• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Perspective ? We are not as good a side as the initial three straight wins suggested; we are probably not quite as bad a side as three straight defeats would suggest either.

We are an average side destined for an average season.

We have too many players, especially in defence, with limitations. Unless a commanding centre-half arrives via the loan system, we can forget about any thoughts of challenging.

Perspective ? We are not as good a side as the initial three straight wins suggested; we are probably not quite as bad a side as three straight defeats would suggest either.

We are an average side destined for an average season.

We have too many players, especially in defence, with limitations. Unless a commanding centre-half arrives via the loan system, we can forget about any thoughts of challenging.

Yes I agree young Mick. I did also say at the start of the season I felt it would be a similar story to last year finishing around about where we are now. So yes I take your point, Not quite good enough to take the step into L1 but not the worst in our Division by far.

Good posts on here I agree with Dazzaref when he says on Monday his company will try to sort out what went wrong last week and aim to put it right In SUFC terms its time for Mr Brown to do this and learn not just from yesterday but from the other two defeats so we are ready to give a performance and get a result on Friday .

I also had to listen to the constant abuse of Straker yesterday and it drove me mad .. yes he had a bad game yes he is not the most talented player we have ever had but he is wearing our shirt and playing for us and I believe he is trying his best and until he is judged not good enough by the management team we should encourage him not ruin his and other players confidence .

Yesterday we were poor and worrying bullied at times by an average side out of our game but it has gone now and unless there is something really wrong again like the players not getting paid I expect us to perform much better on Friday

UTB

We not as good as first few games suggested, In a need of a big ugly centre half with a bit of experience. Also need a striker with pace. That's my perspective. Oh and we were truly awful yesterday and if we play like that for many more games, expect a grim season!

Yes, agree with this, we've not played badly in any other game...was that down to the changes of personnel yesterday? I don't think so, Cauley has been with us all week and didn't seem to be having a problem fitting in, it was more the style of play we seemed to change....where was all the crisp passing to feet? Why had we suddenly started hitting them long when Morecambe had so many tall players? It was the change of style that caused the problems.
Simple, Morecambe out-muscled us in key departments and stopped us playing in the fluent manner we had done in previous matches. They pressed us like we pressed Plymouth and forced us into mistakes. We didn't deliberately change style. Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit and Morecambe put in a near-perfect away performance.

Reality check.

9 points from the opening 6 games is a fair return for Phil and his players,IMO the play offs are a million miles away BUT so are the bottom 2 Positions.Yesterday we watched the limitation of the team and the reality is simple we are at best mid table.

OK yesterday was awful but I am thankful for the opening 9 points,Imagine the hysteria if we only had the same points as Accrington!

Let's get behind them on Friday.

Indeed you are right,With all the gloom I was just trying to be positive .
Mods feel free to merge this with the other thread .

Lol, it's ok, a bit of positivity around here is great! :thumbsup:ShrimperZone is a mass of highs and lows, and there are sections of the membership that thrive on either of them!

I think before people right us off they have to remember than despite Saturday when we simply didnt perform, we have actually been playing well in all the previous 5 (despite the results of the final two).

Its one thing saying oh the first 3 teams werent any good so it was a false picture, but we did play well in them and against the likes of Chesterfield and Wycombe away, neither who are push overs.

For me we have had one bad performance in five games, there is still plenty to be positive about, we just need to turn them into results.

Simple, Morecambe out-muscled us in key departments and stopped us playing in the fluent manner we had done in previous matches. They pressed us like we pressed Plymouth and forced us into mistakes. We didn't deliberately change style. Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit and Morecambe put in a near-perfect away performance.

I dont think they did particularly. I thought Northampton were much more disruptive in their closing down etc than Morcambe were.

Morcambe barely threatened us first half and scored against the run of play. They then grabbed the second one after the break and we gifted them the 3rd (however well he took it) by not closing down.

We never played well on Saturday but some calamitous defending is what gifted them the game more than Morcambe's endeavour.

Of course he is, but does he have to victimise one player for an entire match? It's hardly helpful is it?

I thought Straker was terrible Saturday however totally agree.

It's pathetic to suddenly jump on one players back during the game and slaughter him. He didnt play well but it wasnt his fault we lost. All that is really is fans throwing their toys out of the pram and wanted to vent anger, and its easier to do so against one player than the whole team.

I thought Straker was terrible Saturday however totally agree.

