• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I cant beleive that the game will start from scratch when its rearranged in the future. What would happen say if it was towards the end of the season and a home club needed at least a point to stay up were down to 9 men loosing 4.0 with 10 min's to go. Can said club just through the switch take what punitive fine handed to them by the league but have another bite of the cherry to stay in a league where millions of pounds are at stake. Would love to see any stats on where scores have been turned around by the loosing side after a cancellation like this. What an utter **** up, It can only happen in football, the biggest sport in the world but light years away from most other competitions regarding rules and fair play.

To be pedantic floodlight failure won't be an issue at the end of the season if all matches start at 3pm teams could play until gone 8pm before lights would be needed.

As far as rearranged fixtures go there must be many where a team winning in the original game have lost the rearranged fixture. There was a famous match where Denis Law had scored 6 goals, the game was abandoned, and his team lost the rearranged game.

In all honesty do we really think they give a dam but us little people - after all we are the ones that go through the turnstiles each week, buy the merchanise, buy the programmes, eat from the outlets and part with our money quite often up front. COURSE THE BLOOMING WELL DONT!. Lets not kid ourselves that we will get anything back from yesterday.
As a family of 4 it probably cost us near on £100 for the day and that does not could our time - which of course is priceless.

What annoyed me the most was obviously no apology but most annoyingly that the guy who eventually announced it was called off sounded VERY VERY happy about it.

A couple of things to clear up...

Pay on the dayers got Shrewsbury tickets because Southend Utd hadn;t returned the unsold match tickets, and a ticket has to be issued for the game.
With all due respect, they must have known this would be the case with the match scheduled for Boxing Day so should have arranged something. Are tickets always issued? Pretty sure I've paid on the gate at some grounds and not been given a ticket in exchange for my money.

Also the stupid problems with the whole purple and grey tickets were just a joke, their steward stopping people from entering the un-covered terrace seemed very happy with ****ing us off. Another steward jobs worth.

What annoyed me the most was obviously no apology but most annoyingly that the guy who eventually announced it was called off sounded VERY VERY happy about it.

Got to agree there.
The way it was explained by the announcer was pretty poor. Perhaps the announcer should take a customer service course whereby he could address the supporters correctly. There was not even an introduction of Ladies/Gentleman, we are sorry to inform you.............................or regret to inform you.....................

A couple of things to clear up...

Pay on the dayers got Shrewsbury tickets because Southend Utd hadn;t returned the unsold match tickets, and a ticket has to be issued for the game.

Yep, my brother and I were two of those. After it was called off, on...er, not sure hang on and then off again, I spoke to a steward supervisor and asked about whether I would be able to get into the rescheduled game with my Shrewsbury ticket, dated Dec10th. A lady steward told me I shouldn't have been allowed in with that ticket, but after the supervisor called on his radio I was then told that Aldershot would liase with SUFC and inform them and to expect an annoucement soon.
Failing that, he said, I could ring up SUFC myself and explain the situation or email Aldershot with my query.
All in all, 'twas a shambles!!

Got stuck in the great car park that is called the M25 got the game 20 minutes late, spent £17 on 25 minutes of football :angry:

With all due respect, they must have known this would be the case with the match scheduled for Boxing Day so should have arranged something. Are tickets always issued? Pretty sure I've paid on the gate at some grounds and not been given a ticket in exchange for my money.

The protocol with these things is that the unused tickets and receipts from sales come back with a member of staff on the team bus, except clearly someone forgot the tickets, hence the issue of what was to hand, Shrewsbury tickets. There have only been a couple of places we haven't had a ticket in the last couple of seasons (Barnet and Accy) and that is contrary to FL regs, who insist a ticket is issued just in case of circumstances like this.

The stewarding also can be a heavy handed, but again, due to FL regs, we were required to issue seperate tickets for the covered and uncovered terrrace this year, and have had a few problems with migration from one area to the other this year, so prehaps they were just being 'extra diligent'.

As for the poster slating the away facilities, people in glass house shouldn't throw stones etc., the facilities at Roots Hall are equally as bad, with access to the disabled toilets down a flight of stairs! The bogs are awful too and the food outlet a joke, but I doubt you've been in there.

Don't get me wrong, I am as mortified as you that the lights went out and it is highly embarrassing, but in 40 years of watching the Shots, its the first time I can recall it happening in a league game. I take from the scathing comments we are receiving the lights at Roots Hall have never failed before?

