• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Just got back in and thought I'd post a view from someone at the game.

Firstly, no way was it a 4-1 hammering. We more than matched Leeds, but our failing in the final 3rd is going to cost us. Harrold missed 2 or 3 good chances (even missed from 2 yards for Barretts goal) - not excusable.

Defensively we did ok - Leeds were happy to lump balls over the top for Beckford and Kandol, most of which Barrett and Clarke dealt with superbly.

Gilbert is SHOCKING. Dunno what is going on there - he is a liablity.

Bailey on the other hand, is a little star. Tonnes of energy, strong tackling, good passing - gonna be a tough decision who to go with in midfield.

But back to the point, we are never going to score goals with our crop of strikers (Bradburys hat-trick was a freak occurance - think everyone will admit it).

Driving home, me and my mate hammered through loads of strikers and the only name that kept cropping up was Jermaine Easter. If he is interesting Swindon, then we should be in for him. We need pace and movement up front, cos Bradders and Harrold are statues. Some of Bradders link up play was ok and Harrold won plenty of flick-ons - but we have nobody to pick them up.

Leeds looked very poor - apart from Beckford. Thompson did ok, but the game passed him by - he offered little apart from set-pieces. The Leeds crowd though are awesome and to be honest, I cannot see many teams leaving Elland Road with anything - and I stand by my pre-season predicition that if Leeds dont actually win the league, they will still go up on home form alone.

People will moan about the sub of Richards. As I've said in another thread, if you know a little bit about football then it was a no-brainer. Flo is 6 foot 3 (or more) and we had to defend that. If we had left Gilbert on, Flo would have pulled away onto Gilbert and had a field day.

It didnt work out in the end, but it had to be done.

MacDonald needs a decent run now if we arent going to get anyone in. In fact with our current crop of poor strikers - and given Baileys showing, I'd go attacking 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3) for Millwall and play Maher, Bailey and McCormack in the middle - with Gower, JCR more forward supporting MacDonald or probably Bradbury.

All in all, bad hit for confidence today - a draw would have been fair.

Cheers well written. Cant beleive we leave Black on the bench till so late when he seems to be the only one at the moment with that little bit of something special.

Cheers well written. Cant beleive we leave Black on the bench till so late when he seems to be the only one at the moment with that little bit of something special.

Yea, but too be fair, our midfield is very strong.

Gower did well today and JCR, whilst he didnt get the ball alot, was hard-working and we need that pace in the side.

No way was Black going to get on for Bailey or Macca either. Tricky one ...

Cannot disagree with any of the above. Today was my first match of the season and with Bradbury & Harrold up front we are never going to score. They both play to similar, perhaps Tilly was playing for a point and having them hold it up? I have to say I thought Bradders did OK but I just cannot see what Harrold brings to the party and I hate to slag off SUFC players.

Thought Gilbert's distribution was woeful, coming from Arsenal you would think simple passing to a team mate would be drilled in to them but it seems not with this young lad.

Thought Gower played well as did Bailey. Anyone else notice that once Macca got booked he did not really make another challenge and actually bottled out of a few tackles that he would normally fly into and win.

A very very unjust scoreline that other fans will see and think we got spanked but a draw would have been a fair result. Even we had got all 3 points it would have not been unjust. In fact we were by far the better footballing side.

Would have loved to have seen Freddy up against that Leeds defence today. We need a striker desperately.

Leeds fans were very loud.

Thought Gilbert's distribution was woeful, coming from Arsenal you would think simple passing to a team mate would be drilled in to them but it seems not with this young lad....

And the good season at Cardiff last year? Like I said, very odd...

...Anyone else notice that once Macca got booked he did not really make another challenge and actually bottled out of a few tackles that he would normally fly into and win....

Yep, he was a different player after the booking. Great assist for the goal again though - like last week really, ran past the ball-holder, into space and put in a great delivery.

Some of Bradders link up play was ok and Harrold won plenty of flick-ons - but we have nobody to pick them up

If Harrold is to win flick on surely we would have benefited from McDonald playing up there with him, however having scored a hat trick Tilly couldnt really leave Bradders out.

