• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Black Jacks, Fruit Salad were 4 an old penny, so much better value pre decimalisation. Agree about Spangles.Getting the Cane by the rather Attractive Headmistress

The last one bothers me a tad Harry..:stunned:

Didn't bother me mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
See now, I wasn't sure about that. I remember Black Jacks and Fruit Salads being 4 a penny just after decimalisation but had a feeling Mojos were cheaper, even possibly to the extent of 8 a penny. I was never as keen on them so didn't buy them.

Remembered something else though - Spangles! Loved those!

Black Jacks, Fruit Salad were 4 an old penny, so much better value pre decimalisation. Agree about Spangles.

OBL is right, fruit salads and black jacks were 4 for an old ha'penny, so 8 a REAL penny once upon a time - about the same time that the bus fare from West Leigh to Thames Drive was a penny (1963...)

I was in Nairn a couple of weeks ago and in a back street I found a newsagent with jars and jars of old favourite sweeties being sold by the quarter (well the 100 grams but not far off). On investigation I located the supplier at

www.highlandcandy.co.uk

I didn't know you could still get some of these sweets, real wallow in nostalgia.

And I miss the machines that sold Bazooka Bubble gum, with an extra packet every (fourth?) turn of the handle.

Power cuts anyone?

Definitely! Remember the timetables you got so you'd know when your power was going off too. Anyone else remember the Humphreys? Watch out, watch out there's a Humphrey about!

humph2.gif

Back to the sweets, if anyone gets the chance to go to Beamish up near Newcastle then make a beeline for the Olde Worlde sweet shop in the Edwardian/Victorian part of the place - it's heaven!

Beamish%20sweet%20shop%20(5).jpg

Power cuts anyone?

Nothing nostalgic about them - living in the Highlands does have a couple of drawbacks, to the extent that when we had this house built we incorporated switches and plugs to allow me to connect the generator for the longer power cuts.

mustard-plug-smiley.jpg

Our local shop in "Stanford" used to have a tab, and my Mum would pay the bill every friday (payday). Can you imagine saying to your local petroll station "Stick it on my tab mate ,I will pay it on friday" Yeah right!

All the old favouries can also be found here.

http://www.bagofsweets.com/

There used to be a sweet shop in Leigh Broadway rather like the Olde Worlde one in OBL's post, I think it closed some years ago.

There's a sweet-shop in Rochford, not far from the Marlborough Head (No idea of the name of the road but the one that goes from the Town square to the station) that offers some oldies. Also if anyone finds themselves in Lincoln I can recommend Goodies, the old-time sweet-shop at near the bottom of Steep Hill. Almost as much of my student loan went on Rhubarb and Custard there as it did in Sonic Sounds, the independent record shop.

Back