• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the heating on yet??

Been proper brass monkeys the last few days hasn't it? Has anyone really still NOT got their heating on that's in the UK?

Kay one my son's never puts the heating on. Another son doesn't as well and the kids wander around in onesies all day. The other has it cranked up to maximum as his relatives are over from Vietnam and are freezing. It's about 20 over there.
We still have the heating turned off after the chill has been taken off about 11 in the morning.
Heating might go on tonight as everyone is round for the England game and I don't want our Vietnamese guests to be uncomfortable. Daily cost yesterday with washing, tumble dryer and baking a cake and stew was a scandalous £4 yesterday. The highest since we started going mad with the heating. Trapper hat will be on for Boreham Wood.

Last edited:
This week I have got through approximately 6 wheelbarrow loads of wood in the wood burner. The heating comes on for an hour in morning and augments in evening if the temp indoors drops below 18c. During the day, like now, thermostats in Hall shows 17c, lounge 20c (where burner is).
All my wood is from free sourced
It is a bit of a flaff but paying off atm.

@londonblue you have oven on?
Rarely use ours as the air fryer does just about everything a "big" oven does but quicker and cheaper.
We don't have an air fryer, and the cost of buying one would negate the cost savings. Plus there's four of us and I don't think we could cook everything for all of us in one. That said, the oven isn't used every night, but when it is I leave the door open whilst it cools.

This week I have got through approximately 6 wheelbarrow loads of wood in the wood burner. The heating comes on for an hour in morning and augments in evening if the temp indoors drops below 18c. During the day, like now, thermostats in Hall shows 17c, lounge 20c (where burner is).
All my wood is from free sourced
It is a bit of a flaff but paying off atm.
Is it dry / kiln-dried wood?

Is it dry / kiln-dried wood?
I am a bit OCD on my logs and run 3 storage areas basically, 3yr,2yr and last years wood.
Stuff burned now is the 3 year dry.
I also have a (growing) pile of uncut, chopped wood awaiting spring when it will go into the then emptied 3 year old storage area.
Burning wet wood is not good and any good sweep will tell you it can cause big issues to a chimney etc.

We‘ll only use kiln-dried and avoid any of the sappy woods, not chimney-friendly, also have a wood moisture meter which very handy as back-up. Chimney sweep visits once a year, he’s been well worth the money.

We‘ll only use kiln-dried and avoid any of the sappy woods, not chimney-friendly, also have a wood moisture meter which very handy as back-up. Chimney sweep visits once a year, he’s been well worth the money.
Price of kiln dried has shot through the roof - do you have a 'cheap' source?

I haven't seen a comparison, but I suspect it's cheaper to have the central heating on, with radiators in unused rooms turned off, than using the log burner

Price of kiln dried has shot through the roof - do you have a 'cheap' source?

I haven't seen a comparison, but I suspect it's cheaper to have the central heating on, with radiators in unused rooms turned off, than using the log burner
Most tree companies that have worked on my estate have been more than happy for me to collect as much tree trunk or large branch wood as I want. Never bought any.
Get organised, good chainsaw (stidl or husqvarna), splitter axe and a few days summer work and you will have a pile ready for a few winters time.
Some wood is easier to cut, some drys slower, holly for example burns well BUT needs at least 3 years dry time as it is oil rich.
A wood pallet will give you basic sides for a "free" store construction or the planks make good kindling.
When it is "free" sourced it is cheaper than running CH but more bother if you haven't the time.

Back