• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory is vague, but didn’t he almost take Northampton down to the Conference?
No, he got Northampton on a winning runs before they start losing at the wrong time and got relegated from League 1 & got sacked in May.

And it wasn’t his first coaching job either, as you know.

Dennis Wise signed with Millwall as player manager. He fit the bill, because he was an angry little thug.

I believe his first job interview was for the Everton job, in which he got rejected in favour of a BAME candidate.

Bloody foreigners taking all the good Italian jobs.

Aha, that’s why Ashley Cole walked into his coaching role at Chelsea this season, the same as Patrick Viera did at Man City?

You think they were hired for their skin colour? Of the fact of who they were?

And let’s not forget there are plenty of BAME representatives who don’t fancy management althoghter and go into punditry... Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, John Salako, Don Goodman, Matt Murray, Chris Kamara, Jermaine Jenas, Clinton Morrison, Patrice Evra, Garth Crooks, Rio Ferdinand, Mark Bright, Trevor Sinclair, Michah Richards, John Barnes, Dion Dublin, Alex Scott, Joleon Lescott, Leroy Rosenior, Liam Rosenior, Robbie Earle, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Les Ferdinand.

You’re reaching

Probably because those two have put their name in the spotlight, whilst Benji & Jones, have not?

I’m sure if they threw their hat into the ring, our fans would welcome them, but essentially - as with Roy & Butler - they wouldn’t be chosen above AB.

It’s not an objection, it’s called perspective. That’s the sole reason I asked how many of us who demand equality, would turn away AB!?

We’re essentially part of the problem by suggesting that AB gets the gig over anyone else, simply because he’s Southend through and through.

That’s perspective. We all want and believe in equality, but we’re willing to suspend those beliefs, to allow one of the boys to get the top job.

Much as I'd like AB to get the job as our next manager in L2 I don't think it will happen somehow.

We have a thread running on a new manager, this belongs there but maybe you missed my last post Barna?

I was referring to a specific point which GBJ made in his post about AB-see above- (which I highlighted).Feel free to move my post if you like.

(I don't really care about SC's posts on social media or anything else about him really.Just glad he's gone).

Last edited:
Not sure how this thread has turned into a discussion of race. Sol is renowned for being a very odd/difficult character that all top clubs will know far better than clubs like ours. I am lucky enough to have been in the youth system for many years as a youngster and as a result know the boys breaking into the first team now. Out of interest, I have spoken with some of them about how Sol was around the training ground and whilst they say that he is a good coach, lets just say his people skills need some serious work.

Is it just because they were different times and social media didn’t show up people’s personalities, but I don’t remember Sol being classed as “odd” or “quirky” during his glory days at Arsenal? Did he hit a midlife crisis when he retired or something?

I thinks fair to say he had previous

Is it just because they were different times and social media didn’t show up people’s personalities, but I don’t remember Sol being classed as “odd” or “quirky” during his glory days at Arsenal? Did he hit a midlife crisis when he retired or something?

Fair point. But he did struggle in the latter days of his playing career and post career (didn't he disappear at half time for Arsenal once?). The move into the world of the Conservative party is unusual for a footballer (and especially a black kid from Plaistow) and that didn't seem to work out for him. He did that Notts County thing with Sven as well, which was always doomed. He was followed around by rumours concerning his sexuality too, which more than anything is evidence that some people have it in for him. I think with Sol it's always been a mix of getting a bad press/ having made enemies (it all started after leaving Spurs for Arsenal) and genuinely making some strange choices and not trusting people or trusting the wrong people. Anyway, it's all over for him at Southend now. Doubt he is too distraught about that. We all move on.

Last edited:
He was our man, but not long though,
Ex Shrimpers now, so off you go. bro!

Contrived or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back