• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well Mr corr I wasn't gutted you left one bit, think you was well overrated and ok you got goals but you have to understand any club willing to give you a contract of more than a year are taking a massive risk as your injury problems always come up don't they, would you of done any good in league one ? It's a lot more physical in league one and your body would not hold up to it for the whole season for sure, good luck in league two with Cambridge as I think they will be a top 6 team this year, if they go up then maybe you can find another league two club to join eh, I'm well happy with our new strikers also as they work hard for the rest of the team:smile:

Such a shame he's gone also a shame he's putting dirty washing out in the open as well.

I wouldnt call it dirty washing.... he's just being honest about it....
Playing the lone striker is very tough ( as im sure Mooney/Hunt/Pigott will find out ) + although he did it well for us , it adversely affected his scoring ratio ( + therefore his value as a player ) and also meant he picked up more injuries.
I met him a couple of times outside of football + he was having problems with his back and was very cheesed off that several times Brown forced the players in on a Sunday at late notice for extra training after a defeat. Now for Barry who lived away from his missus + kids ( in Swindon ) a sunday was often the only time he would see them all week so you can imagine how upset this would make you.

He wasnt blessed with any pace but i felt he always gave 100% for SUFC ... his performance at Pompey away a couple of years back was absolutely awesome ... so i wish him well for the future. Whoever plays up front alongside him at Cambridge will get 20 goals with Bazza's assists this year. Good luck mate.

I kinda love him even more after reading that. Sounds like Corr Jnr. is a Shrimper.

I don't have the remotest problem with him, fair play to him, I think tactically it makes sense for him. He is getting paid more, playing a more suited system and against easier opposition with a longer contract. We will obviously never know but I think he may have struggled in League 1, and I am happier as things stand with the strikers we have going into this season.

With that said I will add Jr. onto the back of my shirt next time I am in the club shop!

It's nothing new though. He didn't like playing up front on his own. We knew that back in January.

Yet he barely had to since January, which he conveniently doesnt mention together with the fact they doubled his money.

Love the bloke but he is being very selective in his reasons.

Yet he barely had to since January, which he conveniently doesnt mention together with the fact they doubled his money.

Love the bloke but he is being very selective in his reasons.

He makes it clear it was the better option for him and his family. I think we can all read between the lines. People tend not to explicitly talk about their salary - especially in public. Footballers aren't any different.

He makes it clear it was the better option for him and his family. I think we can all read between the lines. People tend not to explicitly talk about their salary - especially in public. Footballers aren't any different.

He did take the better option for his family because it was the highest paying. Cambridge is not nearer to Swindon last time I checked and he had the chance to go to Oxford or Portsmouth, bigger clubs nearer his family so the motivation must have been financial only.

I dont blame him at all for moving nor for the fact it was money orientated. They have a very short period to earn money and its understandable he took the biggest money offer which will probably be his last contract.

I understand he wouldnt use that as a reason, but anyone who thinks he moved mainly because he didnt like playing on his own up front are ignoring the obvious, he wasnt playing up on his own for half the season.

He did take the better option for his family because it was the highest paying. Cambridge is not nearer to Swindon last time I checked and he had the chance to go to Oxford or Portsmouth, bigger clubs nearer his family so the motivation must have been financial only.

I dont blame him at all for moving nor for the fact it was money orientated. They have a very short period to earn money and its understandable he took the biggest money offer which will probably be his last contract.

I understand he wouldnt use that as a reason, but anyone who thinks he moved mainly because he didnt like playing on his own up front are ignoring the obvious, he wasnt playing up on his own for half the season.

Completely agree with all of that.

Perhaps his family are moving to Cambridge? I dunno.

Doubt it for 2 years when they have stayed there for 5 years when with us.

Corr's partner and child did move down here initially and were living in Rayleigh but after his first year here they moved back to Swindon and Corr lived with Ryan Cresswell.

Barry Corr wasn't the perfect player, but his touch was excellent.

Whether or not we played 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at the end of last season makes no impact on the fact (and it is a fact lets be honest) that we're likely to play a huge chunk of this season with one up front and had Corr stayed here he would have been likely to have played a lot of the season with his back to goal. If he backs himself to score goals then being told that he'll be in a position to score with the side built around giving him crosses and chances then you can see why it would appeal. Portsmouth are also playing one up front, btw and I doubt Cambridge are offering much more than he could have got there.

His main underlying point is that Southend didn't sort out his contract early enough. If he was signed up to a new deal at Christmas then it doesn't matter what Cambridge offer him six months later. Unfortunately that is part and parcel of being a lower league club - we got into huge problems five years ago with having too many players or multi-year contracts which the club could no longer afford. We all know how SUFC got around that back then and none of us want to go through that again. We probably have to be selective with the players who we offer long term deals to and this means that sometimes we'll lose players we'd have rather kept. We got away with it with Timlin this summer, we didn't get away with it with Corr.

Whether or not we played 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at the end of last season makes no impact on the fact (and it is a fact lets be honest) that we're likely to play a huge chunk of this season with one up front and had Corr stayed here he would have been likely to have played a lot of the season with his back to goal. If he backs himself to score goals then being told that he'll be in a position to score with the side built around giving him crosses and chances then you can see why it would appeal. Portsmouth are also playing one up front, btw and I doubt Cambridge are offering much more than he could have got there.

His main underlying point is that Southend didn't sort out his contract early enough. If he was signed up to a new deal at Christmas then it doesn't matter what Cambridge offer him six months later. Unfortunately that is part and parcel of being a lower league club - we got into huge problems five years ago with having too many players or multi-year contracts which the club could no longer afford. We all know how SUFC got around that back then and none of us want to go through that again. We probably have to be selective with the players who we offer long term deals to and this means that sometimes we'll lose players we'd have rather kept. We got away with it with Timlin this summer, we didn't get away with it with Corr.

He certainly was hampered in his goal scoring by the systems we played, we said that at the time when he was getting criticised by some on here.

Whilst that would have played some part in his decision it certainly wasnt a major one, or he wouldnt have "been on the phone every day" trying to sort out a new contract here and could have gone to a bigger club closer to home to get the same thing.

The offering the contract, or lack of, was indeed a major factor of him leaving and another reason why I dont hold it against him. As you say if we had made an effort to keep him we could probably have had him on a contract well beneath what Cambridge offered him.

We didnt do enough to keep him and he took a big contract at the end of his career, thats fair enough.

Back