• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
FL didnt just walk into a job in the championship, while at Chelsea he did his badges and also spent time coaching in the academy, when he was at City he spent time with the academy and also spent time coaching while at NY red bulls. Not in an official capacity but to learn from other coaches, as Jose and SIr Alex advised him too. He also went to other clubs to observe training to again to garner information on how people coach and deal with issues.

Then the Derby chairman had to be persuaded to interview him, if that had not happened he would not have got the job, so for someone to walk say he walked into a job is wrong (I know you didn't i was just saying)

I agree, I was just challenging the previous persons statement saying loads of Sol's fellow england colleagues walked straight into prem jobs and I couldn't of any. The only one is Frank who, like you've said, did a year at Derby first anyway.

I originally said that I felt Sol seems to think he should automatically be given a big job and has a chip on his shoulder that it hasn't been really easy for him thus far.

Even before being our manager, he always had a chip on his shoulder. Remember the famous quote that said about he would of been England captain if he wasn't black even though at the time he was playing Paul Ince was captain. So his argument lost all credibility instantly.

He never seems to know that much. Even when he was a pundit for the Arsenal game recently, he was literally winging it. Whenever he was asked his thoughts he gave the most generic responses possible.

Reactions: GBJ
Our current decline started when fans couldn’t see that getting promoted on a relatively low budget under PB was a good achievement. Then finishing 7th in L1 was as not a failure as many claimed....

Spot on, this. As ever, many fans got ahead of themselves - 7th wasn't good enough and the club should bankrupt itself further by signing even more players it couldn't afford. Try to balance the books and remain in the division? No - chuck some money at it and go after promotion.

Maybe, but he's proven himself to be rather good, hasn't he? Unlike Sol
However he's turned in the long term it was very controversial that Southgate was allowed to take the job as he didn't have the required coaching qualifications the premier league requires. The club somehow convinced the premier league that because he was an international player he didn't have time to do his coaching qualifications so an exception should be made for him. Southgate by his own admission has said in hindsight he wasn't ready to manage a premier league club, which is partly why he took the England U21s job rather than trying to find another first team role when he eventually finished his badges.

I agree, I was just challenging the previous persons statement saying loads of Sol's fellow england colleagues walked straight into prem jobs and I couldn't of any. The only one is Frank who, like you've said, did a year at Derby first anyway.

I'm sure Campbell would have bitten your hand off for an opportunity like Derby and Lampard wasn't his only England team mate to walk into a plum job - Southgate at Boro, Gerrard at Rangers, Pearce at Forest, Platt at Sampdoria and then Forest, Barmby at Hull, Phil Neville England women, Gary Neville England assistant and Valencia, Shearer at Newcastle, Dennis Wise Millwall. All infinitely better resourced, more prominent than Macclesfield. All given that opportunity with little to no experience and often lacking the requisite coaching badges.

The only England team mates I can think of who started lower than the Championship were Tony Adams at Wycombe, Teddy Sheringham at Stevenage, Chris Powell at Charlton and Paul Ince at MK Dons.

I originally said that I felt Sol seems to think he should automatically be given a big job and has a chip on his shoulder that it hasn't been really easy for him thus far.

Even before being our manager, he always had a chip on his shoulder. Remember the famous quote that said about he would of been England captain if he wasn't black even though at the time he was playing Paul Ince was captain. So his argument lost all credibility instantly.

He never seems to know that much. Even when he was a pundit for the Arsenal game recently, he was literally winging it. Whenever he was asked his thoughts he gave the most generic responses possible.

On post 131 in this thread I did come up with some other examples from Sol's era. However, while I'm not comfortable with the 'chip on the shoulder' characterisation, I agree that Sol might not be the genius he likes to present himself as.

I'm sure Campbell would have bitten your hand off for an opportunity like Derby and Lampard wasn't his only England team mate to walk into a plum job - Southgate at Boro, Gerrard at Rangers, Pearce at Forest, Platt at Sampdoria and then Forest, Barmby at Hull, Phil Neville England women, Gary Neville England assistant and Valencia, Shearer at Newcastle, Dennis Wise Millwall. All infinitely better resourced, more prominent than Macclesfield. All given that opportunity with little to no experience and often lacking the requisite coaching badges.

The only England team mates I can think of who started lower than the Championship were Tony Adams at Wycombe, Teddy Sheringham at Stevenage, Chris Powell at Charlton and Paul Ince at MK Dons.

Agree with the general theme but I question your list of so called plum jobs....Have you worked in recruitment by any chance?

Agree with the general theme but I question your list of so called plum jobs....Have you worked in recruitment by any chance?

They're plum compared to Macclesfield adrift at the bottom of the football league!

This has been discussed before. All of those players did their coaching badges whilst still playing. Sol did not so the argument is totally irrelevant.

It’s a case of jobs for the boys, no?

Hardly surprising that Southgate got the Boro job, considering he’d played over 500 games for them.

Gerrard began his career by coaching the Liverpool yoof.

Pearce was a Forest hero.