It's pathetic to suddenly jump on one players back during the game and slaughter him. He didnt play well but it wasnt his fault we lost. All that is really is fans throwing their toys out of the pram and wanted to vent anger, and its easier to do so against one player than the whole team.

I completely agree that he's entitled to his opinion. However, there are constructive ways of expressing it and there are destructive ways of expressing it. If he truly, passionately cares about Southend then he needs to find something more constructive otherwise he's only contributing to the problem. In the words of John Mclane - "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. Quit being part of the problem"!

I meant I agreed with OBL, I dont agree with victimising one player for a poor team performance.

I think before people right us off they have to remember than despite Saturday when we simply didnt perform, we have actually been playing well in all the previous 5 (despite the results of the final two).

Its one thing saying oh the first 3 teams werent any good so it was a false picture, but we did play well in them and against the likes of Chesterfield and Wycombe away, neither who are push overs.

For me we have had one bad performance in five games, there is still plenty to be positive about, we just need to turn them into results.

I dont think they did particularly. I thought Northampton were much more disruptive in their closing down etc than Morcambe were.

Morcambe barely threatened us first half and scored against the run of play. They then grabbed the second one after the break and we gifted them the 3rd (however well he took it) by not closing down.

We never played well on Saturday but some calamitous defending is what gifted them the game more than Morcambe's endeavour.

Morning the jam. I suspect your first paragraph here was your reflection of my comments and I respect that. I do actually agree with much of what you say and maybe in truth I was a little harsh but I still feel the results might have been more convincing especially with Plymouth, Northampton and Hartlepool. All 3 have been dire so far and if we have any aspirations of going up and showing that we can dominate most others in this Division then I will maintain this stance. I agree we haven't played badly but I don;t think we have been overly confident in believing this for we panicked slightly at Chesterfield at the death and couldn't quite scrape the draw at Wycombe but surely winning by playing ok in the first 3 would have given the players a huge injection of confidence to get at least two draws. In fact I'd have tarheted a win at Wycombe. Morecambe is a puzzler for me. Experienced players brough in , got the first goal and that should have inspired confidence to go on a higher level and pummel them but it didn't. The opposite occured. And if we have aspirarions of going up we have to be very consistent for this League will be a close fought one and I still feel as though Morecambe at Home we should be brealing down and winning. Now if were playing say Chesterfield at home and the same outcome occured I would have understood it more.

We certainly should be looking to beat Morcambe at home, in fact if we have aspirations to go up we should be looking to beat every one at home.

It was a bad performance and so far the only bad performance we have put in and if you are looking at it with perspective thats all that it is at the moment. Certainly results wise we need to get more points as we wont go up getting 9 out of 18.

Yep my man - Now I'm in total harmony with you with your latest reply.
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

Lol, it's ok, a bit of positivity around here is great! :thumbsup:ShrimperZone is a mass of highs and lows, and there are sections of the membership that thrive on either of them!

Totally agree.Now the dust as settled from Saturday, and everyone is telling everyone else who is s--t and who should be playing,
reality is, we have an emerging young side who is neither great or s--t, who out of the seven games(including Yeovil) we have played some of the best football i have seen in the last 2/3 years
We deserved a result at supposedly the best teams ground,Chesterfield, were actually better than Wycombe, and at even 1-1 saturday i couldnt see us losing.Yes we lost the 3 games and finger pointing as already starting, which is par for the site, but we dont need wholesale changes.
Obviously when we lose a game,the defence will always be the first the be criticised, but we need to encourage and develope what we have.
Saturday saw 2 very well taken goals and a mistake.
But my worry also is, we also dont create alot, and thank god Freddy as captured some form, or we would be in more trouble.
I like others, find Anthony Straker extremely frustrating, but he is a confidence player, so berating him and others, gains nothing, but him and them, not wanting the bloody ball
Like old blue lady says, lets stay positive, its early days.

I would really love to see some stats on how often players touch the ball. I thought Straker was poor on Saturday --as was everyone one else. But He also seems to have the ball an awful lot which suggests he is looking for it, and getting into positions to receive a pass. Some of the others who played badly didn't seem to touch the ball as much , if they had judging by how they played maybe they would be getting the abuse Straker has received.
As for Prosser's hoofing, a couple of times I saw him look up and their was nothing on so he had no choice, I also saw Philips 'hoof' without even looking up but he gets no abuse---- weird

Last edited:
To be honest I though Prosser was trying to play in on the floor whenever he could in the first half, certainly clears it plenty but not overly wasteful. Dont notice so much in second half as im in the SW and tend to notice whats going on right under my nose more.

Back