Good report though and you are probably spot on about Leeds at home

Yea, but too be fair, our midfield is very strong.

Gower did well today and JCR, whilst he didnt get the ball alot, was hard-working and we need that pace in the side.

No way was Black going to get on for Bailey or Macca either. Tricky one ...

its all well and good gower and jcr playing well but there main job is to set up goals by creative play and putting in crosses not working hard, thats wat macca and bailey were there for. we need something more creative and black seems to have that, i mean he wasnt even given a start in the cup match during the week, but looked really good when he did come on/

its all well and good gower and jcr playing well but there main job is to set up goals by creative play and putting in crosses not working hard, thats wat macca and bailey were there for. we need something more creative and black seems to have that, i mean he wasnt even given a start in the cup match during the week, but looked really good when he did come on/

Entirely agree. Would certainly start with black over JCR against Millwall as we have to attack and create chance and above all get a result if we're not to loose ground. Perhaps bring on JCR if we need to tighten up and protect a lead later on.

Black over JCR next week...... and i really cant see how you can leave Bailey out. He was absolutely superb today! Showed some of the class hed shown Barnet. I really do believe we have one of the best midfields in this division.

Again though, we desperately, desperately need a quality striker with PACE!

Black over JCR next week...... and i really cant see how you can leave Bailey out. He was absolutely superb today! Showed some of the class hed shown Barnet. I really do believe we have one of the best midfields in this division.

Again though, we desperately, desperately need a quality striker with PACE!

Best midfields by a mile... worst strike force by a long shot!

Jermaine Easter would do very well for you guys he is a class act, another guy worth taking a look at is his cousin Ramon Calliste, who is without a club at present and is a 6 foot 2 striker. We had him on trial after he was released as a young lad by Man U a couple of years ago, he would have come to Layer Road if his agent hadnt got involved and messed us around with inflated demands. Agents and Colchester United do not get on, due to his meddling Ramon lost the chance to sign for us. As it happens he was given a years contract by Liverpool and played in their reserve side scoring quite a few goals but never made the 1st team. He was released by Liverpool and signed for Scunthorpe last season only to suffer a nasty broken ankle in a pre season friendly against Brigg Town, he never made the 1st team after that. Still only 22 and a welsh under 21 international I think he could be one worth a trial, a big lad with loads of skill, and who knows Jermaine might sign as well to play alongside his cousin :)

He has not played any league games as yet but from his performances for us a couple of years ago, I think he has great potential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramon_Calliste

(Bradburys hat-trick was a freak occurance - think everyone will admit it).

MacDonald needs a decent run now if we arent going to get anyone in. In fact with our current crop of poor strikers - and given Baileys showing, I'd go attacking 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3) for Millwall and play Maher, Bailey and McCormack in the middle - with Gower, JCR more forward supporting MacDonald or probably Bradbury.
I don't think Bradbury's hat- trick was a freak, I think he's finally found someone who compliments his style i.e. MacDonald. You can't start bashing Bradders again when the sucessful partnership of Tuesday hasn't been tested over more than one match!

Let's give Bradders & MacDonald a run up front with Gower & Black (drop JCR). It's the only way to see if they are capable of dominating this league. We need to do it now.

I just think we need to stick with the same side and get a bit of continuity going.. Tilly needs to decide what his best 11 is and stay with it....rather than chop and change like we are ****ing Chelsea....it's unsettling for the players.

Pre-season was the time for experimenting, not when we are drawing 1-1 at Elland Road, with 10 mins to go...

I'm all for strength in depth, and putting players in the side who have shown they deserve to start by performing well in training/reserve games. But sticking on untried/unproven players and reshuffling others into unorthodox positions is not a good idea in a league game, as I said earlier, that was what pre-season was for..

Firstly, no way was it a 4-1 hammering. We more than matched Leeds, but our failing in the final 3rd is going to cost us. Harrold missed 2 or 3 good chances (even missed from 2 yards for Barretts goal) - not excusable.

Defensively we did ok - Leeds were happy to lump balls over the top for Beckford and Kandol, most of which Barrett and Clarke dealt with superbly.

