• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Opening day is almost upon us, which team do you follow and what do you think to their prospects for the coming season?​

It’s been quite an off-season at Wrigley Field, interim manager Mike Quade was made full-time manager after leading the Cubs to a 24-13 finish in 2010. The Cubs main acquisitions have come in the form of Carlos Pena and Matt Garza from the Rays and re-signing club legend Kerry Wood to strengthen the bullpen. No big marquee signings but Cubs are rumoured to be positioning themselves to make a bid for Albert Pujols next close season.​

The big questions were who would take the 4th & 5th spots in the Cubs rotation, with Randy Wells, Carlos Silva, Andrew Cashner, Casey Coleman and Braden Looper all aiming for the 2 spots. In the end Wells claimed 4th as expected but Carlos Silva was dumped by the Cubs with Cashner taking the spot that Silva expected to be his. Looper chose to retire having not made the cut and Coleman was disappointingly imho sent to the minors.​

Expectations aren’t exactly soaring around Wrigley Field, although I’m quietly confident that we could suprise a few people - I certainly expect a better year than last year. The Reds & Cardinals will again be favourites for the NL Central, the Brewers spent big in the close season but big signing Zack Grienke is injured. Last season was salvaged by the Cubs rookies, Starlin Castro, Tyler Colvin & Andrew Cashner, this season the big names like Zambrano, Ramirez & Soriano have to step up if we are to challenge.​

Rotation: Dempster, Zambrano, Garza, Wells, Cashner​

Expected Lineup:
1. RF Fukudome / 2B Baker
2. SS Castro
3. 1B Pena
4. 3B Ramirez
5. CF Byrd
6. C Soto
7. LF Soriano​
8. RF Colvin / 2B DeWitt

Defending National League Central champions Cincinnati Reds

Expected line-up

1. Stubbs CF
2. Phillis 2B
3. Votto 1B
4. Rolen 3B
5. Gomes LF
6. Bruce RF
7. Hanigan/Hernandez C
8. Janish SS

Rotation Volquez/Cueto/Arroyo/Bailey/Wood

That's essentially the same team as won the NL Central last year. Orlando Cabrera is the only starter to have gone, with youngster Paul Janish stepping up from the bench. Janish has an excellent glove and is an upgrade there, but offers less with the bat - if the Reds need more offensive help free agent Edgar Renteria will see more playing time.

Before pre-season the two main question marks were who would lead off and who would play left-field. Dave Sappelt was the star of pre-season and is many fans choice to combine both roles but was one of the last cuts mainly because he has just a handful of appearances at AAA. Other options such as $0.9m free agent signing Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida (minor league contract only and failed to make the cut) failed to impress leaving incumbent Jonny Gomes as the likely left field option, although given Gomes' poor defence and vulnerability against right-handed pitching, he may yet end up platooning. That means the batting order will need to be moved around in the absence of a natural lead-off hitter, with Stubbs, Phillips and maybe even Bruce (although it would be a criminal waste of his talent) of the regulars with Heisey, Renteria and Lewis perhaps spot-starting in that role.

The only other questions are were around who wasn't going to make the rotation or the bull-pen, but the Reds' embarassment of riches was spared with Cueto and Bailey picking up minor injuries which should ease that log-jam.

The Reds should be long term challengers, but I wouldn't be surprised if this year was a case of after the Lord Mayor's show. Votto surely can't be as good as he was last year, but the young rotation could take several steps forward and Jay Bruce could emerge as a bona fide star. With the Reds boasting one of the best farm systems around on top of an exciting core of young MLB talent, it's an exciting time to be a Reds fan.

Defending American League East Champions - Tampa Bay Rays

Where YB talks about 'basically the same team that won the NL Central last year' when discussing his Reds, the Rays have been drastically remodelled from the 2010 vintage. Carl Crawford and Dan Wheeler are in Boston, Carlos Pena and Matt Garza are in Chicago and Rafael Soriano is in Pinstripes. The Rays have also lost 08 MVP Jason Bartlett, and most of their bullpen, including set up man Joaquin Benoit. Most MLB experts have the Rays as a distant third in the super competitive AL East this year, and some pick them fourth behind the offensively charged Blue Jays.

When will these 'experts' ever learn? You never write off Joe Maddon and his ball club. The Rays still have one of the elite rotations in the majors, led by All Star starter David Price. Look for Wade Davis to have a Price-like year this year in his sophomore season, and for Jeff Niemann to bounce back into the elite. The bullpen is a concern, much depends on Jake McGee making the jump to the majors this year. Kyle Farnsworth is clearly not a long term solution. As for offense, the Rays now have the ultimate X Factor in Manny Ramirez. Man Ram has been a revelation in Spring Training with his attitude and his production, but it remains to be seen whether he will continue in this vein. Look for a monster year from All Star 3rd baseman Evan Longoria with Manny protecting him in the line-up. I'm also hoping for a big year from right fielder Matt Joyce, who has real plus power but was hampered by poor average and strike outs last year.

