• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Couldn't care less about the players applauding the supporters personally. To be honest, I'm more bothered about them shaking the hands of the opposition and match officials post game.

The majority of them probably earn less than many on here.

Strewth! People are always going on about players being signed on £1000, £2000, £4000 or more a week and you reckon they are paid less than most on here? I'd like to know what some of you do for a living if this is the case. You certainly ain't teachers.

As regards the clapping I couldn't care one way or another. It's usually pretty perfunctory anyway.

There is far more player reocgnition at away games, where our support is much better. At home, often our support is pretty poor in my opinion, especially in the west and south, with a lot of abuse being thrown at players for a misplaced pass.

So, although I don't agree with it, I understand why the players don't bother sometimes.

Strewth! People are always going on about players being signed on £1000, £2000, £4000 or more a week and you reckon they are paid less than most on here? I'd like to know what some of you do for a living if this is the case. You certainly ain't teachers.

As regards the clapping I couldn't care one way or another. It's usually pretty perfunctory anyway.

He has a point though as am sure our top earner is only on £1500 pw and I am sure there are many on here in the 40% tax bracket

Seems to be a generational thing. Some couldn't give a monkey's whilst other believe it's conditional to their support - as this thread shows.

The younger you are, the more demanding you are, it appears, whether it be players doing a lap of honour, when the team attack the goal nearest to them, or what everyone else should be doing in the ground (although there will also be exceptions proving the rule).

Me? I enjoy the quiet gloom and players trudging off. It's what I'm used to.

Couldn't care less what the players do after the whistle*. If they want to show appreciation for the lukewarm support from the Southend fickle then they need only give their all during the 90 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

*Attacking opponents with scissors isn't advisable though.

Agree completely - I'd rather they focussed their efforts on the game. That's what we give up our time and money for, not to have a load of sweaty tattooed guys mechanically applauding us.

It's all meaningless and a bit cringeworthy anyway, if anyone on here genuinely thinks the players give a flying pickett about us fans they are sadly mistaken

It seems as if we are split 50/50 on whether players should go to the fans after the game. I totally agree that it's just a gesture which doesn't really mean anything, but having said that I can't really see why they don't all do it. For a minutes effort of walking around the pitch applauding, they at best get some fans on their side and at worst have no impact on other supporters. It's a no brainer really and there is definitely a correlation between the players who applaud the fans (Phillips, Clohessy) and the ones who get the least stick both in the ground and on this site.

It's also true that those players who seem to try the hardest on the pitch are also the same ones who applaud the fans, so maybe that says something about their commitment to the club compared to other members of the squad.

It seems as if we are split 50/50 on whether players should go to the fans after the game. I totally agree that it's just a gesture which doesn't really mean anything, but having said that I can't really see why they don't all do it. For a minutes effort of walking around the pitch applauding, they at best get some fans on their side and at worst have no impact on other supporters. It's a no brainer really and there is definitely a correlation between the players who applaud the fans (Phillips, Clohessy) and the ones who get the least stick both in the ground and on this site.

It's also true that those players who seem to try the hardest on the pitch are also the same ones who applaud the fans, so maybe that says something about their commitment to the club compared to other members of the squad.

...and the fact that they are two of our better performing players is only of secondary relevance?

Interesting point. Personally, I was disappointed with the lack of recognition from the players. We weren't taking our chances, accies were starting to dictate the game and the ground went very, very quiet, other than a few moans and groans here and there. We started up a blast of "Blue Army" in the North Bank, courtesy of True Blue on percussion, which we kept going for as long as possible to signal to the players that we were still right behind them. We went on, and on, until our throats went dry (no thanks to the bar in the West that ran out of water on a scorching day!) in the hope we could pull one out of the bag, but it wasn't to be.
I don't want a present, a free Uncle Ron hairstyle, or a surprise party, but whatever the result, a look up to the stands and clap the people that are still three, that still care, and will stick with them through thick and thin, wouldn't go a miss in my book.

Interesting point. Personally, I was disappointed with the lack of recognition from the players. We weren't taking our chances, accies were starting to dictate the game and the ground went very, very quiet, other than a few moans and groans here and there. We started up a blast of "Blue Army" in the North Bank, courtesy of True Blue on percussion, which we kept going for as long as possible to signal to the players that we were still right behind them. We went on, and on, until our throats went dry (no thanks to the bar in the West that ran out of water on a scorching day!) in the hope we could pull one out of the bag, but it wasn't to be.
I don't want a present, a free Uncle Ron hairstyle, or a surprise party, but whatever the result, a look up to the stands and clap the people that are still three, that still care, and will stick with them through thick and thin, wouldn't go a miss in my book.

Like you, I was there, with the "Blue Army" chant and was impressed with that response at that point in the game; my voice is still croaky today :unsure:

To say I was underwhelmed by the players response at the end would be an understatement and it was disappointing but wasn't on the scale of when they failed to come out after the Crewe game for a proper goodbye to the fans after a roller-coaster season.

As far as I saw on Saturday Sean Clohessey was the only one to actually come to the North/North West to acknowledge us, apart from Belford at the final whistle. I've got a part of his shirt sponsorship through the Zone, for the second season running, purely because of his consistency of commitment to the cause and his rapport with the fans as well as his play. When others question that only certain players seem to have their own chant or song then you don't need to look much further than that attitude to the fans; Clohessey, Belford, Freddy, Bil, Grant, Mildy all have/had that rapport which gets the fans going a bit which helps get the other chants going and, hopefully, helps raise the team. So it can be shown that the small act of acknowledging the support can have a bigger effect going forward; I don't ask that all the team come rushing to bow down before every part of the ground but even some acknowledgement to each part of the ground from the middle would be good. :clap:

Just remember this when next the Blues run out and the North are chanting "Clohessey, Clohessey"; there's a reason for that..... :thumbsup:

Back