• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting quote from Fulham captain Tom Carney when talking about his manager Scott Parker.
"He is a young manager in the same group as Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Sol Campbell. I hope the country can use them going forward" LOL!

Reactions: GBJ
The infrastructure is the more telling element I think personally

You have a point, and in fairness absolutely none of that was Sol’s fault.

However, there are numerous things Sol did wrong, which were nothing to do with how how this club is set up. That is the reason he’s not here anymore.

There is a very long article in the Times today- extract

He left Macclesfield in August last year, hopeful of securing something more stable. He went for jobs with Hull City and Lincoln City, among others. No joy.

By October Southend came calling. It was another basket case of a club, in serious financial difficulty, but another opportunity to continue developing his skills, this time in League One.

The team were in a mess. Before taking charge of his first game he watched them lose 7-1 to Doncaster Rovers. His first result was a 3-1 defeat at home by Ipswich Town. In January there was no money to sign players. Instead he was forced to hand debuts to nine academy players, aged between 17 and 19. “In a man’s league,” Campbell says.

When the season was called to a sudden halt because of the pandemic, they were second from bottom. But in 23 games he did secure four wins and five draws, with a 3-1 win against Bristol Rovers in the last encounter before lockdown. He was praised for a significant improvement in performances. “We were turning things around,” he says.

The decision not to resume the League One and Two campaigns meant Southend were relegated, and Campbell chose to move on. “It was a difficult situation, but I’m better for it,” he says.

In January there was no money to sign players. Instead he was forced to hand debuts to nine academy players, aged between 17 and 19. “In a man’s league,” Campbell says.

Just not true.

he chose to field many young player instead of using some more experienced players.

But that didn’t fit his agenda and he hung several players out to dry who weren’t ready in favour of more experienced players.

all along I felt he was lining up his excuses using these players not using them to try and aid their development or out of complete necessity.

While his off-the-field behaviour was unacceptable, I fail to see what was wrong with his statement.

He had his hands tied back from the first minute, was forced to sell our best player, allegedly didn't have the resources available to maximise fitness regimes or continue them, and was unable to sign players even when he 'signed' two promising additions to the squad.

We would still have gone down, no doubt about that, but if he was able to sign the six players he had targeted we would certainly be in a much better place than we are now and could build a squad that could at the very least stabilise before having a shot at promotion the following season.

I know he wasn't planning to use the kids but some of the youngsters look very, very promising to me and the wins against Lincoln and Bristol Rovers were no flukes and brought smiles to people's faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back