• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

White dog poo was due to the fact the dog food was bulked up with animal bones, something that's not done anymore.

Seriously? Never knew that.

Oh, and kids these days still play Bulldog BA, at least, if their school allows them to!

Huge slides in the school playground.
Jubbly
Flags of the World Bubble Gun
Corona
5 Park Drive in an envelope
Black Jacks etc 4 for a penny.
Muffin the Mule (which wasn't a sexual deviation)
Watch with Mother
Searching Thundersley Glen pond for all manner of wildlife
Summer Holidays

I only came to realise, after someone helped me out by showing me how, that I've been alot less like myself recently.. and i think i've been acting less and less of a kid..

I feel so lucky that they have let me realise this now, as I wasnt my usual self.. i was worrying about things more, being unhappy about a load of things, letting things get to me and a load of other things that I really can't believe I let myself be like looking back on it now..

It's only been the last month or so I suppose, but it's been, frankly, really really ****!

I don't wana grow up..

Don't you mean "Days when there was no Health and Safety Department to interfere in leisure activities"?

He probably means, "days in which every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't see an accident as a moneymaking opportunity"

The bulk of the "Health and safety" bans which get reported in the media are due to the Liability Insurers of the organisation involved conducting risk assesments in order to keep potential litigation to a minimum, thus reducing the insurance premium.

A kid at my school broke his arm after trying to "tightrope" walk on the back of a bench, he got told by his parents he was a stupid boy and it was all his fault, these days the parents would be onto the school for compensation.

A kid at my school broke his arm after trying to "tightrope" walk on the back of a bench, he got told by his parents he was a stupid boy and it was all his fault, these days the parents would be onto the school for compensation.

Spot on, when I was at school a lad ran down a hall and jump up to try and touch the ceiling. His mistiming was outstanding as he headbutted a fire door frame instead. Split his forehead wide open, he looked like a letterbox.

Taken to hospital, had several stitches and was back at school that afternoon bragging about it. His parents said exactly the same thing, stupid boy.

I miss:

Space invaders

The old south bank at Roots Hall. I grew up up there.

The Kurzaal when it was a real Amusement Park

My paper round

Saving up paper round money to buy first ever replica shirt with 'Charterhouse' as the sponsor, and the excitement when I bought it, gutted when it changed ! Still have it

Six Million Dollar Man

'Crabbing' looking for bait when the tide went out.

Scouring Southend beach looking for money with my metal detector after a weekend / bank holiday. I used to make fortunes which I spent in Wonderland on the front

Lazer 558 - pirate radio station

The adrenalin rush after getting served in Turtle Bay when I was 16

My mohican haircut

- Penny Sweets (when they were actually a penny)

-Proper Snow, over a foot or more deep and everyone just carried on. Our road was a cul-de-sac and would be the last place to be plowed and as it was a dead all the snow would just be pushed up one end in a huge pile which we built forts out of. heady days.

-Doing the league ladders you got in Shoot! magazine, and making up my own leagues and playing the matches in my back garden.

-Going round my Nan & Grandad's (RIP) bungalow in Wickford, they had a massive garden, watching wrestling & rugby on tv with my grandad and eating their fresh veggies they grew out back.

-summer holidays

-my star wars toys & lego

-food: fish fingers (now veggie), angel delight, school dinners (i remember them being great, and when going to McDonald's was a real treat.

-family holidays to norfolk

-1990 world cup, when i was 11, discovering how ace football was and being allowed to stay up to watch the extra time for england's games against belgium and germany.

-my dog Kerry.

Don't you mean "Days when there was no Health and Safety Department to interfere in leisure activities"?

He probably means, "days in which every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't see an accident as a moneymaking opportunity"

The bulk of the "Health and safety" bans which get reported in the media are due to the Liability Insurers of the organisation involved conducting risk assesments in order to keep potential litigation to a minimum, thus reducing the insurance premium.

Indeed I do, it's getting to the point of lunacy - can't even bring in a set of cricket stumps without someone getting worked up.

- Putting out dog food for the hedgehogs and then being allowed to stay up and watch them eat it - always managed to convince Mum to let me do this on the nights Starsky and Hutch was on - double whammy.

- Abseiling out of trees in the park.

- Catching frogs and newts down Churchill gardens or Priory Park.

- Bike jumps in the street or park.

- Hunting slow worms, and feeling like some sort of snake wrangler when you caught one.

- Riding the suicide downhill in a supermarket trolley on the waste ground next to All Saints church.

- Attempting to defy physics by looping the loop on the swings.

- When parks always seemed to have an old traction engine as a climbing frame - swallow diving off the funnel into virgin snow.

- Making a den.

- Digging tunnels in the garden and finding the water table.

Mojo's were 3 for a penny in the old days!!

See now, I wasn't sure about that. I remember Black Jacks and Fruit Salads being 4 a penny just after decimalisation but had a feeling Mojos were cheaper, even possibly to the extent of 8 a penny. I was never as keen on them so didn't buy them.

Remembered something else though - Spangles! Loved those!

See now, I wasn't sure about that. I remember Black Jacks and Fruit Salads being 4 a penny just after decimalisation but had a feeling Mojos were cheaper, even possibly to the extent of 8 a penny. I was never as keen on them so didn't buy them.

Remembered something else though - Spangles! Loved those!

Black Jacks, Fruit Salad were 4 an old penny, so much better value pre decimalisation. Agree about Spangles.

Back