Shearer is still a Geordie god.

Both Neville’s coached the Man Utd yoofs.

Nick Barmby is from Hull, and played for 8-years before retiring there.

The only difference I see between those lot and Sol, is that A) they moved into the coaching roles almost immediately, whereas Sol took 5-years after retiring before moving into coaching, and B), that fact that they were one of the boys, with their respective clubs.

It’s the same reason most people want Barrett or Maher to take over the reigns at Roots Hall now, isn’t it? Or why the likes of Roy McDonagh & Peter Butler have been mentioned?

In fact, if we did hire AB now for example, that would be another job which a BAME candidate didn’t get, further enforcing the idea that they get the short end of the proverbial stick.

I’d suggest that a large majority of our fans would agree that BAME candidates should be better represented, but very few of them would be willing to turn AB away.

And before I’m accused of some racial bias, remember I have been saying that Craig Fagan - a black man with very little connection to Southend - should get the job.

I like this picture ... Andy Cole is not in it ... Are you aware of Andys health problems ...?

Been a lot of ignorance on this forum..

Only Sol is in the picture?

yes well aware of Andy Cole’s problems. I’m a big fan of his. Was just wondering why you thanked the others and not him?

Only Sol is in the picture?

yes well aware of Andy Cole’s problems. I’m a big fan of his. Was just wondering why you thanked the others and not him?

I guess cos he was only part time .. there are actually loads of pictures of Sol managing SUFC and he was always extremely active and engaged during the games ...

Obviously Sol had clear plans for defending at corners etc. and got a really good shape into the team.

I guess the real decider about him staying was the financial side - on a pure footballing judgement I think he did really well.

I get really depressed reading the rubbish in here ..

It’s a case of jobs for the boys, no?

Hardly surprising that Southgate got the Boro job, considering he’d played over 500 games for them.

Gerrard began his career by coaching the Liverpool yoof.

Pearce was a Forest hero.

Shearer is still a Geordie god.

Both Neville’s coached the Man Utd yoofs.

Nick Barmby is from Hull, and played for 8-years before retiring there.

The only difference I see between those lot and Sol, is that A) they moved into the coaching roles almost immediately, whereas Sol took 5-years after retiring before moving into coaching, and B), that fact that they were one of the boys, with their respective clubs.

It’s the same reason most people want Barrett or Maher to take over the reigns at Roots Hall now, isn’t it? Or why the likes of Roy McDonagh & Peter Butler have been mentioned?

In fact, if we did hire AB now for example, that would be another job which a BAME candidate didn’t get, further enforcing the idea that they get the short end of the proverbial stick.

I’d suggest that a large majority of our fans would agree that BAME candidates should be better represented, but very few of them would be willing to turn AB away.

And before I’m accused of some racial bias, remember I have been saying that Craig Fagan - a black man with very little connection to Southend - should get the job.

Gerrard played zero games for Rangers.

Dennis Wise was a Chelsea legend and was given the Millwall job.

Phil Neville obviously never played for England Women and certainly wasn't a legend for the men's team.

Platt played 55 times for Sampdoria.

The others are jobs for the boys but the issue there is that the boys are only ever seem to be white. It's like how we only ever sung "he's one of our own" about Nathan Bishop but never about say Dru Yearwood or Elvis Bwomono.

How come the likes of Roy McDonough and Peter Butler are mentioned but not say Ian Benjamin or Keith Jones?

If a large majority of our fans agree that BAME candidates should be better represented that suggests that they agree that there is a systemic issue in football and that often the best candidates aren't getting the opportunities so why is there so much objection whenever people point this out?

This has been discussed before. All of those players did their coaching badges whilst still playing. Sol did not so the argument is totally irrelevant.

Southgate didn't. Just saying.

"His appointment drew controversy as he did not have the required coaching qualifications to manage a top-flight club. He was allowed to stay on as manager, however, by the Premier League in November 2006; Middlesbrough successfully argued that, because Southgate had recently been an international player, he had no opportunity to undertake the coaching courses. He did go on to complete his coaching qualifications."

Lots of moans about Sol not contacting the players, reason for that was he was leaving us, some butt hurt players bitching and all the while Ron is sitting smiling. I too feel sorry for Sol and us, it hasnt worked out, he turned that team around, bloody great seeing the kids play and the fans get behind them. I see a lot of bitch comments on here from gossip mongers, but these people wont recognise what good he has done in giving our kids experience in L1 to carry into L2, which of course was inevitable from November. Or maybe we would have enjoyed seeing Cox run up his own arse in circles trying to look good, knowing he was off in Jan/Feb when ever it was. Some of the effort levels of the kids were off the scale, to compete in L1 and actually start getting results, fair play.

I guess cos he was only part time .. there are actually loads of pictures of Sol managing SUFC and he was always extremely active and engaged during the games ...

Obviously Sol had clear plans for defending at corners etc. and got a really good shape into the team.

I guess the real decider about him staying was the financial side - on a pure footballing judgement I think he did really well.

