• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 Leeds United 0

I thought that was the most entertaining match I've seen Southend in for a couple of years. Really could have ended up any score considering how many chances both sides had. They threw everything at it. We threw everything at it.

Leeds were the best side I'd seen us against this season but we matched them completely.

On Laurent, I believe he signed a two year contract.

Marvellous hardworking performance from the whole team tonight.

I'm giving a blank 8 to all bar Revs who gets a 9 for a totally committed and determined performance.

UTB More of the same for the rest of the season and we could be a happy load of bunnies!

i thought sawyer had an average game and looked jaded for me,we cannot expect this young lad to compete every game against decent oppo.

Im the biggest critic of our defence,but tonight we held firm. Well done Barrett and Clarke.
My initial thought was he had a bit of cramp. No signs of injury during the game? Hope he is fine for Saturday :)

Well the team was fantastic tonight, makes you wonder why they can't always play near enough at that standard, but oh well thats football.

Great goalkeeping yet again, fantastic saves all night. Defence were immense tonight, nothing was going to get passed them, Barrett and Clarke - A big well done! Brilliant performance! Harding was fantastic tonight, well deserved sublime goal and hope there is more to come.

Although so people may think that Francis was laid back and weak in defence, it was definitely his best performance this season imo. If he played like that in most games, there wouldn't be any criticism towards him at all.

Wingers gave good service into the box tonight, and Sawyer covered every blade of grass and topped the performance with some nice skills. Christophe was very strong, not to much was getting passed him, he laid the ball off well.

The strikers today were something else - Revs gave the performance of a life time, he will be raring to go against Col Ewe, and as for Laurent, if he is fit he is a must start for saturday. Great player and the four strikers gives Tilson one of the best choice of front two in league one and maybe even the football league!

play up southend

tonight was awesome.showed that leeds aren't a big side anymore. tonight i feel so proud to be a fan of sufc. COME ON BOYS. TAKE IT IN TO THE WEEKENDS GAME.

UTB

Agree with all the above.

But I would add Laurent to that list, what a talent he is, a fantastic touch, pacy, strong and willing to run and run. We need to sign him up for longer than 1 year as clubs will be sniffing around him already. A very shrewd signing from Tilly and even better that he was a freebie!

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Leeds themselves try and prize him and a couple of others in January. Bet they'd like to have Harding back.

Brilliant game tonight, best we've played all season.

Laurent was outstanding and looks a great prospect, he'll become a cult hero.

Best i've seen Revell play as well.

Proud to be a Shrimper, bring on the ewe's

So nice to see a rare positive post from you Tony. Well done.

Loving reading this thread, sounds like a great night at Roots Hall. However also feeling a bit sad that I wasn't there to experience it myself. On nights like that is when the old ground really comes alive and I bet it was a cracking atmosphere. However one of the Queensland Roar forums has a few Weeds fans on it so I'm having some fun there!

Come On Southend!

Indeed it was a fantastic performance and a very entertaining game. I know there's a lot of criticism of Franno, but I thought he looked a lot better than he has of late - my only real criticism was that he allowed Beckford a bit too much room when wide. Federici looked back to the form he showed in his first few games, the rest of the defence I thought had a marvellous game, and absolutely delighted for Harding getting such a sweet goal after the troubles he's just been through. Midfield worked as a cohesive unit, supporting each other tirelessly, and Rev and Laurent were just amazing and really worked quite well together. They certainly ran the Leeds defence ragged, they didn't know what to make of Laurent! It was like "Who the **** is this guy?! No-one told us about him!"

I'd go along with Laurent as MOM, but really, Rev, Christophe and Harding were all up there too as contenders.

Didn't like Leeds' tactics, thought Beckford stood out though and played fairly unlike his strike partner - fair play to the ref for his yellow for Becchio. Crap lino on the west AGAIN, and one we're familiar with.

Final comment - yes, some Leeds supporters are total ***** (throwing a coin at Fed), but I was very impressed with their support of the goalie in the half time shoot out, and the Deaneswood players as they ran round to take their applause.

Well the team was fantastic tonight, makes you wonder why they can't always play near enough at that standard, but oh well thats football..!

Said that leaving the ground last night - I hate the cliche, but if we COULD play like that every week, nobody could live with us.

It was like a lower league Man Utd performance - built on hard work ethic and no lack of skill. With another big game Saturday, you'd expect the same type of performance.

If anyone from ColU was watching that game, their instructions to the players will no doubt be 'slow the game down for the first 20 minutes' - so we have to come out of the blocks firing.

For that reason, even if Barney is fit, I'd start Revell (with Laurent) as the example he sets - chasing, harrying, closing down etc runs through the side and gets the crowd going too.

My ratings:

Federici - 8 - Looked solid all day long, seemed to deal with everything he needed to so well. Class keeper, would love him to stay all season long. I just hope people don't expect miracles from Mildy now, as it would be harsh to compare the two.
Francis - 6 - Still looks nervous to me, a really good player when he gets it right, but is clearly off form. Didn't do too much wrong, but doesn't look anything like the Francis of the second half of last season.
Barrett - 7 - Did everything he needed to in defence, borderline 7/8, kept the two class acts of Becchio and Beckford at bay all game.
Clarke - 7 - Same as Barrett.
Harding - 9 - What a class player he is. Forgetting his goal, he's so solid at the back. He never dives in and seems to know exactly how to defend. I really hope we can sign this lad. Not a bad goal either.
Betsy - 7 - Not a bad performance from Kevin, his usual self. He played a good team role, but isn't a winger to strike fear into the opponents defence.
Sawyer - 8 - At times ran the show in the middle, but wasn't quite up to his normal performance, which I feel was due to the superior opposition. Clearly a class act, hopefully he'll sign on one day.
Cristophe - 7 - Solid performance in the middle, just what was asked of him.
Revell - 8 - Chased everything, won lots in the air which nearly always went to Laurent. You can't help but love him.
MOM Laurent - 9 - What can you say. The turn this lad has is Henry like. I don't care if he runs like a chicken, he's put in a great performance today. Eager to see how he does against Colchester.

Back