• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question be honest who else needs to go?

Yup I think we have a decent nucleus of 6-7. Add in some hungry young local players around them (that Tilly/Stan can identify) and I think we’ll start to climb the table.
How do we know that Tilly / Stan can spot a player? In Tilly's last spell the rumour on these forums was that Paul Brush was chief talent-spotter.

Yup I think we have a decent nucleus of 6-7. Add in some hungry young local players around them (that Tilly/Stan can identify) and I think we’ll start to climb the table.
As much as White has been a loyal servant and a great captain in the past, he is part of the toxic losing mentality at the club and for that reason I would move him on

How do we know that Tilly / Stan can spot a player? In Tilly's last spell the rumour on these forums was that Paul Brush was chief talent-spotter.
You trust Anton Robinson to find hungry local talent? Tilly knows the area. He said on a zoom call in the summer with Stan he could “go out tomorrow and bring in 10 local players for a fraction of the budget we spent on journeyman that don’t care”

got to be worth listening to him.

To be fair Dunne was our only player who looked like he gave a **** in the first half, he run out of steam but I think he cares. Egbri, even though he was awful today, at least gives his all too.

Everyone else you’ve listed I’d be quite happy to see the back of, all the listed players were either signed or their contacts were renewed by Brown:Facepalm:What a moron.
But if I played, I'd give my all plus more. But I'd be ****.

Egbri is not good enough. Dunne, Demitriou, Atkinson, White, Agogo and Coulson were good enough once but not any more. Pretty much all their legs have gone.

Passion and belief gets you part of the way. I'd rather have a passionate, hard working caring player than a lazy, fit, prima donna who just wants to stroll about.

But the passionate player has also got to be able to compete. Our lot can't.

You trust Anton Robinson to find hungry local talent? Tilly knows the area. He said on a zoom call in the summer with Stan he could “go out tomorrow and bring in 10 local players for a fraction of the budget we spent on journeyman that don’t care”

Maybe. Certainly the case that that there will be a local lad who can do the job of Atkinson at no more cost to the club. That's why Brown's recruitment this summer was flawed before a ball was kicked.

So do people working for Deliveroo.

Fee loans will be our only option. Of course who chooses them and why could be the problem.

I'm not getting the Duncan criticism. Surely it's pretty standard practice across the academies of the league/s that their "Head of" gets cash incentives as part of their remuneration package - whether that's appearance based, sell on based or whatever? Unless anyone has actual evidence that he is doing something untoward, then surely this criticism is wrong?

This needs to be a complete clearing of the decks situation. I make Stan right, there’s a couple more (at least) in senior roles off the pitch that need to be outed. At the same time I’d rip up the contracts of 4 or 5 players as well. But obviously this will all come at a cost. Can we afford it?….I think we need to be able to afford it unfortunately if we want to start steering the titanic away from the icebergs.

I'm not getting the Duncan criticism. Surely it's pretty standard practice across the academies of the league/s that their "Head of" gets cash incentives as part of their remuneration package - whether that's appearance based, sell on based or whatever? Unless anyone has actual evidence that he is doing something untoward, then surely this criticism is wrong?
Was thinking that earlier.
Ultimately producing talent for a club of our size is always about generating income. Whether it be early sales to the sharky big clubs before they’ve even got near our 1st team. Or bringing them through, playing them, and selling them on to the next level.

Lets be blunt. Without such an incentive I am not sure we would produce even a tenth of what we do.

There’s either way more to it, or everyone is getting tarred with the same “total clear out” brush.

This needs to be a complete clearing of the decks situation. I make Stan right, there’s a couple more (at least) in senior roles off the pitch that need to be outed. At the same time I’d rip up the contracts of 4 or 5 players as well. But obviously this will all come at a cost. Can we afford it?….I think we need to be able to afford it unfortunately if we want to start steering the titanic away from the icebergs.
I agree, Ron has no choice but to put up, again.

By his own admissions he has got so many decisions wrong over the last few years that it’s going to take a big change in his psyche to trust what he is being told.

But if I played, I'd give my all plus more. But I'd be ****.

Egbri is not good enough. Dunne, Demitriou, Atkinson, White, Agogo and Coulson were good enough once but not any more. Pretty much all their legs have gone.

Passion and belief gets you part of the way. I'd rather have a passionate, hard working caring player than a lazy, fit, prima donna who just wants to stroll about.

But the passionate player has also got to be able to compete. Our lot can't.
fully agree with above just watching atkinson yesterday thinking about brown talking about the type of players he would bring in how did he get a contract ? john white a true southend player a few years back but not anymore he should really be hanging up his boots , the others you mentioned should all be honest and say yes time to pack my boots away , egbri might find another club at this level so lets what`s next for us blue army !

Was thinking that earlier.
Ultimately producing talent for a club of our size is always about generating income. Whether it be early sales to the sharky big clubs before they’ve even got near our 1st team. Or bringing them through, playing them, and selling them on to the next level.