I think this Rays line up is a year and a closer away from contending for a pennant, but I can see them racking up 90 wins again, and that might be enough for a wild card. Joe Maddon knows how to get a low payroll team past the two biggest beasts in the East, who says he can't do it again?

I didn't realise Manny had gone to the Rays, that'll be interesting to see how he goes. As usual I'll be hoping the Rays upset the yankee/red sux axis :thumbsup:

Defending American League East Champions - Tampa Bay Rays

Where YB talks about 'basically the same team that won the NL Central last year' when discussing his Reds, the Rays have been drastically remodelled from the 2010 vintage. Carl Crawford and Dan Wheeler are in Boston, Carlos Pena and Matt Garza are in Chicago and Rafael Soriano is in Pinstripes. The Rays have also lost 08 MVP Jason Bartlett, and most of their bullpen, including set up man Joaquin Benoit. Most MLB experts have the Rays as a distant third in the super competitive AL East this year, and some pick them fourth behind the offensively charged Blue Jays.

When will these 'experts' ever learn? You never write off Joe Maddon and his ball club. The Rays still have one of the elite rotations in the majors, led by All Star starter David Price. Look for Wade Davis to have a Price-like year this year in his sophomore season, and for Jeff Niemann to bounce back into the elite. The bullpen is a concern, much depends on Jake McGee making the jump to the majors this year. Kyle Farnsworth is clearly not a long term solution. As for offense, the Rays now have the ultimate X Factor in Manny Ramirez. Man Ram has been a revelation in Spring Training with his attitude and his production, but it remains to be seen whether he will continue in this vein. Look for a monster year from All Star 3rd baseman Evan Longoria with Manny protecting him in the line-up. I'm also hoping for a big year from right fielder Matt Joyce, who has real plus power but was hampered by poor average and strike outs last year.

I think this Rays line up is a year and a closer away from contending for a pennant, but I can see them racking up 90 wins again, and that might be enough for a wild card. Joe Maddon knows how to get a low payroll team past the two biggest beasts in the East, who says he can't do it again?

Manny being Manny' s awesome and is my favourite all-time non-Reds player. Adding him as protection for Eva Longoria is a great move. I presume he's going to be primarily a DH, as defensively he might just be a slight drop off from Crawford.

Whilst a bad bull-pen will cripple you, I think bull-pens are largely lotteries. Relievers IMO tend to have one good year, one bad year (or is that Dusty just abusing pitchers when they are hot, meaning they are screwed the following year?). I think the trick is to just buy low, sell high. The Rays have an awesome farm system which means plenty of talent coming through and plenty of trading chips with which to try and strengthen through the season.

As ever, I will be cheering the Rays (and the awesome Joe Maddon) on in the AL East in the hope that they can topple the twin evil empires of the Yankees and the Red Sox. If I wasn't already a Reds fan, I think I'd have to be a Rays fan.

Excellent point on bullpens YB, they do seem to be incredibly unpredictable. I don't think anybody saw the dominance of Benoit and Soriano coming last year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop off this year, especially as they won't have the stellar Rays' defence backing them (Manny is definitely DH-ing, but Jonny Damon will be playing in the outfield).

I feel like these last few years of awesomeness in St Pete have been fair reward for supporting the Major League equivalent of Barnet from 1998-2007, long may it continue.

Defending third place finishers in the NL West - Colorado Rockies

Expected Line-Up

1 - Dexter Fowler (CF)
2 - Jonathan Herrera (2B)
3 - Carlos Gonzalez (LF)
4 - Troy Tulowitzki (SS)
5 - Todd Helton (1B)
6 - Ian Stewart (3B)
7 - Seth Smith (RF)
8 - Chris Iannetta (C)

Rotation - Ubaldo Jimenez, Jorge de la Rosa, Jhoulys Chacin, Jason Hammel, Esmil Rogers; Closer - Huston Street

Bench - Ty Wiggington (UTIL), Jason Giambi (1B), Jose Lopez (INF), Ryan Spilborghs (OF), Jose Morales (C)

The Rockies do have 2 of the best young position players in baseball today in Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. Both either need to repeat what they did last year or need much more help from their supporting cast. Dexter Fowler needs to learn to get on base much more often than he has to be an effective lead off hitter and Todd Helton needs to show he has something left in the tank. It would be disappointing to see a potential HOFer go out with such a whimper.

Offensively, this is the deepest team the Rockies have had since the days of the 'Blake Street Bombers'. Ty Wiggington will get tons of games because of his versatility and Jose Lopez will get quite a few starts spelling Herrera at second or taking over at third against southpaws. Ryan Spliborghs has been frustrating as he seemed like he had the potential to become an all-star but he is a good option as a fourth outfielder.

