• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I saw him pitch yesterday afternoon and I'm very impressed. The Rockies were able to push a run across while he was in but no one that faced him looked remotely comfortable at the plate. The fact that he doesn't have the greatest command probably helps him a bit as well as it must be a bit frightening knowing that a heater at over 100 MPH could be directed at your head!

I know people here take the mick out of American footballers for all the padding compared to rugby players, but compare baseball to cricket.

ps Beaten on stealing home:stunned: - you must have enjoyed that!

ps Beaten on stealing home:stunned: - you must have enjoyed that!

That was awesome to see, I was stunned when I saw him breaking for home.

Some Rox video and an interesting (and depressing) piece on the Rays in the Baseball Tonight Clubhouse.

I can't understand why so many people lately seem to be down on the Rays. They will likely end up with a win total in the upper 90s, which especially in that division takes a very good team to accomplish. I think they are just over-reacting to a poor outing by Garza. In my opinion a 1-2 of Price and Garza matches up well with any other pitching duo in baseball right now.

I can't understand why so many people lately seem to be down on the Rays. They will likely end up with a win total in the upper 90s, which especially in that division takes a very good team to accomplish. I think they are just over-reacting to a poor outing by Garza. In my opinion a 1-2 of Price and Garza matches up well with any other pitching duo in baseball right now.

I think there's an element of hoping to see them fail, particularly at ESPN who seem to be squarely in the Red Sox corner, even more so than with the Yanks. Bob Ryan commented on Around the Horn that there shouldn't even be a franchise in Tampa Bay, I'm sure that Terry Francona would heartily agree! Garza is infuriating at times because he can he unhittable some days, and decidedly average the next, but he was outstanding in the play-offs in '08 and I expect him to do it again this year. The Rox look quite handily placed with 20 or so games to play, especially with the Padres slumping and the Giants not exactly lighting it up.

I think there's an element of hoping to see them fail, particularly at ESPN who seem to be squarely in the Red Sox corner, even more so than with the Yanks. Bob Ryan commented on Around the Horn that there shouldn't even be a franchise in Tampa Bay, I'm sure that Terry Francona would heartily agree! Garza is infuriating at times because he can he unhittable some days, and decidedly average the next, but he was outstanding in the play-offs in '08 and I expect him to do it again this year. The Rox look quite handily placed with 20 or so games to play, especially with the Padres slumping and the Giants not exactly lighting it up.

The arrogance of Boston fans is getting out of control, I wish they would return to being whiny little babies like they were a decade ago. It especially gets annoying right before a Yankees - Red Sox series when they try to act as if it is the gritty, blue collar Red Sox versus the evil Yankees when in reality the Red Sox and their fans are just a slightly watered down version of the Yankees and their fans. I hadn't heard what Bob Ryan said about Tampa but it doesn't really surprise me as he is just a bitter SOB.

The Rockies have been playing inspired baseball lately, winning 10 in a row to get themselves back into the race. It's somewhat frustrating though as this team has been capable of playing great baseball all season but put themselves in a position to need a run like this just to get back into the playoff picture. They open a three game set with the Padres tomorrow and a series win is pretty much a necessity at this point, especially as they head out on the road at the end of the week where they have been horrible all season (29-42).

Went to my first MLB game on Friday, Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves. Very enjoyable with the Nationals winning 8-3, 2 home runs from Adam Dunn. Such is the nature of the sport that they went and lost 0-5 the following night!!

Went to my first MLB game on Friday, Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves. Very enjoyable with the Nationals winning 8-3, 2 home runs from Adam Dunn. Such is the nature of the sport that they went and lost 0-5 the following night!!

Ha ha, Dunn is sort of the MLB equivalent of Blair Sturrock in the way he polarises fans.

He was despised by many Reds fans, despite putting up 40+ HRs each year, for: his lumbering defense, huge strikeout totals, the number of walks he took, his lack of "clutch hitting" (apparently all the home-runs he hit were when the game was either won or lost), the way "all" his home-runs were solo home-runs (ie with no-one on base) his attitude, his lack of "hustle", his salary, his inability to carry the team.

He can however hit the ball a hell of a long way and his OBP (on-base percentage, the number of times he doesn't make an out, which is arguably the most important stat in baseball outside of the score) was very good because of all those walks.

ps My Reds are now on the verge of the play-offs - 1 win (or a St Louis loss) gets us there.

His first was the first score of the game and his second was a double to make it 5-1 from memory so they certainly counted this time! On his third time up I swear the pitcher was deliberately throwing balls to get him to walk as there were two on base already and they didn't want a home run triple. It worked as the next guy struck out with the bases loaded.

Also saw a 'run' home run, I guess the equivalent of a fully run 4 in cricket. The catcher whacked the wall as he tried to catch it and the ball ricocheted at a very strange angle deceiving the back up fielder allowing the guy to just about squeeze home.

Drastic Sturgeon, did you see what happened to your boy Colvin last night?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100919&content_id=14847072&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Didn't see your post until now. Yeah, we'd been listening to 5LiveExtra and they were talking about injuries, and Mrs DS told me about Steve Yeager getting hurt for the Dodgers (her other team) by a splintered bat piercing his neck, then the next morning I heard about Colvin getting hurt. Pretty harsh.

