• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Rammell has been forced to bow out of Nationwide Conference National club Forest Green Rovers and call time on his football career a mere eight days after he signed a one-year deal at The Lawn.

The 37-year-old has torn up his contract after breaking down with a recurrence of the injury to his right knee that drove him out of professional football last season.

Having been given the green light by his physicians following an operation last winter while he was at Bristol Rovers, Rammell (pictured) was stunned by the knock-back and has decided enough is enough.

"I had no inkling that my knee would go," he said. "I did probably the hardest fitness test I've ever had to do to come to Forest Green and I came through it fine.

"But I got home and out of the blue it went and I couldn't walk on it. It took me six months to get over my operation and I think it's my knee telling me to pack up. That's me, done and dusted.

"I'm gutted because I only signed for Forest Green a week ago and was really looking forward to the season.

"I could have been a bit naughty and taken the money, but I didn't go there to skin the club, so we've cancelled the contract."

Distraught Forest Green manager Tim Harris admitted it was "always a gamble" taking Rammell on, but was convinced by the former Manchester United and Barnsley forward's attitude and experience.

With Rammell putting in an impressive showing in the pre-season fitness tests, his failure to come through summer training has left Harris hugely disappointed.

"He came through the test at the University of Gloucestershire with flying colours and was looking great," Harris said.

"We had a moderate session last Tuesday, then the fitness test on Thursday when he was 20% up on his first test. We then had a tough session on Saturday and he called me to say he couldn't walk on Monday.

"But he's been an absolute gentleman. He offered to rip up his contract and I can't fault his attitude.

"I was thrilled with his enthusiasm when he came to us and I always knew he would be a gamble.

"But now I've got to look for a replacement of the same quality."

Injuries blighted the latter stages of Rammell's professional career, curtailing his appearances for Wycombe in the three seasons before he moved to the Memorial Stadium last term.

But the potential of having a no-nonsense striker proved too tempting for Harris to resist.

Having made a name for himself at Atherstone United, the then Southern League club honoured their star by naming a stand after him when he left to join Manchester United in 1989.

Rammell joined Barnsley from Manchester United for £100,000 and made 149 appearances between 1990 and 1996, scoring 44 goals in the league.

His next move was to Southend United, where he scored 13 goals in 50 league matches, before switching to Walsall in 1998.

He netted 23 goals in 60 games for the Saddlers, then bagged 25 goals in 69 league matches for Wycombe.

OLD NEWS BUDDY... OLD NEWS!
rock.gif

Back