Bailey on the other hand, is a little star. Tonnes of energy, strong tackling, good passing - gonna be a tough decision who to go with in midfield.

But back to the point, we are never going to score goals with our crop of strikers (Bradburys hat-trick was a freak occurance - think everyone will admit it).

Driving home, me and my mate hammered through loads of strikers and the only name that kept cropping up was Jermaine Easter. If he is interesting Swindon, then we should be in for him. We need pace and movement up front, cos Bradders and Harrold are statues. Some of Bradders link up play was ok and Harrold won plenty of flick-ons - but we have nobody to pick them up.

Leeds looked very poor - apart from Beckford. Thompson did ok, but the game passed him by - he offered little apart from set-pieces. The Leeds crowd though are awesome and to be honest, I cannot see many teams leaving Elland Road with anything - and I stand by my pre-season predicition that if Leeds dont actually win the league, they will still go up on home form alone.

People will moan about the sub of Richards. As I've said in another thread, if you know a little bit about football then it was a no-brainer. Flo is 6 foot 3 (or more) and we had to defend that. If we had left Gilbert on, Flo would have pulled away onto Gilbert and had a field day.

Hello i am a Leeds fan and i also think that 4-1 flattered us.

From 5 -80 minutes i thought that you guys controlled most of the game and was very impressed with your passing game of football.

Your No:6 Barrett looked a decent old fashion centre half, rugged and tough.

Thanks for your comments re the crowd at ER. Leeds fans are a great bunch and we are not hooli's like some Millwall and Cardiff fans. We are welcoming and friendly.

I hope that you did not feel intimidated at Leeds as we are a friendly bunch and i have only seen one lot of trouble at ER in the last 5 years.

ER is a very safe ground to visit.

I will add some pictures for you but will have to do the rest later, don't worry about the scoreline...4-1 did flatter us and you are not as bad as a 4-1 scoreline may suggest.

Lee

LeedsvSouthend045.jpg

Hello i am a Leeds fan and i also think that 4-1 flattered us.

From 5 -80 minutes i thought that you guys controlled most of the game and was very impressed with your passing game of football.

Your No:6 Barrett looked a decent old fashion centre half, rugged and tough.

Thanks for your comments re the crowd at ER. Leeds fans are a great bunch and we are not hooli's like some Millwall and Cardiff fans. We are welcoming and friendly.

I hope that you did not feel intimidated at Leeds as we are a friendly bunch and i have only seen one lot of trouble at ER in the last 5 years.

ER is a very safe ground to visit.

I will add some pictures for you but will have to do the rest later, don't worry about the scoreline...4-1 did flatter us and you are not as bad as a 4-1 scoreline may suggest.

Lee

LeedsvSouthend045.jpg

Firstly, thankyou for the post. Seems we are fighting a losing battle against a wave of anti Tilly posters in a number of threads on this board. Perhaps this comment needs to be posted in some of the other threads to try and stop the 'Hystericals' from getting the Best manager we have ever had sacked.

did you come home with a headache, i came home with a massive one, and this morning i woke up with a sore throat, but i have no idea, no way was that 4 - 1. long trip home tho!

Firstly, thankyou for the post. Seems we are fighting a losing battle against a wave of anti Tilly posters in a number of threads on this board. Perhaps this comment needs to be posted in some of the other threads to try and stop the 'Hystericals' from getting the Best manager we have ever had sacked.

I think you will find that it is a 'wave' of 2. The rest of us are just questioning and in a non hysterical fashion to boot!

did you come home with a headache, i came home with a massive one, and this morning i woke up with a sore throat, but i have no idea, no way was that 4 - 1. long trip home tho!

Yea, massive headache! Think that was the loudest crowd I've encountered in over 20 years following the Blues - and the ground was a way from being full :eek:

Yea, massive headache! Think that was the loudest crowd I've encountered in over 20 years following the Blues - and the ground was a way from being full :eek:

It came across that way on the radio too. Sounded very, very loud. Conceeding that first goal after only three minutes really was the worst thing we could have done.

Back