• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you judge Barry Corr ever since he has been with Southend then he has been a huge success. At his best he was too good for this division.
If you judge him by this season, he has been largely disappointing.O.K. he scored a simple tap in header on saturday, but it is still only one goal in 9 games, and some of those games he could have played all day and not scored. He is not getting near the six yard box enough, and like I said before, he has lost even more pace and something is stopping him from jumping high enough to win those balls in the air like he used to do so easily.
Something is not quite right with him, whether it be his back (most likely) or his knee.

Corr has the odd good game but gets booked for petulance and is injury prone. He has a poor first touch and no pace, but otherwise when fit is good enough at this level.
So a team of Corr's would pick up bookings and injuries and give the ball away more often than not.

I sometimes wonder if I am watching the same game and players as others ....

I sometimes wonder if I am watching the same game and players as others ....

One thing I've noticed this season is that some of the people around me are regularly misidentifying the players. Several times I've heard people praise the wrong player eg "well in Conor" when Thompson stepped into midfield and won a tackle or "rubbish Coulthirst" when Weston miscontrolled.

I wonder if this is why the ratings can vary so much?

One thing I've noticed this season is that some of the people around me are regularly misidentifying the players. Several times I've heard people praise the wrong player eg "well in Conor" when Thompson stepped into midfield and won a tackle or "rubbish Coulthirst" when Weston miscontrolled.

League 2 players all look the same to me

I don't mind admitting I am guilty of this and often check with my mate 'who was that' just to be sure I have it right. More to the point people have their own preconceived idea and therefore are more likely to 'notice' when that player meets their own preconceived ideas. ie. People notice a Prosser 'hoof' but don't seem to notice it when his partner that week does exactly the same thing. For Bently the opposite is true , Bentley flies through the air - so it must have been a 'great save'

Corr has the odd good game but gets booked for petulance and is injury prone. He has a poor first touch and no pace, but otherwise when fit is good enough at this level.
So a team of Corr's would pick up bookings and injuries and give the ball away more often than not.
I've often thought Corr has a decent first touch for a big guy.

scored more before his injury when his work rate was poor and he stood up front and players found him. seems to want to do more now but that has affected his scoring. never thought he was much of a footballer but ok at our level. prob needs to do less again and score more.

True. I've heard this a few times at Roots Hall. For example, I've heard people praise Leonard for a good pass/shot/tackle etc, when it was actually Atkinson. Then 10 minutes later, the same person will say Atkinson has done FA, what's the point of him being on the pitch :dim:

Am I the only one who thinks Barry Corr is completely overrated, he has about 1 good game every 10 games. Constantly offside and always wastes chances.

In an age when players come and go every year, having Barry Corr stay around is quite reassuring to me. And it is very much a squad that is required and to me he fits in quite nicely. I would hate to be meeting Burton later in the season with Barry up front for them.

True, I don't think he is at his best so far this season but then the set-up of the team is still being decided and he is not the only one in the team in a similar position.

At this level I think Barry is still a handful. He may not have been scoring regularly this season but that is mainly down to the set up of the side at the moment. If he keeps relatively injury free and we start utilising him better, I'm convinced he will score around 15 goals this season. That may not be massively prolific but I still think he offers a lot more to us than just goals. I'd certainly rather him with us than any of our promotion rivals.
That said, I don't think for one minute that he would be effective at a higher level. If we were to go up this season I would expect him to move on to another league two club....with SUFC legend status intact..!!

Liked him in his first 3 seasons (obviously injured for the second season) but last season and this season he has been rubbish, I really don't get why he's so highly rated.
So without this "rubbish" player in the team do you think we would have gone on to win against Portsmouth without his goal ?

was not in side last night but we scored. his be(a)st days are gone. doubt he would get a move due to not passing fitness test with injuries. handy to have around but not first on team sheet and a replacement needs to b found.

was not in side last night but we scored. his be(a)st days are gone. doubt he would get a move due to not passing fitness test with injuries. handy to have around but not first on team sheet and a replacement needs to b found.
What injuries or more to the point what injuries specifically that would prevent him passing a medical ?

well i am not in the know but it is said he still suffers from back old injury. sure other clubs will know about this. maybe its nothing. can't say. only said doubt he would get move.

well i am not in the know but it is said he still suffers from back old injury. sure other clubs will know about this. maybe its nothing. can't say. only said doubt he would get move.
Don't you think before writing off a players career that you should have some facts to back up a statement like that ?

Back