The protocol with these things is that the unused tickets and receipts from sales come back with a member of staff on the team bus, except clearly someone forgot the tickets, hence the issue of what was to hand, Shrewsbury tickets. There have only been a couple of places we haven't had a ticket in the last couple of seasons (Barnet and Accy) and that is contrary to FL regs, who insist a ticket is issued just in case of circumstances like this.

The stewarding also can be a heavy handed, but again, due to FL regs, we were required to issue seperate tickets for the covered and uncovered terrrace this year, and have had a few problems with migration from one area to the other this year, so prehaps they were just being 'extra diligent'.

As for the poster slating the away facilities, people in glass house shouldn't throw stones etc., the facilities at Roots Hall are equally as bad, with access to the disabled toilets down a flight of stairs! The bogs are awful too and the food outlet a joke, but I doubt you've been in there.

Don't get me wrong, I am as mortified as you that the lights went out and it is highly embarrassing, but in 40 years of watching the Shots, its the first time I can recall it happening in a league game. I take from the scathing comments we are receiving the lights at Roots Hall have never failed before?

Seems unlikely.

All in all, sounds like a good thing we stayed at home and didnt bother running the gauntlet of the M25 and Aldershot Stewards!!

Also the stupid problems with the whole purple and grey tickets were just a joke, their steward stopping people from entering the un-covered terrace seemed very happy with ****ing us off. Another steward jobs worth.

In all fairness to the steward who would let us into the uncovered terrace, he did radio the control room to try to get permission to let us onto the uncovered terrace. He was refused & totally peed off with the stupidity of it all.

If they are going to have purple & grey terrace tickets, then maybe they should send the club both lots.

As somebody who has been to about 120 football grounds in this county, including a fair number of non-league grounds, Aldersh!t's ground is on a par with the old Halifax Shay ground. Being totally accurate, Great Wakering & Southend Manor have better facilities. Knowing how strict they are with the non-league, especially the two I've mentioned, how do they get away it? They even have a bloody tree in the middle of the path to the seating & open terrace & this has caused the path to be totally uneven. A shocking ground!

That used to be the home end , so yes some of of have

I can't recall a game abandoned at RH for Floodlight failure (in the last 40 years anyway) , I do recall the floodlights failing a couple of times, but I seem to remember the Essex electricians being able to fix things. Also in one game the floodlights were of sufficient quality to allow the game to progress despite partial floodlight failure.

We did have an "its off, no its on" situation a few years ago, an F A Cup replay where the game was postponed due to fog but unpostponed a few minutes later

In that instance our Chairman was able to fix the weather , its a shame he was unable to help with mere electrics this time

Personally, I feel a number of the comments regarding the facilities etc at Aldershot are unfair, it is an old ground, which to be honest, when we used to visit the previous football club which played there, was one of the smaller stadiums and considering they went bust I doubt if they had money to spend on facilities

The new club have only been going 20 years and , no doubt, are finding the money equally tight .

We , on this board , a the first to slate the premiers*** clubs for talking down to us, lets remember that there are a lot of clubs in the lower leagues now who have been Isthmian , or even lower in the past 30 years and , to be fair (Creepy excepted) have done well to get league status, when better funded clubs still haven't (Canvey and Chelmsford are two local ones who spring to mind) .
We are in the bottom division for a reason, we have been crap for several years, lets show some manners to those who had dreams to be in this division and done well to achieve it (Creepy excepted)

That said I was seriously ***** off on boxing day, so I can't begin to imagine how those who actually went felt and the injustice of the bookings, suspensions etc wouldn't help

As Firestorm pointed out we are well aware of the khazi's in the North Bank and it's rather gratifying to learn that they haven't improved in the years since it was the designated home end. In fact they were so insanitary that it was thought that cultures were being utilised for future germ warfare WMD.

Last edited:
In Spanish football, Granada was leading 2-1, when the linesman got hit by a umbrella from a Granada fan in the stand, the game was off at 62 minute. When the game was replayed, the game was run for another 28 minute include 4 minute of injury time and Mallorca scored to make it 2-2 in 67 minute of the replayed game and its finished 2-2, its fair that way.

The problem with that is who would pay to watch a game for 28 minutes?

Back