I get really depressed reading the rubbish in here ..
I am really struggling to decide if you are on a wind up here or not?

Gerrard played zero games for Rangers.

And it wasn’t his first coaching job either, as you know.

Dennis Wise was a Chelsea legend and was given the Millwall job.

Dennis Wise signed with Millwall as player manager. He fit the bill, because he was an angry little thug.

Phil Neville obviously never played for England Women and certainly wasn't a legend for the men's team.

I believe his first job interview was for the Everton job, in which he got rejected in favour of a BAME candidate.

Platt played 55 times for Sampdoria.

Bloody foreigners taking all the good Italian jobs.

The others are jobs for the boys but the issue there is that the boys are only ever seem to be white.

Aha, that’s why Ashley Cole walked into his coaching role at Chelsea this season, the same as Patrick Viera did at Man City?

You think they were hired for their skin colour? Of the fact of who they were?

And let’s not forget there are plenty of BAME representatives who don’t fancy management althoghter and go into punditry... Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, John Salako, Don Goodman, Matt Murray, Chris Kamara, Jermaine Jenas, Clinton Morrison, Patrice Evra, Garth Crooks, Rio Ferdinand, Mark Bright, Trevor Sinclair, Michah Richards, John Barnes, Dion Dublin, Alex Scott, Joleon Lescott, Leroy Rosenior, Liam Rosenior, Robbie Earle, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Les Ferdinand.

It's like how we only ever sung "he's one of our own" about Nathan Bishop but never about say Dru Yearwood or Elvis Bwomono.

You’re reaching

How come the likes of Roy McDonough and Peter Butler are mentioned but not say Ian Benjamin or Keith Jones?

Probably because those two have put their name in the spotlight, whilst Benji & Jones, have not?

I’m sure if they threw their hat into the ring, our fans would welcome them, but essentially - as with Roy & Butler - they wouldn’t be chosen above AB.

If a large majority of our fans agree that BAME candidates should be better represented that suggests that they agree that there is a systemic issue in football and that often the best candidates aren't getting the opportunities so why is there so much objection whenever people point this out?

It’s not an objection, it’s called perspective. That’s the sole reason I asked how many of us who demand equality, would turn away AB!?

We’re essentially part of the problem by suggesting that AB gets the gig over anyone else, simply because he’s Southend through and through.

That’s perspective. We all want and believe in equality, but we’re willing to suspend those beliefs, to allow one of the boys to get the top job.

Last edited:
Well I didn't see that coming and hopefully it won't have cost very much at all, if anything. Ron I am sure will be looking at all options.

Not sure, who I would like to see, Brown for me a big no thanks. Adam, can't see him leaving Millwall at present. How about Tilly with Craig Fagan and Mark Bentley as assistants.

Mind I would have Chris Powelll back in a flash, he was hard done by, plus he would be brilliant with the youngsters.
I quite agree - CP very hard done by indeed & he should never have been let go. Would love to see him back.

I am really struggling to decide if you are on a wind up here or not?

No .. straight up - thought he did a better than decent job and think all the snide stuff on here is bollox ..

He certainly knew how to get players fit - motivated and playing in a good shape.

He cleaned out a toxic dressing room and has left SUFC with a players wage bill that is about 1.2 million lighter..

He never slagged the club or chairman .. and did not sue SUFC for his money.

Obviously blanked the local journo who then ran a pathetic "he does not communicate" story about 5 times ..

A few miserable types on here did not like his hat ... and had a problem with a really successful footballer in the building ..

Anyway hes gone - so best of luck to him - I hope he does really well elsewhere.

I think poor old Chris Powell buckled under the pressure, not the man for us to be honest, great when we were flying like that night at home to Scunny was it? Brilliant. But when its all going wrong he couldnt handle it and not many can. Look at Tilly, came in and cheered the place up, found a fantastic goalscorer, superb defensive pairings with Barrett, Prior and the likes, showed faith with the great technical abilities of Gower and Maher (who were not much loved back in L2) and just kept on winning games. Then after Championship relegation, still flirted with the playoffs in L1, some excellent loans with Hal RK, Mark Noble, all the while dealing with a wannabe chairman that loved to do a Delia Smith at half time. In the end Ron just refused to pay the dough and Tilly gave up !

Lots of moans about Sol not contacting the players, reason for that was he was leaving us, some butt hurt players bitching and all the while Ron is sitting smiling. I too feel sorry for Sol and us, it hasnt worked out, he turned that team around, bloody great seeing the kids play and the fans get behind them. I see a lot of bitch comments on here from gossip mongers, but these people wont recognise what good he has done in giving our kids experience in L1 to carry into L2, which of course was inevitable from November. Or maybe we would have enjoyed seeing Cox run up his own arse in circles trying to look good, knowing he was off in Jan/Feb when ever it was. Some of the effort levels of the kids were off the scale, to compete in L1 and actually start getting results, fair play.

You understand that those butt hurt bitching players just happen to be the exact same players that you go on to praise?

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back