• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Groyne Strain

Manager
In admidst all the good vibes around at the moment due to our recent recovery, yet another depressing tale from an element of our support.

After having received so many good wishes and welcome backs from so many people in the pub after my involuntary visit to the hospital Chipper and I settled down in the South Lower and, like everyone else, was enjoying the relatively good start and Adam's opening goal.

It's funny how people can change though. The quick equaliser brought a few groans and shouts of anger at nobody in particular. When we fell behind, however, there was a response that defied belief.

I thought Collis done everything right try to block the Donny player's shot and, we all thought, had made a really good save until, of course, it bounced agonisingly into the net.

Sitting on the ground, obviously gutted, Steve must have been cheered by the reaction of the gentlemen sat in Row D, Seats 120-123 of the South Lower, who after shouting their abuse began chanting and clapping "Darryl Flahavan" at him.

It was young Chipper that broke the embarrassed silence around them with a timely "Shut up," whilst I commended them with "Great support lads. That's it, get behind the team". The lad the in the row behind them nodded his approval to me.

I then spent the next 5 minutes goading these said gentlemen, asking them to sing it again so that everyone can hear what great fans they are in a voice that ensured everyone around could hear. Not the most intelligent or eloquent of things to do but when someone's p!ssed you off to the 'nth degree what do you do?

I was trying to provide a response just as an excuse to launch into a full-scale tirade against them which, being in the Family Enclosure and bearing in mind my ongoing recuperation from a heart condition, wasn't the best thing to do.

To be fair to them, however, they appeared to be as embarrassed by their own display of support as was everyone around them. The only time I heard a peep out of them after that was celebrating our goals.

My point is this - at a time when the team are pulling themselves round, at a time when those running the admin side of the club have asked for our full support with what Ron described as the most important week in its' history - why should anybody in the employ of Southend United show any sort of loyalty or commitment to the cause above their own needs when they get such an appalling lack of support and loyalty in return (when it is needed most) from an element of our fans?

Spot on there mate. Collis made a good save for the 2nd, the forward just got the luck of the bounce. And you will always get fans shouting stuff without thinking first, and it will always be directed at one or 2 players.
I mentioned in another thread about Leon falling over when Bailey put him through. If that had been Harrold he would have been slaughtered. How long till these fans turn on Clarke?

I had similar d!ckhead sat behind me in the East Blacks. He got told to go away, or words to that effect!!

If you support a team, do exactly that, support them, don't slag them off!

happened in the South Upper too.. wish people would have a think before they opened their mouths on occasions.

If the luck had gone Collis's way, "Great save, sir!". It was the jammiest goal I've seen for ages!

In admidst all the good vibes around at the moment due to our recent recovery, yet another depressing tale from an element of our support.

After having received so many good wishes and welcome backs from so many people in the pub after my involuntary visit to the hospital Chipper and I settled down in the South Lower and, like everyone else, was enjoying the relatively good start and Adam's opening goal.

It's funny how people can change though. The quick equaliser brought a few groans and shouts of anger at nobody in particular. When we fell behind, however, there was a response that defied belief.

I thought Collis done everything right try to block the Donny player's shot and, we all thought, had made a really good save until, of course, it bounced agonisingly into the net.

Sitting on the ground, obviously gutted, Steve must have been cheered by the reaction of the gentlemen sat in Row D, Seats 120-123 of the South Lower, who after shouting their abuse began chanting and clapping "Darryl Flahavan" at him.

It was young Chipper that broke the embarrassed silence around them with a timely "Shut up," whilst I commended them with "Great support lads. That's it, get behind the team". The lad the in the row behind them nodded his approval to me.

I then spent the next 5 minutes goading these said gentlemen, asking them to sing it again so that everyone can hear what great fans they are in a voice that ensured everyone around could hear. Not the most intelligent or eloquent of things to do but when someone's p!ssed you off to the 'nth degree what do you do?

I was trying to provide a response just as an excuse to launch into a full-scale tirade against them which, being in the Family Enclosure and bearing in mind my ongoing recuperation from a heart condition, wasn't the best thing to do.

To be fair to them, however, they appeared to be as embarrassed by their own display of support as was everyone around them. The only time I heard a peep out of them after that was celebrating our goals.

My point is this - at a time when the team are pulling themselves round, at a time when those running the admin side of the club have asked for our full support with what Ron described as the most important week in its' history - why should anybody in the employ of Southend United show any sort of loyalty or commitment to the cause above their own needs when they get such an appalling lack of support and loyalty in return (when it is needed most) from an element of our fans?

your such a bully!!!! :finger:

same thing in the RBS stand. luckily a lot of the people around the person who shouted it, he must have been about 16, backed Collis.

I agree Collis was dreadfully unlucky with the goal. It said at he time to Mrs FS that it was a case of where the ball hits you, Sullivans clearance into Clarke his a "bony bit" and the ball ricoched some distance, had it hit a softer part of Clarke it may well have gone in. The Donny goal was the opposite , a softer part of either Collis or the forward may have taken enough off the ball for it not to go in.

Problem was the freekick certainly looked like a soft goal so people then saw another one go in and yet again want a scapegoat.

Theres nothing he could have done with the 2nd one, it was a good stop and on 99 out of 100 occassions the rebound would have gone somewhere safe, it was a fluke rebound thats all.

I think we have been spoilt in recent years and people have some over inflated expectations of the club we are and they think we should be walking this league and getting over critical of anything.

Im not convinced by Collis yet but he did ok Saturday and we picked up 3 points and are in the play-offs.

All of the people who jumped on the teams backs when we went behind need to take a good look at themselves...

PS See Celtic keeper's performance last night for a real horrorshow!

Only just seen this but it's absolutely spot on.

Problem was the freekick certainly looked like a soft goal so people then saw another one go in and yet again want a scapegoat.

Theres nothing he could have done with the 2nd one, it was a good stop and on 99 out of 100 occassions the rebound would have gone somewhere safe, it was a fluke rebound thats all.

I think we have been spoilt in recent years and people have some over inflated expectations of the club we are and they think we should be walking this league and getting over critical of anything.

Im not convinced by Collis yet but he did ok Saturday and we picked up 3 points and are in the play-offs.

All of the people who jumped on the teams backs when we went behind need to take a good look at themselves...

PS See Celtic keeper's performance last night for a real horrorshow!

Saw the Celtic game as well now that was shocking keeping.

As for Collis with the free kick. The ball travelled on the floor and should be blocked well before it got to the keeper. It was to tell from where i was sitting but did it go under or around the wall.

It was to tell from where i was sitting but did it go under or around the wall.

If that was Flavs in goal he would be criticised on here for not being commanding /and/or organising the defence enough.

Im happy enough to give Collis a run but for me he still needs to prove he is a better option than Flahavan.

2 deflections. The ball takes another one of barrett! I think he's done OK and i think tilly will stick with him for a while.

Spot on there mate. Collis made a good save for the 2nd, the forward just got the luck of the bounce. And you will always get fans shouting stuff without thinking first, and it will always be directed at one or 2 players.
I mentioned in another thread about Leon falling over when Bailey put him through. If that had been Harrold he would have been slaughtered. How long till these fans turn on Clarke?

did anyone else notice Bailey couldnt stop laughing after Clarke fell over? As for the freekick, i had a perfect view and Collis had no chance. Two lucky goals for Donny, another day it would have been a clean sheet.

Back