• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree with loads of the comments on here. The game hit me and the missus hard, because after such a good start, we were walking home feeling like we'd been dumped back in the end of last season - not a nice place to be.

However, the work rate was high, and I think we did keep going rather than surrender (even if the scoreline says different). This performace was the worst, and I fully expect us to react on Friday.

Some of the "support" around us was unbelievable. Straker getting stick all game (he didn't have his best game, but was far from alone) even Timlin getting abuse on his first game back for us! I heard someone behind me shout "go back to prison" but when I turned and politely asked who had said that, surprise surprise no one owned up - probably embarassed by their own behaviour.

Still, looking forward to Friday where my team will be positively supported by me for 90 minutes.

Best moment of the game was when the wife turned to me about 5 minutes in and said "Eastwood's a tank isn't he?" Yes. Yes he is.

I think perspective is relative - Yes, it's a not the end of the world winning 3 and losing 3 out of the opening 6 games, but it's not quite as black and white as that.

The fact is we're on a 3 game losing run and we are leaking goals left, right and centre - Most of which have been through our own making without the opposition having to work for it.

We wiped the floor with Wycombe last week and managed to come home empty handed because of some really iffy defending. We were in control of the game on Saturday, without being at our best, and then shot ourselves in the foot 3 times - all completely self inflicted.

Don't get me wrong, I think what PB is trying to do with our style of football is admirable. and at times, is very easy on the eye, but we need to be far more clinical with it at both ends of the pitch - the passing game must have an end product. At the same time, we have got to get rid of the soft centre.

Looking at our squad, we have a really strong midfield to choose from, with lots of different options. Our attacking resources are pretty good too - an in-form striker who, when on form, is the best at this level, a decent target man who can score goals and another striker who is proven at this level in terms of goals return. The only area where we are lacking is the centre of defence - Cresswell has not been replaced and that may undermine everything else we try and do.

If we cannot sign another defence, then we have to find a way of being more compact and more solid, both in open play and from set pieces - if that means introducing a holding type midfield role, then so be it.

Our squad had the nucleus of a really good side and we have enough, IMO, to be challenging for the play offs this season, for sure, as long as we can tighten up.

My only niggling concern, which I voiced on another thread is PB's record when it comes to losing runs - He struggles to turn them around - With Hull, it was an almighty losing run which nearly saw them relegated and it was an equally poor one at Preston which cost him his job. It may not be relevant here, but a concern nonetheless.

Back