• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

- The 'Bunkers' at Friars Park - it was our Wembley Stadium, Lords, Giants Stadium, Brands Hatch and loads of other sports venues all rolled into one
- Thinking we were brave by walking into the Farmers Field next to Friars Park before it was harvested (the crop grew taller than us) but in reality everyone bricking it everytime we heard a noise because someone said the farmer patrolled round with his gun looking out for kids
- The ice cream van at Shoebury School - grab a Mars bar and can of Coke for lunch so you didn't miss any football playing time (Jamie Oliver? who?)
- Getting muddy playing lunchtime football, waiting for the mud to dry on your school trousers and attempting to scrape the mud off with your ruler!
- Test Match Cricket and Subbuteo leagues during the holidays, with proper fixtures and league tables drawn up, cup draws and mini trophies
- Standing on the West Bank at Roots Hall on a Friday night with my Uncle, brother and cousin
- Football manager on the Spectrum
- Got, Got, Got, Got, NNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD! Swapping Panini stickers in the playground
- Our Price records in the High Street
- Hearing the volume on the record player go up a fair few notches when my Mum went out and my Dad making the most of his opportunity to play loud music. It was often The Beatles or The Rolling Stones and I used to love it. He did the same in the car when my Mum wasn't around too.

(1) A handful of Blackjacks for a single penny.
(2) The summer of 76.
(3) Saturday morning cinema.
(4) Heading up the National garage to get the next Smurf with a handful of 1p and ½p coins.
(5) Pacers.
(6) Making tree houses.
(7) Chalkwell Park fair.
(8) Building BMX bikes and then unintentionally destroying them on the jumps over a Chalkwell Park.
(9) The excitement of a video nasty - only to find out it was ****e!
(10) Television - it was fun back then ...

1. Saturday morning cinema at the Regal in Rayleigh
2. Sherbet dabs
3. Building Go-Karts from orange boxes & pram wheels, and then hurtling down Burches Hill Road with no visible means of stopping, apart from friendly oak trees, ouch!!
4. Scrumping
5. Going out in the summer holidays, coming back when you were hungry, and buggering off until bed time.
6. County Cricket at Chalkwell Park - bliss
7. The smells of the old Talza Arcade (Cheeses, Bacon, broken biscuits) - thanks Cricko.:D
8. Bank Holiday Mondays on the seafront, and the threat of an impending riot.
9. Jamboree bags & Flags of the World Bubble Gum
10. Janis Adams, the pangs of first love.:cry:

Comics such as Roy of the Rovers and Warlord (Union Jack Jackson)....

Can't see some characters in ROTR ever being referred to in today's Nanny State (I'm referring to a Mr B. Gray)..

Also miss standing on the terrace at Footy!!!!

Having grown up in the 70s/80s, I am just curious what other shrimpers liked or disliked about their youth! Here are some of mine!

10 Things I liked!

(1) 5p jambori bags!
(2) spud guns!
(3) saturday morning cinema!
(4) Scrumping!
(5) Staying out and playing runouts till the the street lights came on!
(6) lidos!
(7) Going swimming all day only to get out with your eyes stinging with clorene!
(8) Playing footie without any adults joining in!
(9) when something "racial" was only an argument over who had won a race!
(10) The innocence of youth!

10 things I hated about being a kid!

(1) Sharing bath water!
(2) Getting out of the chair to change the tv channel over!
(3) waistband trousers (I still have nightmares)!
(4) cod liver oil!
(5) T.C.P, For some reason it seems (and still does) be the miracle cure for every graze, open wound going...... but it stinged like hell!
(6) Brotherhood of man.....(dont ask)!
(7) Having to go to bed in the middle of summer when it was still daylight out!
(8) My elder brothers annoying habit of sitting on my face and farting!
(9) Parafin heaters that my nan used to own that would burn your retinas out and leave the whole house smelling of thinners! Also outside toilets!
(10) The way my mum would spit on a piece of tissue and then scrub the offending mark from my face like I was a lump of wood going through a belt sander.

I am going to quote on my own thread because..... I am sitting here munching some space dust that fizzies in your gob, happy memories and happy days!

Saturday morning pictures is a good call.

I also miss Rosehill, Parrot Records, waiting for the new Madness record to come out, Airfix, Look-in magazine, watching Anglia on my b&w portable TV that had a dial to tune into the THREE channels available!

So many things.

I even miss the excitement of putting 50 pence pieces into the electric metre! How sad is that?

Oh! And Mr. Freeze.

Not only is the pictures on a Saturday morning a good call - so was the £2 price tag which has now escalated to a ridiculous £7.50ish locally not to mention the popcorn and drinks etc.

My sunday afternoon pictures sessions with my sister.
A trip out to London when living in Barking was considered a treat when I was little.
Proper winter weather, like snow in January/February time.
My BMX.
Shopping every Saturday.

That's all I can think of for now.

1) Push pops
2) Playing kurby in the street (did anyone play that where you have to stand on the kerb and throw the ball and try and bounce it off the opposite kerb and it it bounced back to you then you got a point - you had to have a knack for it)
3) Roces and Bauers skates
4) Packed lunches at school
5) Inflatable fun day at the swimming pools
6) The rope swing (was actually a death trap looking back)
7) Smash hits magazine
8) Merlins Premier Leahue football stickers
9) Spokey dokeys on your bike
10) Christmas - it was always more fun when you were a kid.

Rush and pop goalies
Running riot in West Woods
Aniseed Balls
Catapults
Chopper Bikes
Building Dams
Playing on building sites
Routemaster Buses
Mud Stick fights
Setting insects on fire with magnifying glass.

Those long summer holidays

Those 2 weeks off at Christmas

Those 2 weeks off at Easter

(Familiar trend here).

I also miss:

Playing football on the school field at lunchtime.
Paying 25p for a can of Coke.
Getting pocket money.
The journey home being no more than 10 minutes.

Back