• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can understand why you would say that - I suppose our last one was Nile Ranger (haven't heard anything about him lately) - but sometimes I wonder if having such a player "invites" us to play the long ball and knock down routine.

In League One you need a player that will dominate in the air up front. Not every single game admittedly. Plan A could well be to play lovely passing football and try to find Cox and Hopper in dangerous positions. But sometimes in games against certain opposition that won’t work and we might need to go a little bit more direct and just keep the ball in the opponent’s half and build from there. MAF was a great foil for Simon Cox and our attacking midfielders and we’re going to need someone similar, of that I’m in no doubt.

In League One you need a player that will dominate in the air up front. Not every single game admittedly. Plan A could well be to play lovely passing football and try to find Cox and Hopper in dangerous positions. But sometimes in games against certain opposition that won’t work and we might need to go a little bit more direct and just keep the ball in the opponent’s half and build from there. MAF was a great foil for Simon Cox and our attacking midfielders and we’re going to need someone similar, of that I’m in no doubt.

Yes - I can see that. But then Barry Corr was also good when he had the ball at his feet (not as good as MAF I would say) ...... but that didn't stop the ball being lobbed up to him over and over again.

I've come around to the idea that we need another striker. Ba and Wabo are still young and (unless you are supremely talented) need time here and there to develop - so that leaves Hopper, Cox and Robinson.

We do have a very tall player in Dieng now ............. so perhaps set pieces and corners might carry some more threat?

Would love to see us get Tom Eaves from Gillingham. But I guess we’d need to pay a fee and they would likely want far in excess of what we could afford/would want to pay.

Yes - I can see that. But then Barry Corr was also good when he had the ball at his feet (not as good as MAF I would say) ...... but that didn't stop the ball being lobbed up to him over and over again.

I've come around to the idea that we need another striker. Ba and Wabo are still young and (unless you are supremely talented) need time here and there to develop - so that leaves Hopper, Cox and Robinson.

We do have a very tall player in Dieng now ............. so perhaps set pieces and corners might carry some more threat?
Reading the match reports so far it looks like Macca is aiming for Dieng at set pieces

I can understand why you would say that - I suppose our last one was Nile Ranger (haven't heard anything about him lately) - but sometimes I wonder if having such a player "invites" us to play the long ball and knock down routine.
Would love to see us get Tom Eaves from Gillingham. But I guess we’d need to pay a fee and they would likely want far in excess of what we could afford/would want to pay.

I wonder if Chris Powell would consider Mikael Mandron, a 6ft 3ins, 24 year old striker that Colchester bought for a substantial fee from Wigan in 2017. He got ten goals last year but was in and out of the side.

I wonder if Chris Powell would consider Mikael Mandron, a 6ft 3ins, 24 year old striker that Colchester bought for a substantial fee from Wigan in 2017. He got ten goals last year but was in and out of the side.

He's another player that is still under contract, so will command a fee, I'm not sure about him being "In and out of the side", he played 49 matches in all competitions (44 league two games) for them last season.

That being said, they might be happy to off load him, apparently both Peterbough and Col Ewe agreed a price for him, but he didnt agree with the personal terms offered to him.

Last edited:
He's another player that is still under contract, so will command a fee, I'm not sure about him being "In and out of the side", he played 49 matches in all competitions (44 league two games) for them last season.

That being said, they might be happy to off load him, apparently both Peterbough and Col Ewe agreed a price for him, but he didnt agree with the personal terms offered to him.
Doubt we'd agree any better terms if wages may have been the problem :Smile2:

Who knows, players and agents can be opportunistic. If an offer comes in from a club they think has a bigger wallet they could try and squeeze them for more than they're offering because they think they can... That being said, you're probably right.

Maybe Posh saw him as a 3rd or 4th choice striker and/or a bit of a work in progress. Therefore they might have only offered him slightly more money than he’s on with no guarantee of playing time. Not a massively attractive proposition.

Seeing as we have Hopper, Cox and Robinson - I would rather see us take a punt on a non-league striker in the hope we find an uncut diamond. The names mentioned would require money we probably can't afford. Non-league would be cheaper and if we get lucky would make important revenue in the future. If it goes wrong then potentially less of a loss than buying an established player if it just doesn't work.

Seeing as we have Hopper, Cox and Robinson - I would rather see us take a punt on a non-league striker in the hope we find an uncut diamond. The names mentioned would require money we probably can't afford. Non-league would be cheaper and if we get lucky would make important revenue in the future. If it goes wrong then potentially less of a loss than buying an established player if it just doesn't work.

.... or alternatively see if a young man or two can cut their teeth this season .......... Ba and Wabo anyone?

Anyway, isn't Ba effectively "non-league" in that he is unproven at this level and we took a "punt" on developing him?

A fair point - I guess for both of them it would require more than ten minute cameo in a league game. They would need a run of matches and support from fans to see if they can establish themselves.

Back