Lets be blunt. Without such an incentive I am not sure we would produce even a tenth of what we do.

There’s either way more to it, or everyone is getting tarred with the same “total clear out” brush.
Exactly. I'm sure I remember Ricky turning down offers from other clubs not so long ago, and he was certainly very well respected by other clubs, not least of all at Arsenal's academy.

God forbid there should be any sort of incentive structure. Next there will be bonuses strikers to get goals and goalkeepers to keep clean sheets... What is the world coming to?

As much as White has been a loyal servant and a great captain in the past, he is part of the toxic losing mentality at the club and for that reason I would move him on
Agree with the loyal servant and the toxic losing mentality. But not a great captain, has been skipper off and on for four disastrous seasons on the trot. Captain anonymous is one of the worst captains we have had IMO.

From what people have said - and not sure any of this is confirmed - but seems the problem is selling of players before they are ready. Just rushing them through and touting them to clubs, rather than developing them for us to play in the first team - after a number of appearances would be worth more than the couple of 10ks and Duncan’s kickback.

Was quite striking last night to hear Glenn Speller talk about this quite candidly. Go back and listen if you can - but was surprising to hear a presenter on the radio give such a personal opinion. He cited the way Colchester have brought through players like Szmodics to make a good number of first team appearances and then sold on, so Col U got both benefits rather than just hocked off asap to a prem club to stick in their academy.

On reflection I’m still scratching my head at the whole Brown returning saga. Those desperate days with 6 games to go - the final throw of the dice. Back then it was needed - we did need to do something, even though, by then at that point it was too late. In his first game back it looked like we’d pulled off from the streets - dishevelled, unshaven and scruffy looking. Reality is he was so far out of touch with things it’s descended into a farce. I liked what he did first time round. Like him or not he did get us promoted, and for a brief time, pushing for the championship again. That was 3 years ago though and we’ve all moved since then. I was surprised he got the nod to continue on the National - a league we know nothing about and Brown certainly not.

Reflecting on our recent signings - I’ll be honest I forget that we’ve signed some of them. Louis Walsh is a case in point. He epitomises the serious lack of strategy the scouting team has. Is he good? I don’t even know. One minute he starts, then he’s not on the squad, then he’s on the bench, then he starts and so on. The same could be said for many others. I don’t even know our true squad these days - Akinola is another example, Elvis another. Don’t even get me started on the loan signings. I forgot we had Dennis. I strongly believe we have good forwards in Dalby and Murphy, but they must seriously be wondering what on earth they’ve walked into.

Some serious talent is needed. I really like the things that Collymore is saying. He really is our last and only chance. To me, he’s a true legend. He was only here for one season, yet he loves this club - that to me is a true legend. I was 14 when he was at the club and me and my mates would pretend to be him in the playground. I love the fact that he’s come to our rescue. It makes you question what other ex players are doing to save us. We are dying as a club right in front of our own eyes. We need Collymore now more than ever. Right now I don’t even care if it fails - least he tried and surely that deserves our respect.

I hope yesterday was a step in the right direction. The fact we still attract 4,000 to games shows what a following we have. We barely win a corner these days it’s so depressing. We all love this club, let’s hope we now have a chance to make some bold decisions that are the right decisions for the club. Onwards and upwards.

From what people have said - and not sure any of this is confirmed - but seems the problem is selling of players before they are ready. Just rushing them through and touting them to clubs, rather than developing them for us to play in the first team - after a number of appearances would be worth more than the couple of 10ks and Duncan’s kickback.
What if [and I imagine it is] that's a systemic problem that reaches far above RD's head? It's in the clubs policy to use the academy to help sustain the club where possible, has been for years. We're no strangers to 'fire sales'. Ron is always quick to tell you how far short actual revenue falls.

I also heard the comments about Col U and they have been so much better at producing players to serve their first team, for a long time. But I don't think that comes from a maverick head of youth standing in the way and making sure players stay at the club. It's the ethos of their club and their chairman turning down quick money in favour of the long term reward.

That's what I think anyway. It pains me to say 'Col U are better than us' in any regard but I've thought it for a long time I just never wanted to acknowledge it out loud.

Not to the point that most players are shipped out for personal gain (and when I say personal gain I am taking obscene money) without ever featuring for the first team in any way! You only have to look at Colchester to see how they have brought players through and given the game time.
The man is a pound shop Harry Redknap
And is Ron against Duncan selling players before they've played a match for us? It's no secret Ron has cash flow issues every so often, whose to say Ron isn't telling Duncan that we need to sell some kids to make ends meet?

The issue

Was quite striking last night to hear Glenn Speller talk about this quite candidly. Go back and listen if you can - but was surprising to hear a presenter on the radio give such a personal opinion. He cited the way Colchester have brought through players like Szmodics to make a good number of first team appearances and then sold on, so Col U got both benefits rather than just hocked off asap to a prem club to stick in their academy.
My point but presented much better.

Back