like Hoddle, never lower than second tier, and screwed up royally at Rotherham.
Wright: a checkered career of arguments and minor success with Chester by getting them back in the league from the Conference.
I think we'll have to think of others who have made a career of success in Leagues 1 and 2: that's the criteria.
Nigel Clough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back