• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got back home to Cornwall, what a farce at half time!!

As my only other game this season was the hammering at Cheltenham, maybe I should give up on this season:'(

Just got back home to Cornwall, what a farce at half time!!

As my only other game this season was the hammering at Cheltenham, maybe I should give up on this season:'(
Yes please. Don't want you ruining the start of my holiday in Cornwall by jinxing Plymouth away...!

Have to say, amongst all the farce of today's game, the behaviour of some of our players wasn't exactly very professional either. Dickinson smashing the ball into the face of one of their fans which led to the red-card incident (but credit to Timlin for checking that they were alright); Hall then got involved in some taunting with the fans in that area and also appeared to have some coins thrown at him; and then Phillips giving the Aldershot fans in the East terrace 'the sign' (which was surprising, don't know why he did that).

Have to say, amongst all the farce of today's game, the behaviour of some of our players wasn't exactly very professional either. Dickinson smashing the ball into the face of one of their fans which led to the red-card incident (but credit to Timlin for checking that they were alright); Hall then got involved in some taunting with the fans in that area and also appeared to have some coins thrown at him; and then Phillips giving the Aldershot fans in the East terrace 'the sign' (which was surprising, don't know why he did that).

It was actually Timlin who kicked the ball into the crowd, that's why he went to ask if he was ok

The really frustrating bit is that 1-0 up at half time with the oppo down to ten men, is a pretty much guaranteed draw at worst. As it is, we will be starting at 0-0. Totally unfair, seeing as it was their technical fault. The FL really need to sort that rule out in the opposition teams favour, and maybe then there will be less cases of floodlight failure.

In Spanish football, Granada was leading 2-1, when the linesman got hit by a umbrella from a Granada fan in the stand, the game was off at 62 minute. When the game was replayed, the game was run for another 28 minute include 4 minute of injury time and Mallorca scored to make it 2-2 in 67 minute of the replayed game and its finished 2-2, its fair that way.

Boxing Day Pantomime - My Observations

I was one of several hundred Shrimpers fans that made the tortuous 80 mile journey around the M25,to Aldershot to watch an eagerly anticipated Boxing Day football match.Instead what we all witnessed, can only be described as a PANTOMIME!

The first sign of trouble was when both sets of floodlights at the far end flickered and died during the first half. Those floodlights came back on for a few minutes towards the end of the first half only to go out again a few minutes later.There were a least 2 tannoy announcements during the first half asking for the Club electrician to report to the office and 2 further cries for the electrician to report in,during half time.The tannoy announcer appeared to be getting more and more desperate with each cry for the electrician's help.Towards the end of half-time,the floodlights at the far end were on,but the lights at our end were off.As soon as the Southend players came out to start the second half,the bombshell announcement was made ''Due to circumstances beyond our control,the match has been abandoned''. Our players looked as stunned as we all were!
Surely our players should have been informed of the situation and not be left in the dark!! The pitchside announcer then contradicted his colleague with the news that ''No decision has been made.'' Unbelievably,2 more announcements were made,first ''Match abandoned'', closely followed by ''No decision yet'' before the final announcement ''The match has been cancelled''.(WRONG:The match has been postponed,not cancelled!)

I understand that in a post match interview,the Aldershot manager,Dean Holdsworth told BBC Surrey that there had been floodlight problems all morning. If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt otherwise),several questions spring to mind :-

1) Where was the Club's electrician (or a replacement if he was not available)? Surely an electrician should have been on duty throughout the match.
2) Was the local Electricity supplier informed of the problem? If so, were any of their engineers in attendance? If not,why not?
3) Were the Southend management and players kept informed of the developing situation?
4) Why were tickets showing details of a previous match handed out to some Southend fans at the gate?
5) Who authorised the contradictory tannoy announcements?
6) Was every effort made to save the match,what actions were taken? Or did Aldershot FC decide early to ''Call it a day'' and try on another day? (Certainly the impression given that,being both a goal and a man down at half-time,Aldershot were relieved by the abandonment!)
7) What compensation will Aldershot give to ALL fans that attended yesterday?

I presume that the referee,Gavin Ward,will inform the Football League of the circumstances surrounding the abandonment and I trust that a full FL investigation will be carried out.That is the very least that all football fans deserve.

UTB

Blues fans fume at Aldershot postponement

SOUTHEND United fans were left furious after their side’s game at Aldershot was abandoned in comical circumstances yesterday.

More...

My gripe is that I paid a game of football and on;y got half - three times over.

Picture this - "4 course meal for £20"
"Sorry, the main courses are all off as are the desserts but it's still £20 because you've paid up-front."
"Oh OK that's fine."

I think not.

Comment left on the Echo site.

Make yourselves heard to the locals.

I suggest you make yourselves heard to Aldershot FC and the Football League as well as SUFC so that we put pressure on to have something tangible done about it.

How about this for a solution its a bank holiday today so why not just play out the remaining 45 minutes with the game starting at midday so floodlights wouldnt be needed. make it free entry for everyone. Okay there wouldnt be many Southend fans there but at least they could get the game over with while it was still fresh from yesterday.

Okay I know thats too much common sense for the Football League and it wont happen. I used to think cricket had the least common sense rules but I think Football has surpassed it.

A couple of things to clear up...

Pay on the dayers got Shrewsbury tickets because Southend Utd hadn;t returned the unsold match tickets, and a ticket has to be issued for the game.

We knew there was a problem with the lights at 2.30 but the ref wanted the game to start to give time to get the fixed. Anyone who noticed before the game the lights going on and off may have suspected there was an issue as a couple of your fans pointed out to us.

The on off farce was downright embarassing and I don't think will happen again.

I understand and fully sympathise with the fans who had a crap journey, am I right in thinking the same happened last term and many didn'y make it then either? I hope our club take on board your travel woes, and do the right thing and offer all those with their tickets free entry for the re-arranged game.

I cant beleive that the game will start from scratch when its rearranged in the future. What would happen say if it was towards the end of the season and a home club needed at least a point to stay up were down to 9 men loosing 4.0 with 10 min's to go. Can said club just through the switch take what punitive fine handed to them by the league but have another bite of the cherry to stay in a league where millions of pounds are at stake. Would love to see any stats on where scores have been turned around by the loosing side after a cancellation like this. What an utter **** up, It can only happen in football, the biggest sport in the world but light years away from most other competitions regarding rules and fair play.

What a farce!

THE LIGHTS went out on Liam Dickinson’s attempts to get Southend United back to winning ways at Aldershot yesterday.

More...

Aldershot should forfeit the game 0-1. It's a just punishment for slack maintenance of their lights.

Back