• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2) Playing kurby in the street (did anyone play that where you have to stand on the kerb and throw the ball and try and bounce it off the opposite kerb and it it bounced back to you then you got a point - you had to have a knack for it)

I did, I was champion of my street 7 years running.

This is a great nostalgia thread, love it when one is dug up from the vaults that is SO evocative!

Things I miss:
Sunday tea - salmon and cucumber or sandwich spread sandwiches; cakes (battenburg or cherry bakewell) and tea;
Long, hot summer days playing outside from morning till dusk;
Endless school holidays;
Being able to freely ride my bike for miles, with no need for a cycle helmet and not having to worry about your personal safety;
The Double Deckers;
Climbing trees or playing in proper kids' playgrounds at the park - witches' hat and the boat thing;
Being given a bus pass for High School, meant I had unlimited bus trips the whole time I was at school;
The relief buses we used to get on the school routes, which were old Routemasters;
Going on holiday to Cornwall, travelling overnight, with a bed made up for my sister and me in the back of the old cortina estate so we slept the whole way - no seat belts!;
Simply going into the sweetshop with a few pence and coming out with a HUGE bag of sweets (weren't Black Jacks, Mo-Jos and that 4 a penny?).

Things I don't miss:
Being dressed in matching dresses with my younger sister for Sunday best, when all I wanted was to wear trousers all the times - somethings never change!;
The material - as mentioned elsewhere, polyester, nylon, crimplene - I was a bridesmaid once in pink crimplene, God it was awful!
School dinners, and the scary dinner ladies that served them, oh, and having to drink that yucky third of a bottle of milk before you were allowed out to play!

Don't think there's much else really, I was lucky enough to have a happy childhood, and I loved school.

Playing Wembley, Wallie, all the old games in the park. Thinking Teenage Mutant Hero (or Ninja, depending on the censors) Turtles and Power Rangers were the height of cool. And Sports Day, I haven't run an egg and spoon race in years.[/QUOTE

Me and my mates had a few games of wallie on sunday, and all kids still play wembley

Walking on Thundersley Glen before it got turned mostly into houses..:'(

This is a great nostalgia thread, love it when one is dug up from the vaults that is SO evocative!

Things I miss:
Sunday tea - salmon and cucumber or sandwich spread sandwiches; cakes (battenburg or cherry bakewell) and tea;
Long, hot summer days playing outside from morning till dusk;
Endless school holidays;
Being able to freely ride my bike for miles, with no need for a cycle helmet and not having to worry about your personal safety;
The Double Deckers;
Climbing trees or playing in proper kids' playgrounds at the park - witches' hat and the boat thing;
Being given a bus pass for High School, meant I had unlimited bus trips the whole time I was at school;
The relief buses we used to get on the school routes, which were old Routemasters;
Going on holiday to Cornwall, travelling overnight, with a bed made up for my sister and me in the back of the old cortina estate so we slept the whole way - no seat belts!;
Simply going into the sweetshop with a few pence and coming out with a HUGE bag of sweets (weren't Black Jacks, Mo-Jos and that 4 a penny?).

Things I don't miss:
Being dressed in matching dresses with my younger sister for Sunday best, when all I wanted was to wear trousers all the times - somethings never change!;
The material - as mentioned elsewhere, polyester, nylon, crimplene - I was a bridesmaid once in pink crimplene, God it was awful!
School dinners, and the scary dinner ladies that served them, oh, and having to drink that yucky third of a bottle of milk before you were allowed out to play!

Don't think there's much else really, I was lucky enough to have a happy childhood, and I loved school.

I don't remember long hot summers ....only Endless wet Fornights in Wales

Just to add,

Road vs Road football matches up the Green, Class vs Class matches after school

Cheap ex Jukebox 45's in woolies etc so that record you quite liked but would not spend 7/6 on could be acquired a month or so later without having to resort to the mangled version on the next Top Of The Pops cover compilation

The Charts on Tuesday Lunch time whilst having a fag behind the bushes on the School playing field

Cowhorns and Apehangers

Follyfoot (well Dora in particular)

Exactly! If we weren't watching it we were playing it! Like I've said before on here "Scooper" is now in Spooks!

I actually met "Debra Russ (tiger)" a few years ago, very perculiar moment it was. Also if you danced like they did in the intro to the show know, my kids would totally disown me!

I actually met "Debra Russ (tiger)" a few years ago, very perculiar moment it was. Also if you danced like they did in the intro to the show know, my kids would totally disown me!

"Dad dancing" for the very young!

I miss my Grandad for.

His wisdom.
Him lighting his roll up's by the fire with wooden spills.
His garden growing Gooseberries.
His pond and catching Newts as a kid.
Him always having tins of sweets for me and my 3 sisters.
The Ten bob note at birthdays.
His Mash Potato....(never been bettered).
The smell of his house in Bonchurch Avenue.
Sleep overs as a very young kid.
Belfairs with him collecting Golf balls.
The 60 mice he used to keep for us .until he decided enough was enough and used to flush the new ones down the loo.

God I sound like that bloke from the Green Mile.

Hey who cares I miss him.

1) Trading stickers with friends
2) Getting home and putting your new stickers in you album
3) Going to a friends was a massive big deal
4) Class v class football
5) Thinking everything was really good
6) School holidays
7) It was just easy
8) Spending lots of time with my Nan and Grandad

I don't remember long hot summers ....only Endless wet Fornights in Wales

Just to add,

Road vs Road football matches up the Green, Class vs Class matches after school

Cheap ex Jukebox 45's in woolies etc so that record you quite liked but would not spend 7/6 on could be acquired a month or so later without having to resort to the mangled version on the next Top Of The Pops cover compilation

The Charts on Tuesday Lunch time whilst having a fag behind the bushes on the School playing field

Cowhorns and Apehangers

Follyfoot (well Dora in particular)

What about white dog poo?

What about white dog poo?

LOL! I remember white dog poo, it had a habit of looking like little white stones, and I remember friends (who had a cocker spaniel) picking it up when we were round their house and chasing us round the garden with it!

Is there still white dog poo about or was it something dogs were eating back then that caused it?!

I miss my mum coming home from the shops with her trolley, with her headscarf on, and me scooting down from my bedroom to find out if she'd bought me a bag of crisps or some sweets and the latest issue of Roy Of The Rovers and Whizzer And Chips :)

LOL! I remember white dog poo, it had a habit of looking like little white stones, and I remember friends (who had a cocker spaniel) picking it up when we were round their house and chasing us round the garden with it!

Is there still white dog poo about or was it something dogs were eating back then that caused it?!

White dog poo was due to the fact the dog food was bulked up with animal bones, something that's not done anymore.

Back