Pitching wise it will be interesting to see how this staff performs. Jimenez is a legitimate ace but the other four need to step up. Again, depth is an advantage here as a couple of good starting pitching prospects are on the verge of being major league ready and veterans Aaron Cook and John Maine will likely have an impact once they return from injury.

The bullpen as YB mentioned is always hard to project, but the Rockies do have a few guys with closing experience that could help the team endure struggles and injury.

I think the Rockies have a real chance in the NL West but it won't be easy with the Giants as the obvious favorites.

5LiveExtra will be broadcasting Opening Day tonight, Yankees v Detroit from 6pm.

I think we all know who we want to win that one.

Last MLB fix was NY in 2004 where Red Sox swept Yanks then went onto WS Champions, then Tampa 2006 so I'm missing the atmos some :-(

5LiveExtra will be broadcasting Opening Day tonight, Yankees v Detroit from 6pm.

I think we all know who we want to win that one.

Yh Detroit! ;-)

When is it on?

Probably tonight from 6pm.

Anyway, great start for the Reds. Trailing by 2 with 2 outs in the 9th, Ramon Hernandez goes opposite field for a walk-off 3 run HR. Wow.

What an abysmal opening for the Rays, whose bats are colder than a well-digger's *** in Idaho.

At least Joe has things in perspective: "We're definitely neck and neck with the Red Sox right now."

Yeah, had noticed Rusty, didn't want to say anything though.

Cubs are .500 at the minute, losing opening series 2-1 to Pittsburgh then beating Arizona, both at Wrigley. The Rays old boys have had mixed fortunes, Pena leads the way in RBIs but is out with a sprained thumb, and on his starting debut Garza allowed a career worst 12 hits, but struck out a career best 12 batters. Still we're above the Cards & Brewers :smiles:

YB's Reds are flying at the minute.

Yeah, had noticed Rusty, didn't want to say anything though.

Cubs are .500 at the minute, losing opening series 2-1 to Pittsburgh then beating Arizona, both at Wrigley. The Rays old boys have had mixed fortunes, Pena leads the way in RBIs but is out with a sprained thumb, and on his starting debut Garza allowed a career worst 12 hits, but struck out a career best 12 batters. Still we're above the Cards & Brewers :smiles:

YB's Reds are flying at the minute.

Last time we won the first five was 1990 and we all* know what happened then.....

I really, really like this current Reds side. It's just a real solid ball club - it doesn't just hit well (I think they led the National League in runs and average last year), it also plays great defense and runs the basepaths really well. They were 4-0 down the other night and it ended up a blow out - to the Reds. There was a double steal for example that brought about an error and ended up with an extra run; on another play Brandon Phillips went through the catcher to force in another; and on another Chris Heisey broke up a double play to allow the runner to make it home. It's just good baseball.

How far exactly we can make it will depend on the pitching and whilst I'd take the bottom of the Reds' rotation over most other team's bottom of the rotations, I think the lack of a fully fledged ace will count against the Reds, particularly in play-off baseball.

Can I also say, how great it is to have highlights of each night's action available - for free - on each team's web-site or on mlb.com. If you don't already do so, check it out.

*When I say all, possibly only Rusty does, but it was the last time we won the World Series.

Manny tests positive for PEDs, retires, Longo out, Damon looks finished and nobody can score a run. Rays have one win from their first nine - let's talk hockey, OK?

The Rockies have had a great start to the season, 7-2 with both losses coming in extra innings. Hopefully they can keep it up for awhile longer. Even though its only April they have started very slow the past few seasons so it'd be nice to get things going in the right direction early. I haven't been to a game yet which is sad considering I live less than 2 miles from Coors Field but I'm going to the game this Sunday against the Cubs which is always a fun series due to the number of Cubs fans in Denver.

Manny tests positive for PEDs, retires, Longo out, Damon looks finished and nobody can score a run. Rays have one win from their first nine - let's talk hockey, OK?

Heck of a game for them against the Red Sox tonight, hopefully their bats have awoken and they can repeat that performance many more times. I definitely think Manny retiring is a good thing for the Rays. He obviously was nowhere near as good as he was in his prime which was likely artificial anyways and he has never struck me as a great influence for younger players. They AL East at least in the early going looks wide open so a little run will have the Rays right back where they need to be.

I'm going to the game this Sunday against the Cubs which is always a fun series due to the number of Cubs fans in Denver.

I've not got high hopes for Cubs against the Rockies, be interesting to hear what you thought of the Cubs after the game Sunday.

LOL the Reds have become the Bengals - starting pitcher Mike Leake (signed for a $2.9m bonus) has been arrested for shoplifting at Macys.

Stay classy Cincinnati

Back