His first was the first score of the game and his second was a double to make it 5-1 from memory so they certainly counted this time! On his third time up I swear the pitcher was deliberately throwing balls to get him to walk as there were two on base already and they didn't want a home run triple. It worked as the next guy struck out with the bases loaded.

Also saw a 'run' home run, I guess the equivalent of a fully run 4 in cricket. The catcher whacked the wall as he tried to catch it and the ball ricocheted at a very strange angle deceiving the back up fielder allowing the guy to just about squeeze home.

It's amazing how he'd score/bat-in 100+ runs each year, yet somehow there was always some reason why they should never have counted...

Baseball is quite a tactical game, and you will sometimes see a team intentionally walk someone either to avoid a hot hitter, or if there's someone at second base but first base is empty, to set up the double play. I love the tactical side of it and it really gets quite complicated. One of the key elements of the tactics is the count - a 3 and 1 count (3 balls and 1 strike) dramatically swings the odds in the batter's favour, whereas if the pitcher gets ahead of the count by throwing strikes, especially at 0 and 2, the pitcher statistically has a huge advantage.

Anyway, here's the scorecard in case you are interested. I'd guess that would have been Willie Harris with the inside-the park-homer - as he's quick but has no power.

ps Some lingo for you, it's known as a 2-run home-run - a double (or single/treble etc) refers to the number of bases the batter advances. The "catcher" is the equivalent of the wicketkeeper, so it was probably one of the outfielders who was deceived by the bounce

A quick word on the Cubs end of season. Whilst there have been plenty of good signs this last month for Cubs fans & good debut seasons from the likes of Castro, Colvin, Cashner etc. But for me the star of the last 2 months has been Carlos Zambrano, having had an awful start to the season, a 3-6 losing record & at one point an ERA of 7.07 and was suspended in July after a dugout bustup with Derrick Lee, and was sent to anger management.
Last night he earnt his 7th straight decision in a 1-0W against the Padres to go 7-0 in 10 starts since his return, with an ERA of 1.27 in that time. He also struck out 5 batters last night to move into 2nd place in Cubs club history. It's been a maginficent comeback for a pitcher many Cubs fans thought was past his best.
Well done Big Z! :clap:

Now that the season is nearly over names are starting to be thrown around for the position of Cubs Manager following Lou Piniella's retirement. Interim manager Mike Quade must stand a good chance having guided the Cubs to a 20-11 wining record (0.645 win %) so far, already interviewed are Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg and ex-Indians manager Eric Wedge. Also said to be interesting the Cubs are Nationals coach Pat Listach, ex-Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin, and ex-Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu. But the most suprising tip is White Sux manager Ozzie Gullien who may be a possibilty IF he does not agree an extension at cellular Field, who has history in trash-talking the Cubs and would not be a popular choice among Cubs fans.

So we know the Playoff line-ups, predictions?

AL
Tampa Bay Rays v Texas Rangers
Minnesota Twins v NY Yankees

NL
Philadelphia Phillies v Cincinnati Reds
San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves

Last edited:
So we know the Playoff line-ups, predictions?

AL
Tampa Bay Rays v Texas Rangers
Minnesota Twins v NY Yankees

NL
Philadelphia Phillies v Cincinnati Reds
San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves

I fear a Phillies v Yankees world series.

Can't see my Reds getting past the Phillies' ridiculous 3 man rotation of Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels. Having the series spread over 8 days negates one of Cincy's strengths which would be the depth of the rotation (there's little to no drop in quality between 1-5 (or 7 or 8 come to that)). The likes of Volquez, Cueto and Arroyo can on their day go toe to toe with any of those three, but are inconsistent.

ps DS, shocking spelling for those NL cities! Have amended it in my post to spare your blushes.

I fear a Phillies v Yankees world series.

Can't see my Reds getting past the Phillies' ridiculous 3 man rotation of Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels. Having the series spread over 8 days negates one of Cincy's strengths which would be the depth of the rotation (there's little to no drop in quality between 1-5 (or 7 or 8 come to that)). The likes of Volquez, Cueto and Arroyo can on their day go toe to toe with any of those three, but are inconsistent.

ps DS, shocking spelling for those NL cities! Have amended it in my post to spare your blushes.

Thanks YB, don't know what's going on with my spelling/typing abilities lately. :blush:

I fear the same as you, would love a Reds v Rays World Series.

Thanks YB, don't know what's going on with my spelling/typing abilities lately. :blush:

I fear the same as you, would love a Reds v Rays World Series.

I think you'll be half right. The Yanks' rotation won't get them past the Twinkies and I can see the Rays dealing with Minnesota now that they have home field. As for Philly, they look close to unstoppable.

WTF is happening to the Rays Rusty?! :scared:

They couldn't generate runs against Baltimore and KC at the end of the season, but i thought they could turn it around come play off time. Obviously, I was wrong. The hitters are asking the pitching staff to throw shut outs just to go into extras, and nobody is going to win a series that way. I'm still hopeful that Garza can win tomorrow night in Arlington, and Wade Davis certainly has the stuff to send the series back to St Pete, but the Rays have to get their bats swinging. I really hope Joe returns Jaso to lead-off now we're clear of the Rangers' lefties.

I'm glad to see the Rays forced a game 5 against the Rangers. If they get eliminated I'm sure I'll lose all interest in the playoffs as my favorite AL team, the Twins, have already been eliminated. Do you think Price will be able to best Lee this time around Rusty?

Back