• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperforlife

Director
Afternoon all

I would like to discuss an opinion of mine , that I have a problem with immediately after the game .

When we lose , I feel that it is really poor of some of the squad , to simply rush off done the tunnel , without coming round and clapping the supporters for turning up ....

Not all of the squad do it , Clohessy, Philips are two regulars that go to the west stand and walk round to the south to clap the fans .... However most do not , and its even worse when we have a bad day , as they scuttle down the tunnel and cant get away qucik enough.......and that really ticks me off.....

Most of us turn up come what may , and support them through thick and thin, but I feel that this small gesture goes along way to show that they at least recognise that the bulk of people support them .

Yesterday, the Accies went over to the ''74'' away fans and applauded them to a man, and that impressed me.

Would like to discuss this

Or is it just me who thinks they could do a little more...???

I have travelled a few times , and most of them do then , so maybe its a ''home'' thing , especially when they lose?

Maybe they're fed up with the booing and abuse hurled at them.

maybe they are in a rush to get home and get on shrimperzone and see all the ***** that gets talked about:smile:

Yeah, I think there's more recognition at away games, Clohessy and Phillips are the two who do it best at home, although Timlin and Belford have done too.

Grant would always clap fans win lose draw home or away, and i respect the bloke for that!

The away team always applaud their fans more than the home team at any football match because they only have to go to one area of the stadium and their fans have travelled much further to be at the game. And in the case of Accrington yesterday they'd won the game. I agree that yesterday was quite a poor showing though, Clohessy's the only one I noticed applauding the North-West area. But I imagine after losing to Accrington and playing in that heat for 90 minutes most of them just wanted to get off.

Yeah I was going to say about this most if them rushed off down the tunnel!

They need to give a bit of respect in my book

Surely respect is a two way street?

I've never bought into this players applauding the fans, away games maybe, but home games? I'm not so sure, I don't hang around for them and don't expect the players to do the same.

Maybe that's because I go back to the days when they announced the crowd changes to the teams.

right or wrong , a really simple way of improving your relationship with the fans is to do clap them at the end . Any player who does this is week in /week out is going to get less grief with fans as they will have built up some 'credit' with them.

so its a win/win situation and players that don't do it are dumb -----IMO

Haha give over. Oldest excuse in the book. To be honest most of the fans walked away sharpish so dont see why the players need to but not for your reason. I didnt hear much booing or abuse but to be fair weve just lost 1-0 at home to Accrington Stanley, who were a very poor side.

The majority of them probably earn less than many on here. What respect to they owe you Scott?

The fact that I go everywhere watching this team pouring my heart and soul into it starting chants in the North supporting the players hitting that drum till my hands are sore!

The fact they are able to play football for a living while for some of us it was a distant dream yet take time out of our lives to support them.

and lastly our ticket money which forms part of their wages.

How you can say they don't owe us any respect is beyond me

The fact that I go everywhere watching this team pouring my heart and soul into it starting chants in the North supporting the players hitting that drum till my hands are sore!

I'm guessing you support the team because you love SUFC, and football. Why should you be respected purely for doing what you love?

The fact they are able to play football for a living while for some of us it was a distant dream yet take time out of our lives to support them.

We take time out of our lives to support Southend Utd, not necessarily the individual players. To them football's a job

and lastly our ticket money which forms part of their wages.

When you shop at Tesco (or wherever) do you expect them to line up outside and applaud you out? After all, your purchases (along with others) do pay their wages.

How you can say they don't owe us any respect is beyond me

We don't support the team as a personal favour to the players, but because we love Southend. It's nice to be appreciated for our support, but it's not a right to expect it.

Back